2015 Edge Shipping?

24mpg and averaging about 80MPH, that is something to write home about! Highway MPG miles should be significantly higher if you stick to 55-65MPH. Wind resistance increases exponentially at increased speeds. Considering the work that the engine must be doing to maintain 80MPH, I'd say 24MPG is impressive!

Thanks for the review.

Very few places I drive have speed limits less than 70. Here in Michigan it is like the German Autobahn where you Basically drive however fast you feel safe. Many times I am passed and I am doing 80. I understand the increased wind resistance, but like I said the vehicle seems to really move around in it not based on speed, but higher winds. It doesn't feel as "grounded" to the road as my 2011 sport did. Maybe it is the tires I don't know yet as I need to wear them in a bit. Interestingly, my 2014 Lincoln MKS with the 3.7l averaged 23.4 at the same speeds. Are there any freeways that are still 55 anymore anyways?

Very few places I drive have speed limits less than 70. Here in Michigan it is like the German Autobahn where you Basically drive however fast you feel safe. Many times I am passed and I am doing 80. I understand the increased wind resistance, but like I said the vehicle seems to really move around in it not based on speed, but higher winds. It doesn't feel as "grounded" to the road as my 2011 sport did. Maybe it is the tires I don't know yet as I need to wear them in a bit. Interestingly, my 2014 Lincoln MKS with the 3.7l averaged 23.4 at the same speeds. Are there any freeways that are still 55 anymore anyways?

There are some divided highways (not interstates) that are 55 along with 2-lane highways and country roads. I don't know how far out you have to drive for the limit to increase, but all the interstates surrounding Chicago are 55. Of course, almost nobody drives below 65 on them. I'm sure the drag co-efficient on the Edge is much higher than that of the MKS. The speed limit seems like a minimum, I agree. But the EPA rates highway based on driving the speed limit. I am not sure if they do 55 or 65 though. I still think 23.4 is great for a larger SUV going 80 :)

Edited by cab2g

There are some divided highways (not interstates) that are 55 along with 2-lane highways and country roads. I don't know how far out you have to drive for the limit to increase, but all the interstates surrounding Chicago are 55. Of course, almost nobody drives below 65 on them. I'm sure the drag co-efficient on the Edge is much higher than that of the MKS. The speed limit seems like a minimum, I agree. But the EPA rates highway based on driving the speed limit. I am not sure if they do 55 or 65 though. I still think 23.4 is great for a larger SUV going 80 :)

I had a 2013 escape with the 2.0 ecoboost available at the time. I had terrible mileage with it. So much so, that the Powertrain group put a black box in it to see what was going on. Needless to say, the escape did not meet many of the projected mpg numbers and ford paid dearly for it. This version of the 2.0 May be different, at least I hope so. Not only is it pulling around a much bigger vehicle, but I know many refinements have been made. I think the current 2.0 is highway rated at 30 mpg..I will try and see if I can run a stretch of at least 10 miles after zeroing out the computer and see it I can stay at about 60mph and just see what the computer "says" it is getting. After doing basically all city driving all day today, and 110 miles additional on the ticker, my average mpg is still above 23....but then again, so was my big overweight Lincoln with the 3.7. Perhaps the ideal vehicle for this engine to really benefit in mpg would be the escape or the MKC. Smaller vehicle, less weight etc. I don't know if this 2.0 is the same one that my wife has in her MKZ 2.0 hybrid or not...

I had a 2013 escape with the 2.0 ecoboost available at the time. I had terrible mileage with it. So much so, that the Powertrain group put a black box in it to see what was going on. Needless to say, the escape did not meet many of the projected mpg numbers and ford paid dearly for it. This version of the 2.0 May be different, at least I hope so. Not only is it pulling around a much bigger vehicle, but I know many refinements have been made. I think the current 2.0 is highway rated at 30 mpg..I will try and see if I can run a stretch of at least 10 miles after zeroing out the computer and see it I can stay at about 60mph and just see what the computer "says" it is getting. After doing basically all city driving all day today, and 110 miles additional on the ticker, my average mpg is still above 23....but then again, so was my big overweight Lincoln with the 3.7. Perhaps the ideal vehicle for this engine to really benefit in mpg would be the escape or the MKC. Smaller vehicle, less weight etc. I don't know if this 2.0 is the same one that my wife has in her MKZ 2.0 hybrid or not...

