2015 Edge dealer preview guide

exodus

MKC is a Lincoln. Edge is a Ford. In the U.S.

If folding mirrors is a requirement for Europe or other countries then I'm sure they'll be provided on whichever vehicles need it.

Mondeo is similar. It gets a lot of features that we only get on the MKZ (LED headlamps e.g.). Because in Europe Mondeo is closer to MKZ in pricing.

The MKC is a smaller vehicle, and it has power folding mirrors. If ford is going to market the Edge globally where some countries the streets are narrower, then the power folding mirrors are an excellent feature to have. Even in the US there are a lot of narrow streets and garages, and the power folding mirrors are a convenient feature.

This thread is about the US market Edge, not the global one. Just because a feature isn't offered in the US doesn't mean that it won't be on other market's versions. For example the MKX has had power-folding mirrors available in non-US markets for many years.

If US customer's wanted to pay for them, Ford would be offering them. But Ford looks at more data points than just a handful of internet forum posts when they make these decisions.

This thread is about the US market Edge, not the global one. Just because a feature isn't offered in the US doesn't mean that it won't be on other market's versions. For example the MKX has had power-folding mirrors available in non-US markets for many years.

If US customer's wanted to pay for them, Ford would be offering them. But Ford looks at more data points than just a handful of internet forum posts when they make these decisions.

It is not deal breaker for me, but it would have been a nice feature to have.

Thanks Waldo. I fully understand Ford doesn't care what one person posts on some message board that about 20 people read. I understand how things work. Ford states Ford social is a place to post ideas and requests and that is why I said I was going to post there. I DO understand one post on Ford social isn't going to change anything.

My reasoning:

The cost of power folding mirrors on a 2015 Explorer is $505 list. But on an Explorer Sport, power folding mirrors are part of 401A. 401A is the Sport model's highest option package.

2015 Explorer
Width including mirrors: 90.2"
Width with mirrors folded 82.5"
2015 Edge
Width including mirrors: 87.5"
Width with mirrors folded 79.1"
2016 Edge width has decreased by 1/10 of an inch. So basically the same width as 2015 Edge.
First, I agree with everyone here. I didn't think about power folder mirrors until Blitz brought it up. After some thought, it would be great to have power fold mirrors when a new Edge is parked in the garage. Turn the Edge's engine off and mirrors fold in. I would have a wider walkway. Edge has an 8.4" delta between mirrors folded and unfolded. I'm in lock and step with Blitz, not a deal killer but would been useful. Giving up options like trailer tow package on the Sport model hurts. I have a bike rack and tow light loads with my 2001 4Runner. Very handy. No worries.
Edited by JimPA

The Explorer's mirrors do NOT auto fold. You have to press the switch for them to fold or unfold when required, so don't expect to get the auto fold feature in any case.

Hey Omar. I used the Lincoln MKC for reference and then assumed. Thanks for the correction.

Self parking vehicles may appeal to some people but that's because they can't drive. Taking away the need to complete a pretty common and basic driving task such as parallel parking, IMO, is leading to poorer drivers. What happens when they have to park a different vehicle?

Ever go to pay for something at a store and after the cashier has already entered in the amount tendered showing the change due and you hand over some extra coins? What happens? They look at you as if you're handing over a chicken or pig to pay with. They don't need to count anymore so they can't figure it out. Most have to go grab a calculator.

• Like 1

Self parking vehicles may appeal to some people but that's because they can't drive. Taking away the need to complete a pretty common and basic driving task such as parallel parking, IMO, is leading to poorer drivers. What happens when they have to park a different vehicle?

Ever go to pay for something at a store and after the cashier has already entered in the amount tendered showing the change due and you hand over some extra coins? What happens? They look at you as if you're handing over a chicken or pig to pay with. They don't need to count anymore so they can't figure it out. Most have to go grab a calculator.

LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf.jpg

I doubt I would ever use Enhanced Active Park Assist except for a few times to understand how the technology worked. I enjoy parallel/perpendicular parking. If I get an Edge, I would get the Sport with 401A. May wait a year or so and look at the 2016 Lincoln MKX. I like the look of the Edge much better but maybe the MKX is a better fit.

• 2 weeks later...