My ears! How do you turn off the alarm?

It makes sense that once a trailer (or something) is hooked up to the trailer hitch that something is within range of the sensor.

It also makes sense that I could turn the sensor's alarm off when I'm towing....if I knew how. The owner's manual wasn't any help, anyone else know?

Thanks!

It makes sense that once a trailer (or something) is hooked up to the trailer hitch that something is within range of the sensor.

It also makes sense that I could turn the sensor's alarm off when I'm towing....if I knew how. The owner's manual wasn't any help, anyone else know?

Thanks!

Is there a fuse for the reverse sensing system?

Is there a fuse for the reverse sensing system?

Reverse Sensing System (Park assist) (if equipped)

This feature sounds a warning tone to warn the driver of obstacles near

the rear bumper, and functions only when R (Reverse) gear is selected.

1. Select this function from the

SETUP menu to disable the reverse

sensing system feature.

2. Press the RESET control to turn

the rear park assist OFF. When R

(Reverse) gear is selected, PARK ASSIST OFF will be displayed.

It is in the manual under message center.

Richard and Barbie

The problem is, it automaticaly resets back on, every time you turn the car off.

I too would be interested to know if there is a fuse we could pull for long camping trips. I have not found a good solution as of yet.

No, it doesn't. You're confusing turning it off when you start to back up (which only lasts until you restart the vehicle) with going into the setup menu and turning it off permanently.

It's possible I am confusing these two but the only way I have ever turned it off is to go through the setup menu......

It lasts the entire journey until I turn off the vehicle. I would like to turn it off for weeks at a time, if possible. I will doublecheck the instructions above but I am fairly confident that is what I have tried in the past.

Look, I am not saying there is an abnormal amount of backing up with a trailer, I am saying you don't realize HOW MUCH you actually drive in reverse normally. Put a piece of tape on your reverse sensor and deal with it for a week. Be sure to turn off the alarm EVERY time you drive, then tell me you wouldn't want a way to disable it for a week or so at a time.

No phucking wonder people don't ask questions here or suggest ideas. A couple of wiseguys always gotta show up.

No phucking wonder people don't ask questions here or suggest ideas. A couple of answer's always gotta show up.

sensing system feature.

sensing system feature.

But does it re-engage once you turn the car off and back on?

I really don't know. I don't ever turn it off. Of course, I don't have the same experiences as DJ.

I back out of the garage. I back out of parking spaces.

I don't back a trailer into a spot or a boat into the water.

I guess a few more times a day could get on someone's nerves.

*shrug*

• 3 months later...
If you do it from the setup menu it should be turned off permanently. If not that's a bug.

If you turn it off from the message center when you're in reverse it should only turn it off temporarily - until you restart the vehicle.

So can we confirm that if it's not turning off permanently from the setup menu that it's a bug?

I don't want to take it in and be told it's working the way it should.

With a bike rack on the hitch it's a real pain in the butt. My F150 has a button on the dash to turn it off, quick and simple. The Edge makes you scroll through the setup menu to find it. Then it resets itself back the next time you start the car, which the F150 does as well but like I mentioned it's a quick button on the dash to do it.

Edited by dave-m

So can we confirm that if it's not turning off permanently from the setup menu that it's a bug?

I don't want to take it in and be told it's working the way it should.

With a bike rack on the hitch it's a real pain in the butt. My F150 has a button on the dash to turn it off, quick and simple. The Edge makes you scroll through the setup menu to find it. Then it resets itself back the next time you start the car, which the F150 does as well but like I mentioned it's a quick button on the dash to do it.

On my Aviator when you put the vehicle in reverse the reverse parking sensor menu shows up on the message center and you can turn it off temporarily by just pressing the reset button - you don't have to go into the menu.

Have you tried going into the setup menu (when not in Reverse) and turning it off? Then go back in and confirm that it's off. At that point it should not come on when you go into reverse. If it does I'd say it's definitely a bug.

It's possible that you're either turning it off temporarily or not actually turning it off in the setup menu - that's why I suggested going back in and verifying that it's off. Those menus can be tricky.

On my Aviator when you put the vehicle in reverse the reverse parking sensor menu shows up on the message center and you can turn it off temporarily by just pressing the reset button - you don't have to go into the menu.

Have you tried going into the setup menu (when not in Reverse) and turning it off? Then go back in and confirm that it's off. At that point it should not come on when you go into reverse. If it does I'd say it's definitely a bug.

It's possible that you're either turning it off temporarily or not actually turning it off in the setup menu - that's why I suggested going back in and verifying that it's off. Those menus can be tricky.

It seems it's a bit different on the Edge. When you put it in reverse, there's no message and pressing buttons does not shut it off, even temprarily.

I have been going into setup the turn it off, but it comes back on the next time you start it up.

From the manual of an '07 (not very helpful though):

The RSS automatically turns on when the gear selector is placed in

R (Reverse) and the ignition is ON. A control in the message center

allows the driver to disable the system only when the ignition is ON and

the gear selector is in R (Reverse). Refer to Message center in the

Driver Controls chapter for more information.

sensing system feature.

Ohhh, I own one. Unless I am confused with the Murano again....

What shall I try?

I was hoping that someone else who has one could confirm what you're seeing (or not seeing).

When you put it in Reverse - are you saying that you don't get a message on the message center showing the reverse parking sensor status?

When you say you turn it off through the setup menu - is that with the car in Reverse or Park? Go into the setup menu with the vehicle in park, and turn off the reverse parking sensor (go back in and verify that you actually turned it off, then turn the vehicle off and back on and check it again.

I was hoping that someone else who has one could confirm what you're seeing (or not seeing).

When you put it in Reverse - are you saying that you don't get a message on the message center showing the reverse parking sensor status?

When you say you turn it off through the setup menu - is that with the car in Reverse or Park? Go into the setup menu with the vehicle in park, and turn off the reverse parking sensor (go back in and verify that you actually turned it off, then turn the vehicle off and back on and check it again.

I tried it this morning.

When you put it in reverse, nothing shows up on the message center and pressing any of the 3 message center related buttons does not turn off the warning beeper.

When you go into the menu and turn off the park assist feature, then put the vehicle in reverse, a brief warning tone sounds and "park assist off" is displayed on the message center.

If you shut the vehicle off then restart it and put it in reverse, the system resets itself and the park assist feature is turned back on. I've tried it with the vehicle in park and reverse. No difference.

There is no other way to access the park assist feature other than scrolling through the menu (unless I've missed something) and there doesn't appear to be a way to permanently turn off the park assist feature.

Edited by dave-m

I tried it this morning.

When you put it in reverse, nothing shows up on the message center and pressing any of the 3 message center related buttons does not turn off the warning beeper.

When you go into the menu and turn off the park assist feature, then put the vehicle in reverse, a brief warning tone sounds and "park assist off" is displayed on the message center.

If you shut the vehicle off then restart it and put it in reverse, the system resets itself and the park assist feature is turned back on. I've tried it with the vehicle in park and reverse. No difference.

There is no other way to access the park assist feature other than scrolling through the menu (unless I've missed something) and there doesn't appear to be a way to permanently turn off the park assist feature.

That's definitely different from how it used to work and I would at least report it to the dealer. The manual says the feature can be disabled through the setup menu but apparently it doesn't do it permanently - which it should. It's possible that a software update might fix it at some point. Won't hurt to ask.