Yeah I had seen the media beating up on Ford in the last couple years on 2 fronts, one the 1.6L in the Escape being recalled so many times and two, less than advertised mileage across the board on the Ecoboost and hybrid models. I think C-Max customers even received a refund after litigation. I would hope that Ford took all these things into consideration when designing the the new 2.0L. I'm excited to hear what your 60MPH test shows. I'm hopeful!

Edited by cab2g

I think I read elsewhere a vehicle is off the assembly line when you can print a window sticker online. If that's true, then FordEtis [ http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do ] is showing my Ruby Red Edge Sport with the 401A group and Vistaroof is built. Spring has sprung here with trees and plants budding, and we're looking forward to some traveling. Woof!

Ok now that my new edge has 1038 miles on it, here are some more personal opinions....first let me say that today while my wife had me bustin my hump in the yard, the new edge with the rear seats down can hold 25 bags of mulch. I don't know if that is more or less than the last edge. I have the ceramic leather interior, and I knew that the floor was black regardless of interior color, but what is also nice is the rear compartment behind the seats and the seat backs is black also. My wife MKX last year with the light interior also had the light cargo area and seat backs. The steering wheel controls especially for the radio or the right controls are much more precise than previously. I often times would not use those buttons because I could never get to where I wanted on the screen/controls. The push buttons are awesome! I like the switch from the screen to the buttons, at least you know what you are pushing and it responds instantly. I am getting used to the 2.0 I really don't like the "gerble" sounds that the engine makes when starting from a stop. I am more prone to get into the 3000 rpm range as quick as I can so that I can get the response that I prefer. I still haven't noticed any suspension or handling difference in the "sport" mode other than the higher rpm shift points. Once you are cruising in the edge it is very responsive, but from a dead stop not so much. I have the panoramic roof, and today noticed a little rattle. I was going down a dirt road, so I will have to see what this about on a paved road. I drove about 15 miles, on North Territorial road, for those of you here in Michigan from Godfredson road to Dexter-Pinckney road set the cruise at 55. For that stretch according the computer I averaged 34.3 mpg. The road is fairly flat, but I did have to stop at a few traffic lights. So I would guess that on a highway, about 60 or so, one would get the 30mpg as stated, but I certainly don't drive 55 or 60 or 65 much...another nice feature is that when you are signaling to turn, especially when changing lanes, the BLIS light on that side mirror, flashes, almost to tell you to look twice before switching lanes. I haven't noticed for certain or not, but I think it only does this when it has sensed a car there previously not on lets say a turn it a traffic stop, more while on the move. I do miss the fog lights. I know that it has the running lights, but I also like the fogs. My wife's MKS has bright white running lights, mush brighter than the running octagonal lights here. Well that pretty much covers where I am at after 6 days of having the vehicle so far. I will put another 1000 on it this week as that is pretty standard for me...about 50k year. I will keep you posted as to anything else I might find to type about. I have only seen 1 other one in the road so far in my travels....that was here in mi and it had a plate similar to mine on it, so it was a management incremental lease as well....in closing, the one thing I really miss are my chrome rims and 22" tire and wheel package. I cannot stand the dark rims....it looks like everyone else's out there....when I had my 2011 sport, people would always ask if those were factory rims or not, and when I said they were, they couldn't believe it. No one says anything about these rims...they are 20" but don't have that "turn your head and look twice" to them....just like everyone else's cars and trucks these days...I think that ford should at least let you chose that type of wheel combo if the customer wants or doesn't want the dark,wheels. Frankly, I would probably not order the sport with the 21" wheels because of that dark color...

• Like 1

My roof developed a slight rattle too which I noticed on Fri while it was open. It was coming from where the glass mounts to the mechanism at the front drivers side, there are two torx fastners per mount. It was just a minor tick while moving the glass up and down, think it was a little metal on metal contact. I fixed it myself with a tiny bit of lubricating oil where the two metal pieces come together, just a few drops on the inside of the bracket with the glass open.

