DAYLIGHT Brightlight EDGE-2 DRL Wiring question.

So I finally received my EDGE-2 daytime running light kit from Dan after months of wait time... They're AWESOME!! excellent fitment, bright, clear, very nice quality. The issue I'm having now is that the running light portion (white LEDs) are always on regardless of headlights being on, parking lights, etc.. Obviously its the Red Wire (power source) thats connected straight to the battery that keeps them on when the car is running. I like how the factory DRL's would be off if the headlights were off, then they'd activate when the lights were on.

So here's my question... Any idea's where on the fuse panel or another wire where I can connect the "power source" wire so that the DRL's come on at bare minimum when the parking lights are on? I was hoping that the parking light fuse was under the hood though that's not the case. I also thought maybe splicing into the power wire of the parking light which would solve the problem though I don't know if there's enough voltage to activate the DRL's. Maybe Dan will chime in since it's his design.

Are you saying connect the red power wire from the kit to the factory running light plug? Or simply remove the power wire and just use the factory harness? I'll take a look at it tomorrow, thanks for the input. Completely forgot about the factory harness. Duh!

and yes.. I'd like these lights to work as the factory running lights did.

I'm confused... you bought Daytime Running Lights but you don't want them on in the daytime?

With the original Edge2 lights, you could simply plug in the factory harness and leave the black and white wires disconnected and the Edge2 lights would function just like the factory ones except much brighter (in this case you would not use the connectors or relay that came with the Edge2 lights). If that was too bright, you could connect the white wire to the yellow/blue wire in the factory connector as well and you would have the 70% brightness - still much brighter than factory. Or you could splice the white wire to the headlight power wire so you would get full brightness with only the parking lights and 70% brightness with the headlights. In either case, connecting the black wire to the turn signal power wires will give you the amber turn signals in the Edge2 lights.

The design of the Edge2 lights was changed a while back to prevent moisture intrusion so it's not a simple matter to plug in the factory connector anymore. The same thing can be accomplished but you'll have to splice the wiring. Install and connect as in the installation instructions but instead of connecting the blue wire to ignition switched power in the fuse box you would connect it to either parking light power or headlight power as above. This allows you to actually use the DRL capability in the future if you decide you want it by merely moving the blue wire to the fuse panel as in the included instructions.

Edited by TheWizard

Well the way I wanted my particular set up has been accomplished. Yes I wanted the lights to operate like factory only they'd be brighter, LED, and I liked the additional turn signal, etc... The solution: rather than connect the fuse supplied red wire to the fuse box (#90-91-92) I tapped that wire into the center wire of the parking light. Now the DRL's operate at full brightness light mentioned above when the parking lights only are on, and they'll dim slightly to 70% when the headlights are on. If one was wanting the DRL to continue at full brightness, they'd just disconnect the dimmer wire from the headlights as noted above in the last post.

• Like 1

I got mine installed yesterday on my SE and love them. My Edge is a work vehicle that will get mileaged out so I did not want to pay too much for it and the SE was equipped just like I wanted it except the omission of the DLR. Now I have it equipped like I wanted it.

My instructions got damaged during the install and Dan sent me a PDF of the instructions pretty quickly so I was able to finish. I would ask him to send you the files just incase if you order a set.

A couple of things I noticed during the install:

-The YouTube video of the install is of V1 and not this version as it is a little different.

-The actual lights are labeled LH and RH but they actually go in the opposite side, maybe China sees it different than we do :doh: (not that they will install in the wrong side as it is odvious where they go).

-The factory does not give you much room to work and the length of factory wiring does not come up much when you disconnect from them light housings. My driver side parking light wire was wrapped around the larger wire loom where it came from. Once I uncoiled it, I had just enough room to work with.

-The long yellow wire that goes to the passenger side is about a foot short if you want to hide thing and make the install tidy.

-There is no example or suggestion on what to do with the "brain" box. In the video of the V1 version, it shows it to use a firewall screw/clip, but I don't think that is am option with this box.

-The connector of the wire that goes into the fuse box is a little tall and it hits the top of the fuse box lid and made it hard to close. Also, be careful how you route that red cable out of the fuse box.

All in all, an excellent addition to any Edge, specially an SE.

Just finished my installation of the DayTimeBright running lights that have the turn signals included in them. The install was pretty much straight forward but there are several things to watch out for.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the lenses are incorrectly marked. The one for the driver's side (LH) is marked RH. The passenger side (RH) is marked LH. You really can't install them incorrectly because they only fit one way. The new connections on the bottom of the running lights are 180 degrees different from the factory lenses. The factory harness has to be turned over in order to lock into the new lenses. No big deal once I tried getting it to click, but then found the problem. The harness is just put in to keep it out of the way and dry, since the bottom connections on the new DRL are dummy connectors.

