2015 Edge Shipping?

Simple - they're no longer holding back new models when they're ready. One advantage is Ford is bringing out new models when nobody else is so it generates more publicity. That's also why they're debuting vehicles outside of the major auto shows.

Ā 

In this case the Edge got delayed more than expected.

Not sure what has changed over the years, but remember when the new models were on the lots the prior Sept/Oct of the model year it actualy was? Things seem to have changed in a large swing in the opposite direction now.

Most new models from other manufactures are still on lot prior to Sept. There was a delay for some unknown reason for 2015 Edge. I am wondering when the 2016 Edge is coming out with the new Sync 3 replacing all Ford My touch. Maybe on 4-6 month run for 2015 Edge model.

Most new models from other manufactures are still on lot prior to Sept. There was a delay for some unknown reason for 2015 Edge. I am wondering when the 2016 Edge is coming out with the new Sync 3 replacing all Ford My touch. Maybe on 4-6 month run for 2015 Edge model.

If they were to do that then the Sync 3 system would have to be merely a SW upgrade and not a HW upgrade. They wouldn't validate HW specific to the current Sync system only to have it in for a few months. I am hoping that they switch over to Sync 3 sooner rather than later, but somebody else posted a quote from a Ford rep stating that Sync 3 would not be backward compatible with the 2015 Ford Edge. So I doubt we'll be seeing Sync 3 in 2014 on the Edge.

Ā 

But you could take the optimist POV and say that the Ford rep said it's not backwards compatible because they didn't want to incur the cost of upgrading current customers when the Sync 3 system comes out, even though it is fully compatible with the current HW...

They can switch in sync 3 on the assembly line whenever they want to the same way they can put in 2 or 3 different head units. It's just different parts and software. Not saying they will but they could. Very easily.

I was trying to make the point that no matter what hardware they use, they have to test it just like they test anything before they put it into production. If they do have two different sets of hardware for Sync 2 and 3, then they'd be wasting a lot of resources testing The Edge HW for Sync 2 if they were only going to produce it for a few months. However, I know they re-use HW parts between models. It could be that the guts of the HW in the 2015 is the same as the 2014 with updated dedicated buttons which would carry over to 2016 or something. The Sync 3 "guts" could be only validated once for multiple models such as 2016 Explorer & Edge.

Ā 

Long story short, I'm just guessing. I wish I knew.

Edited by cab2g

There is mention of automatic cruise control also delayed until 2016 MY. One of the introduction videos on this forum mentions that. Is that confirmed? The ford site seems to also be absent that option when u build one.

Ā 

Other than the video, have you seen anywhere else that states the delay on the adaptive cruise control.

Ā 

One of the online sales reps from ford told me today, they had not heard of any issue with the adaptive cruise.

Ā 

They also do not list the driver pkg and touring package....so I dont think the build option online is very accurate.

Other than the video, have you seen anywhere else that states the delay on the adaptive cruise control.

Ā 

One of the online sales reps from ford told me today, they had not heard of any issue with the adaptive cruise.

Ā 

They also do not list the driver pkg and touring package....so I dont think the build option online is very accurate.

The order guide stated it was a late availability.

Ā 

post-24673-0-66745700-1423545076_thumb.jpg

2015 Edge Order Guide.pdf

I was trying to make the point that no matter what hardware they use, they have to test it just like they test anything before they put it into production. If they do have two different sets of hardware for Sync 2 and 3, then they'd be wasting a lot of resources testing The Edge HW for Sync 2 if they were only going to produce it for a few months. However, I know they re-use HW parts between models. It could be that the guts of the HW in the 2015 is the same as the 2014 with updated dedicated buttons which would carry over to 2016 or something. The Sync 3 "guts" could be only validated once for multiple models such as 2016 Explorer & Edge.

Ā 

Ā 

The guts of the MFT in the 2015 Edge are exactly the same as the guts in every other MFT vehicle made. The guts of Sync 3 will be exactly the same in every Ford vehicle they put it in. Sync 3 was designed from the beginning to be a straight drop-in to any vehicle designed for the current MFT, so whenever Sync 3 is ready, the Edge will get it.

Ā 

Ā 

They've been developing and testing the 2015 Edge with MFT since day one. It was scheduled to debut last fall well before sync 3 was going to be ready. So all that testing was already done. Sync 3 will be tested on the 2015 Edge because at some point it will replace MFT. So there's no additional testing required. As soon as sync 3 is ready and Ford decides to start offering it they will just swap out the parts and software. My guess is they will wait for a model year changeover but they don't have to. They could do it in the middle of a run and call it job 2 or job 3.

• Like 1

Looks like I may be waiting for a 2016 model if I decide to go with the Edge.

I am thinking same thing! Wait for 2016 modle if getting an Edge Sport. 2016 modle will have sync 3 and probably heating steering wheel and couple other stuff. Plus 2016 will come out in fall or late 2015 calendar year. Very short run on 2015 modle.