Have you noticed when closing the rear hatch with the button, it will come down a little hard at the very end before it latches shut? Not really hard, just not smoothly like I'm used to with other vehicles.

• Like 1

My roof developed a slight rattle too which I noticed on Fri while it was open. It was coming from where the glass mounts to the mechanism at the front drivers side, there are two torx fastners per mount. It was just a minor tick while moving the glass up and down, think it was a little metal on metal contact. I fixed it myself with a tiny bit of lubricating oil where the two metal pieces come together, just a few drops on the inside of the bracket with the glass open.

Have you noticed when closing the rear hatch with the button, it will come down a little hard at the very end before it latches shut? Not really hard, just not smoothly like I'm used to with other vehicles.

Good catch. I will look at later today. I also noticed the last second "slam" of the rear door. Speaking of which, my next door neighbor works for a suppler who is responsible for all the programming of the robotic machines. His company uses their robots to fit the doors and the glass. In particular the windshield and rear glass. Anyway, he noticed that the gaps surrounding my rear door are not consistent. Driver side fit/finish is nice and tight, while the passenger side has a noticeable gap. He stated that the door needs to be re-aligned by lossening the bolts of the hinges at the top and relight ended down. Now, to me it is like having a "spot in my shirt that I know about and is hard for others to see". Possibly this has something to do with the "slam" according to him. It seems as though especially after having closing the rear door manually, that the door should have to "slam" it's way down. It does have a mechanism that pulls the door into lock position after it closes. My Escape seemed to do the same thing, so maybe it is a design issue.

• Like 1

I too have the last second "slam" before the mechanism pulls the door completely closed. I looked at my alignment too and just by looking back and forth, it seems my passenger side gap is a little larger than the driver side. I'll have to take a tape measure to see exactly how "off" it may be.

'15 Edge Sport

EDIT: To add, I averaged 22mpg when driving from MI to VA. 2.7L Ecoboost.

Edited by WingNut
  • Like 1

Ok now that my new edge has 1038 miles on it, here are some more personal opinions....first let me say that today while my wife had me bustin my hump in the yard, the new edge with the rear seats down can hold 25 bags of mulch. I don't know if that is more or less than the last edge. I have the ceramic leather interior, and I knew that the floor was black regardless of interior color, but what is also nice is the rear compartment behind the seats and the seat backs is black also. My wife MKX last year with the light interior also had the light cargo area and seat backs. The steering wheel controls especially for the radio or the right controls are much more precise than previously. I often times would not use those buttons because I could never get to where I wanted on the screen/controls. The push buttons are awesome! I like the switch from the screen to the buttons, at least you know what you are pushing and it responds instantly. I am getting used to the 2.0 I really don't like the "gerble" sounds that the engine makes when starting from a stop. I am more prone to get into the 3000 rpm range as quick as I can so that I can get the response that I prefer. I still haven't noticed any suspension or handling difference in the "sport" mode other than the higher rpm shift points. Once you are cruising in the edge it is very responsive, but from a dead stop not so much. I have the panoramic roof, and today noticed a little rattle. I was going down a dirt road, so I will have to see what this about on a paved road. I drove about 15 miles, on North Territorial road, for those of you here in Michigan from Godfredson road to Dexter-Pinckney road set the cruise at 55. For that stretch according the computer I averaged 34.3 mpg. The road is fairly flat, but I did have to stop at a few traffic lights. So I would guess that on a highway, about 60 or so, one would get the 30mpg as stated, but I certainly don't drive 55 or 60 or 65 much...another nice feature is that when you are signaling to turn, especially when changing lanes, the BLIS light on that side mirror, flashes, almost to tell you to look twice before switching lanes. I haven't noticed for certain or not, but I think it only does this when it has sensed a car there previously not on lets say a turn it a traffic stop, more while on the move. I do miss the fog lights. I know that it has the running lights, but I also like the fogs. My wife's MKS has bright white running lights, mush brighter than the running octagonal lights here. Well that pretty much covers where I am at after 6 days of having the vehicle so far. I will put another 1000 on it this week as that is pretty standard for me...about 50k year. I will keep you posted as to anything else I might find to type about. I have only seen 1 other one in the road so far in my travels....that was here in mi and it had a plate similar to mine on it, so it was a management incremental lease as well....in closing, the one thing I really miss are my chrome rims and 22" tire and wheel package. I cannot stand the dark rims....it looks like everyone else's out there....when I had my 2011 sport, people would always ask if those were factory rims or not, and when I said they were, they couldn't believe it. No one says anything about these rims...they are 20" but don't have that "turn your head and look twice" to them....just like everyone else's cars and trucks these days...I think that ford should at least let you chose that type of wheel combo if the customer wants or doesn't want the dark,wheels. Frankly, I would probably not order the sport with the 21" wheels because of that dark color...