In addition to the yellow wire for the passenger side needing to be about 1 foot longer, I think the other yellow wire and white wire could use about 1 more foot also. I was able to strip the electrical tape off the wire harness that I had to tap into, and therefore was able to make the connection several inches back allowing just enough slack to mount the box where I wanted it.

The power pick up that goes under the fuse box lid allows use in one of three slots, 90, 92, or 93. I had a fuse in all three locations so put it into 92. The height of the pick up does require you to push down hard in order to seat the fuse cover back on. I also had to use a pair of pliers to push the fuse into the pick up because it was such a tight fit. No way would it go in just pushing by hand. I also cut a piece out of the upper lid so the wire wasn't being crushed with the cover on.

I mounted the box on top of the fuse cover, allowing a bit of slack in the wires so the cover could still be opened with no problem. I ran the wires/cable over to the passenger side by putting it behind the fiber insulation cover on the firewall. I didn't see that that cover ran all the way to the passenger side from the drivers side. Instead, I put the cable on top of some other electrical components on the passenger side and then ran it down to the light. This is where I could have used the extra foot of wire. I could have put all the wire between the fender and the power steering reservoir instead of between the reservoir and the engine. I may go back at a later date and add some wire in order to do that.

The wire for the turn signal on the LH (drivers side) that has to be tapped into is a blue/green wire. All I could find was a yellow/green, a black/green, and a light turquoise wire. I even had my wife look and she saw the same thing. I was about ready to tap into the black/green wire thinking maybe it was a royal blue instead, but couldn't do it without being 100% sure it was the correct wire.

I put a piece of white paper under the turquoise wire, and VERY faintly could see a hint of green running through it! This is the wire I taped into and everything is working correctly. All wires and cables were tie wrapped to prevent movement or chapping.

post-6528-0-63796100-1396037101_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-66769000-1396037127_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-69028300-1396037155_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-17866300-1396037178_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-16471300-1396037202_thumb.jpg

post-6528-0-03775600-1396037669_thumb.jpg

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

One additional note. I thought that when I had the factory lights in, they would come on when I unlocked the car or opened the door with the engine off. Now all the other lights still come on (puddle lights, yellow turn signal/parking lights, etc) but the new DRL lights don't come on like I think the factory lights did.

One additional note. I thought that when I had the factory lights in, they would come on when I unlocked the car or opened the door with the engine off. Now all the other lights still come on (puddle lights, yellow turn signal/parking lights, etc) but the new DRL lights don't come on like I think the factory lights did.

That very situation was discussed at some length in the previous thread on the subject: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12451-new-photos-movie-trailer-edge-2-next-gen-daytime-running-lights/

Basically, you can change where the white wire is connected from being in the headlight circuit to being in the original pipe (or parking light) circuit. The original pipe yellow/blue wire is the most convenient during initial installation because it's right down by the lights but the parking light power is probably easier now that you've finished installation because it's accessible from under the hood.

The only changes in function by moving the white wire will be that the Edge2 lights will work like OEM for locking and unlocking the vehicle and the brightness settings will be somewhat different - they'll be at full brightness only during the day when the other lights are off. When they are connected to the headlight power, they are at full brightness with lights off or with only the parking lights on.

• Like 1

OK, I just checked the link you posted, and was lucky to have found this on page 15 (of 17 pages) reply #288. Thanks for pointing out that discussion.

I installed my set of the EDGE-2 DRLs this morning. Took about 1.5 hours, not really difficult at all. Only change I made was to hook the white wire to the turn-signal's center wire(yellow w/blue stripe) to allow for %70 power with parking lights on, and to retain the courtesy light functions. They work great!

So I have to remove the white wire from the brown/blue headlight harness, and put it on the yellow/blue center wire of the turn signal harness, correct? This will allow the courtesy lights and 70% when lights (parking, headlights, etc)are on when running, and 100% when no lights are on.

Kind of hard to keep up with all of the different wire configurations with that many posts. I just wanted the DRL function, liked the extra turn signal feature, but didn't know about the courtesy light loss if the wires were run per the instructions that came with the kit.

Perhaps Dan should include some of these different functions with his instructional sheet, or even on his video. I watched that and even though it was for a different box which is nothing like the one included now (different way to mount on the old one) it did provide some good guidance.

EDIT- after thinking about this, I don't think the lights will work as a DRL unless I have the parking lights on. I don't see how they would turn on at all if I move the white wire to retain the courtesy light but don't have any lights turned on. I will not have any DRL's UNLESS I have the headlights or parking lights on, correct? I will try and go through those 17 pages of posts on the other link to get caught up on the different wire configurations and what they will and will not do.

Edited by ls973800

If you want the EDGE-2 DRL's to work as the factory DRL's did you'll need to hook it up this way: (this will allow your DRL's to be on ONLY if parking and/or headlights are on)

1) Long yellow wire from control box connects to passenger side YELLOW/PURPLE parking light wire

2) Shorter yellow wire from control box connects to drivers side BLUE/GREEN parking light wire

3) Red wire from control box connects to battery +, Black to battery -

3) White wire from control box can do 1 or 2 things.... a) keep unhooked and DRL white lights will always be 100% brightness.. or B) what ever you splice it to it'll be 70% brightness when that function is on. ie. hook it to high beam, they'll dim on high beam, hook to low beam like the kit suggests, the lights will dim when low beam is on, hook to parking lights, they'll be 70% when parking lights are on, etc..

