2015 Ford Edge - What's New?

blitz118

Here ia another review/ad saying the new Edge is the closest we can legally get to a self--driving car right now (with enough options I guess).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/new-cars/review-2015-ford-edge-as-close-to-a-self-driving-car-as-can-legally-be-on-the-road/article23445304/

Edited by factor99

Here ia another review/ad saying the new Edge is the closest we can legally get to a self--driving car right now (with enough options I guess).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/new-cars/review-2015-ford-edge-as-close-to-a-self-driving-car-as-can-legally-be-on-the-road/article23445304/

Apparently there's always room for improvement... Apparently adaptive cruise is stupid if it can't drive in stop and go traffic and bring the car to a complete stop.

Ford installs a legacy adaptive cruise control (ACC) on the new Edge. Ford ACC only works at speeds above 20 mph at a time when the industry is fast moving to stop-and-go (also called full-range) ACC. Ford says its owners don’t see the need for stop-and-go ACC. If so, it’s time to move the next focus group to a town where the Ford showroom is bigger than John Deere’s. Traditional ACC such as Ford’s works passably on long vacation drives where highway traffic moves steadily. Stop-and-go ACC takes the hassle out of daily urban highway commuting where speeds vary from 65 mph to 40 to 10 to stopped and back up to 65. It’s hard to imagine an informed focus group saying full-range ACC isn’t preferable.
Adaptive cruise control ought to step up to stop-and-go ACC. Blind spot detection needs a more aggressive driver alert, such as a wheel wheel shaker or seat vibration, not a beep.

from: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/200797-2015-ford-edge-review-dazzling-tech-and-luxury

It's a tech website - of course they want all the latest tech, whether you need it or not.

I love adaptive cruise at highway speeds but I don't see the benefit of full stop and go.

honestly, in the city, you're driving stop and go on the highway at some point most days even if it's not during "rush hour" It really is annoying to keep switching pedals. I see the benefit in full stop and go adaptive cruise control. However, with all the idiots cutting people off, I would need a lot of convincing to actually use adaptive cruise control in stop and go traffic. You're putting a lot of faith in cameras and algorithms to predict and react to irrational human behavior.

What they should add first is full brake support with the collision warning system. The current system only pre-charges the brakes. Ford did announce the new system for the European Mondeo, hopefully it will also reach other models very soon.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/10/23/new-ford-pre-collision-assist-with-pedestrian-detection.html

I personally dont want or need any of this additional tech b/s, such as adaptive cruise control. collision warnings, automatic braking, lane alerts and so forth ....

.I dont trust it and see it being a nightmare regarding potential reliability problems , once the vehicle gets older.

I dont drive with my head up my @ss, so I dont need or want my car trying to second guess my driving commands....

Just watched the TDS video above....The perpendicular park tech is another example of dumbing down driving skills....Geez, if you need your car to do that for you, you clearly dont know how to drive......

Edited by kws6000
  • Like 1

That's why they make base models.

It wont be long until you are forced to take all of these "features", unless you want an entry level car.

I made sure that I got my Flex ecoboost at the tail end of the 2012 model run so I wouldnt end up with the My Touch abortion.....

From what Ive read about the problems with it, I would have taken the hit and dumped the vehicle, if it had it....Either that, or take an axe to the center stack.....

I think that so many of the newer vehicles are so complicated electronically, and the systems so interlinked, that when they get older , they will be scrapped due to the excessive cost associated with fixing the electrical problems, even though the mechanics and body are fine.....

The AutoGuide review spoke about the new/improved AWD system being able to switch 100% of the power from front to rear and even side to side. I don't see anything about this in the Ford literature. Is this true? Can someone elaborate?

Is that not part of the whole dynamic torque vectoring control.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched some of the video posts. Nice to see storage options in the 2015 Edge.

1. Top center of dash, hidden storage pops open. (Ford offered this in the short-lived Ford 500.)

2. Center below control panel, in front of shifter: pops open for cell phone; this is where the USB ports are located.

Side note: Will the USB ports charge a phone when the vehicle is off? They do not in my 2008. Have to use the Power Point.

3. Located behind #2 is and out-of site storage area also; with non-slip liner. (I think the Escape may have this pass-thru area.)

4. Console: I haven't seen any pictures inside the new console. (It looks smaller, but my current Edge is a 2008.)

5. Bottom storage on the front doors looks smaller because of the speaker near the front; no longer a cup-holder down there?

Thought and comments welcome...

I've watched some of the video posts. Nice to see storage options in the 2015 Edge.

1. Top center of dash, hidden storage pops open. (Ford offered this in the short-lived Ford 500.)

2. Center below control panel, in front of shifter: pops open for cell phone; this is where the USB ports are located.

Side note: Will the USB ports charge a phone when the vehicle is off? They do not in my 2008. Have to use the Power Point.

3. Located behind #2 is and out-of site storage area also; with non-slip liner. (I think the Escape may have this pass-thru area.)

4. Console: I haven't seen any pictures inside the new console. (It looks smaller, but my current Edge is a 2008.)

5. Bottom storage on the front doors looks smaller because of the speaker near the front; no longer a cup-holder down there?

Thought and comments welcome...

There is also a small storage I found next to your left knee. It looked like where the fuse panel would be but it is a little pop open storage. I just found it a couple days ago. There is a pass through under the center console with an anti-slip mat.

• Like 1

There is also a small storage I found next to your left knee. It looked like where the fuse panel would be but it is a little pop open storage. I just found it a couple days ago. There is a pass through under the center console with an anti-slip mat.

I had that little drawer storage compartment in a Mercedes S320 that I had It was really a nice little feature to hold small items, I used for change.

Tron, how many miles do you have your new sport? The weather is trying to get nicer here in mi and would think in ny as well. Still have not heard anything on my edge or seen ANY others out there....I wonder if they are producing and shipping them unless there was a stoppage at the plant...anyone have any info? I would think that with the anticipation of this vehicle, they would ship these things 24/7 and get them into the dealers' inventory ASAP.

• Like 1

I had that little drawer storage compartment in a Mercedes S320 that I had It was really a nice little feature to hold small items, I used for change.

Tron, how many miles do you have your new sport? The weather is trying to get nicer here in mi and would think in ny as well. Still have not heard anything on my edge or seen ANY others out there....I wonder if they are producing and shipping them unless there was a stoppage at the plant...anyone have any info? I would think that with the anticipation of this vehicle, they would ship these things 24/7 and get them into the dealers' inventory ASAP.

I think I have around 450 miles.

I am seeing about 20 MPG mostly driving around town. On the highway, I get a lot more, not sure how much. I will be travelling to NC (12 hour trip) in a week and will let you know how well it performs on the highway.

I am not sure why they are not shipping. My buddy at the dealership I bought from has 3 guys waiting for theirs. I think they still have a Tuxedo Black Titanium in their showroom.

post-9584-0-75062400-1428959958_thumb.jpgpost-9584-0-55018700-1428959968_thumb.jpgpost-9584-0-12739500-1428959984_thumb.jpgpost-9584-0-30947800-1428959997_thumb.jpg

I just picked up my titanium today. I will log about 1000 miles this week and will let you know my opinion. The 2.0 is peppy, but not fast....make sense. The torque really peaks at about 3000rpm as they state. I am very satisfied with my choice this time around with opting for the lighter interior instead of the black that comes in the sport. The magnetic metallic and the soft ceramic go very well together in my opinion. I am anxious to order my 2016 and it will be sport as I have drive that engine for a while.

• Like 1