Thanks for doing the "slow" MPG test :) My wife drives slow in general and it'll be her car. So I am excited to hear that you got such good mileage going 55mph.

One thing that I've found that bugs me on the Sport, is this trim piece on the bottom of the door. On the SEL models it is black trim and on the Sport it is painted. Well as you can see, dirt gets in where the trim piece meets the door and it is not easy to get in there with a sponge or wash mitt. So i'll have to get a small padded tool to clean that area out. On the SEL where it is black, you won't see the dirt as easy.

ErwWhLZl.jpg

Good catch. I will look at later today. I also noticed the last second "slam" of the rear door. Speaking of which, my next door neighbor works for a suppler who is responsible for all the programming of the robotic machines. His company uses their robots to fit the doors and the glass. In particular the windshield and rear glass. Anyway, he noticed that the gaps surrounding my rear door are not consistent. Driver side fit/finish is nice and tight, while the passenger side has a noticeable gap. He stated that the door needs to be re-aligned by lossening the bolts of the hinges at the top and relight ended down. Now, to me it is like having a "spot in my shirt that I know about and is hard for others to see". Possibly this has something to do with the "slam" according to him. It seems as though especially after having closing the rear door manually, that the door should have to "slam" it's way down. It does have a mechanism that pulls the door into lock position after it closes. My Escape seemed to do the same thing, so maybe it is a design issue.

rmmick,

can you post pictures of the gaps for us?

I'll like to compare the front and back gaps.

thanks

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing all this information... Does anyone know how long a completed vehicle will sit in the lot in Oakville prior to rail shipment? I ordered my Ti AWD 2.0 in early March, the window sticker was able to generate a production date of 13-April via the Research Maniacs site (researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html), and ETIS (www.etis.ford.com) shows a build date of 21-April. Just a guess, but it seems the window sticker is probably generated when material is pulled and the actual build date in eTIS is when it rolls out the back door... The custom order tracking website (http://www.cotusb.ford.com) does not seem to work, from a few other websites threads it seems that it won't even show a vehicle after you're driving it off your dealer's lot... I'm in Cincinnati, so I am hoping for less than a week sitting in Oakville, maybe a week on the rail system, and another couple days on the back of a big rig.

• Like 1

Your really have a handle on the timing IMO. Have you sent a PM to Tricia on this forum 'FordService'? Send her your VIN and she should be able to give you an ETA to dealer for you. My stab in the dark guess for you would be May 3rd. Please keep us informed. My ETA from her is May 10th.

You are right about the www.cotusb.ford.com website. I entered a VIN of new Edge in dealer's lot and it doesn't show up on here.

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing all this information... Does anyone know how long a completed vehicle will sit in the lot in Oakville prior to rail shipment? I ordered my Ti AWD 2.0 in early March, the window sticker was able to generate a production date of 13-April via the Research Maniacs site (researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html), and ETIS (www.etis.ford.com) shows a build date of 21-April. Just a guess, but it seems the window sticker is probably generated when material is pulled and the actual build date in eTIS is when it rolls out the back door... The custom order tracking website (http://www.cotusb.ford.com) does not seem to work, from a few other websites threads it seems that it won't even show a vehicle after you're driving it off your dealer's lot... I'm in Cincinnati, so I am hoping for less than a week sitting in Oakville, maybe a week on the rail system, and another couple days on the back of a big rig.

Mine was built on April 22nd. No big deal but interesting that yours was built 1 day prior: I ordered mine mid-February. ETA for me is May 10th.