2008 Limited AWESOME in the snow!

crew chief

The one thing I really don't like about my Edge so far is that I can't or am afraid to downshift since it's either D or L. I try not to use my brakes too mucn in the snow or wet weather, but w does this affect your slowing down. I do take it out of OD and it seems to do a halfway decent job of engine braking.

Edited by USAF_Ron

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in the Chicago area and tonight I experienced my first snowfall that stuck to the roads since i bought my edge and WOW! I FREAKING LOVE IT! My other car (mustang) has been sitting in the garage this whole winter cause it has to be one of the worst cars ever in the snow...damn RWD :banghead: ...but now I can actually drive more than 10 feet in the snow with my AWD! :happy feet:

First real snow and ice experience was a good one. AWD is amazing even with the stock 20" Pirelli Scorpions. Took off the O/D and cruised right along. . .only minor issue was on icy corners, you don't want to give it too much gas, just nice and easy. . .you'll be fine.

I almost bought snow tires a month ago. . .glad I didn't. :yahoo:

Going to get a nice treadmill and work off this spare tire on my body. :rockon:

• 1 month later...
The one thing I really don't like about my Edge so far is that I can't or am afraid to downshift since it's either D or L. I try not to use my brakes too mucn in the snow or wet weather, but w does this affect your slowing down. I do take it out of OD and it seems to do a halfway decent job of engine braking.

Read the manual about O/D. Downhill (NOT in O/D), hit the brakes, it will auto downshift. Not as good as manual, but I'm getting used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Winters here in NE Ohio are also known for their snowfall. I used the stock 18" Michelins and had absolutely no problems. I live at the top of a long and particularly brutal hill and was totally in control with the AWD system just as it was equipped from the factory. IMO - no need for special tires.

• 1 month later...

I'm a snowmobiler and I tow my enclosed two place snowmobile trailer with two sleds onboard through some downright nasty weather on snow covered, drifted roads. The trailer is aluminum and loaded is about 2200 lbs. Trailer axle follows the Edge wheel tracks.

The Edge performs very well. Lots of power, great handling and I drop the OD at low speeds. It will downshift and use more engine braking with it off. I also drop the shifter down to low and the engine braking works perfect. It is computer controlled so as some fear it does not slam into low. Really takes the load off the brakes.

We trailer thousands of miles and this truck is better than my Explorer LTD was for pulling the sleds. Only down side is the lack of low range when you get buried parking. I just take off the traction control, OD and drop in low and she has always got out all but once.

My wife stuck it into a 5 ft drift on the road beside us and the truck got too much snow underneath and lost traction. The tires were hanging down but unable to bite. It took a shovel to get some snow out from under the chassis and a few strong backs to push it out. I don't fell bad as 30 seconds after we pushed her out a 3/4 ton chev 4x4 buried in 100 ft away coming the other way.

Ice is ice. Just drive with care!

post-515-1239970394_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm a snowmobiler and I tow my enclosed two place snowmobile trailer with two sleds onboard through some downright nasty weather on snow covered, drifted roads. The trailer is aluminum and loaded is about 2200 lbs. Trailer axle follows the Edge wheel tracks.

The Edge performs very well. Lots of power, great handling and I drop the OD at low speeds.

It will downshift and use more engine braking with it off.

I suspect you mean it will simply drop out of OD and disable the converter lockup.

The potential for loss of directional control resulting from engine compression braking, even SLIGHT in some situations, on the front wheels is fairly high for a FWD or F/awd vehicle. So most FWD and F/awd engine/transaxle ECU controllers WILL NOT downshift except to extend engine fuel cut during coastdowns. I would not be very surprised if it were found that the ECU doesn't use extended fuel cut of the OAT is near or below freezing.

I also drop the shifter down to low and the engine braking works perfect.

Very HAZARDOUS practice, especially in the wintertime low traction roadbed conditions. With that trailer weight behind you that is simply BEGGING for a jack-knife situation.

It is computer controlled so as some fear it does not slam into low. Really takes the load off the brakes.

I would suggest judicious use of the rear implemented e-brake or even retrofitting your trailer with electric brakes that can be independently actuated.

We trailer thousands of miles and this truck is better than my Explorer LTD was for pulling the sleds. Only down side is the lack of low range when you get buried parking. I just take off the traction control, OD and drop in low and she has always got out all but once.

My wife stuck it into a 5 ft drift on the road beside us and the truck got too much snow underneath and lost traction. The tires were hanging down but unable to bite. It took a shovel to get some snow out from under the chassis and a few strong backs to push it out. I don't fell bad as 30 seconds after we pushed her out a 3/4 ton chev 4x4 buried in 100 ft away coming the other way.

Ice is ice. Just drive with care!

Edited by wwest