4) Red Wire with FUSE from control box hooks to the middle parking light wire on the drivers side.

Hooking the fuse red wire to the middle of the 3 parking light wires will make the DRL's turn on if your parking lights or headlights are on.. Basically this fuse wire is the main power source wire. So whatever function you hook this wire too, the lights will turn on.

Thanks for clarifying everything. I will just leave things the way I have them hooked up now. DRL's on when car is running without having to turn on any parking or headlights, 100% bright with no other lights on, 70% bright when other lights are on, and lose the courtesy lights when the car is opened or unlocked.

Hello,

I have a set of OEM DRL with a two wire (black & yellow) pig tail attached. I was going to start the install, but everyone is talking about an after market set, with a lot of bells and whistles. I am not sure what to do. Could anyone help me with what appears to be a simple install? What do I do with these two wires and when will these lights come on? THANKS!!

The OEM pipe lights are not DRLs - they are nowhere near bright enough to be seen in daylight. They are merely accent lights that are designed to come on with the other lights (headlights, parking lights, etc.). That's why people are so excited about the Edge2 replacements... they are very bright (easily visible in daylight), are designed to run with and without the other lights, and have a cool amber turn signal feature.

That being said, if you just want to use the OEM lights you have, they are easy to connect. The yellow wire is power and the black wire is ground. Connect the yellow wire to whatever power source suits the way you want to use the lights. If you connect it to the parking light circuit, the pipe lights will be on whenever any of your other lights are on and will also work with the door lock/unlock function. If you connect to the headlight power wire, the pipe lights will only be on with the headlights. And I suppose you could connect to ignition switched power from the fuse box if you wanted them to work like DRLs (light up whenever the ignition is on) but they really aren't designed for that use.

EDIT: I have seen the OEM pipe lights referred to as DRLs and as fog lights. They are neither. They are hardly as bright as side marker lamps (about 3 candlepower) and are nothing more than decoration.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

I received mine this week and installed them a few days ago. One thing I noticed is that the current lights are not like the older versions. When turn signals are on, they blink in an amber/off pattern instead of the amber/white pattern that many of the videos show. Also, the wiring is quite different from the pamphlet you receive and the DIY install videos on their site.

However, the lights still look awesome. One of the easiest upgrades you can do, the entire thing took me less than an hour and I am not very comfortable around cars:)

The OEM pipe lights are not DRLs - they are nowhere near bright enough to be seen in daylight. They are merely accent lights that are designed to come on with the other lights (headlights, parking lights, etc.). That's why people are so excited about the Edge2 replacements... they are very bright (easily visible in daylight), are designed to run with and without the other lights, and have a cool amber turn signal feature.

That being said, if you just want to use the OEM lights you have, they are easy to connect. The yellow wire is power and the black wire is ground. Connect the yellow wire to whatever power source suits the way you want to use the lights. If you connect it to the parking light circuit, the pipe lights will be on whenever any of your other lights are on and will also work with the door lock/unlock function. If you connect to the headlight power wire, the pipe lights will only be on with the headlights. And I suppose you could connect to ignition switched power from the fuse box if you wanted them to work like DRLs (light up whenever the ignition is on) but they really aren't designed for that use.

EDIT: I have seen the OEM pipe lights referred to as DRLs and as fog lights. They are neither. They are hardly as bright as side marker lamps (about 3 candlepower) and are nothing more than decoration.

Wizard,

Thank you! I was able to get a system which is automatic and I can wire the lights to turn on/off with the ignition. The whole set (lights included) only ran me $75.00. I am not sure I was going for the actual DRL, since my pocket book was setting the pace of my install. The Edge 2 are very expensive and I can put that on my wish list. Maybe if they have a sale, I could justify the added expense since I have already spent 75.00. You have been very helpful, thanks for taking the time to respond! Happy Edging!! PS Does any one want to buy OEM side marker lamps?

I received mine this week and installed them a few days ago. One thing I noticed is that the current lights are not like the older versions. When turn signals are on, they blink in an amber/off pattern instead of the amber/white pattern that many of the videos show. Also, the wiring is quite different from the pamphlet you receive and the DIY install videos on their site.

However, the lights still look awesome. One of the easiest upgrades you can do, the entire thing took me less than an hour and I am not very comfortable around cars:)

That's really interesting. Do your Edge2 lights work as white DRLs (on all the time when the ignition is on)? I had asked about the possibility of having the white DRL turn off on the one side while the turn signals were on so that it would only flash amber instead of alternating amber/white but I was told it couldn't be done.