Oil analysis results for 2008 Ford Edge 3.5L with 268,000 miles

macbwt

In addition, the % is based not only on miles but the "driving style" during those miles, including length of journey, number of stop/starts, idling, etc. So you won't get the same percentage for every driver based purely on miles. Though 35% does seem low for 1200 miles, unless you are doing door to door taxi service :)

I will go with them not resetting the system. The other answer maybe taxi or they drove it like they stole it. Neither one of those seems like a good scenario.

In addition, the % is based not only on miles but the "driving style" during those miles, including length of journey, number of stop/starts, idling, etc. So you won't get the same percentage for every driver based purely on miles. Though 35% does seem low for 1200 miles, unless you are doing door to door taxi service :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Before my 2013 Edge I owned a 2008 Ford Focus.

It was a bullet proof little motor with a pretty good tranny. All I ever did to it was change the oil every 4,000 km's. Had 3 tranny filter and oil changes, one upper O2 sensor which may not have been bad really. A few air filters, sparks twice, battery, tensioner and idler pully and belt and front and rear brakes at about 250,000 km's.

I racked up 280,000 when I sold it for the Edge purchase.

Great car for the basic price. I hope the Edge can follow the same. Go FORD!

• Like 2

Just remember once your monitor says change the oil it means change the oil. Oil that breaks down becomes very thin and watery while losing it's viscocity and ability to protect from metal on metal wear. It took me years just to break the 3k oil change habit and you still have oil change places that put stickers with the 3k oil change reminder. After all they make more money when you change your oil more often. I feel comfortable in my old habits of 5-6 k oil changes and view it as cheap insurance. The 2011 has a monitor on it and i will most likely follow it to a point 20 percent left and I will change it.

On my Cobalt I always changed the Synthetic oil at 20-25%. Just sold it to some kid with the lowest % it has ever hit 18%.

• Like 2

SERVER duty? When I owned my 1994 S-10 V6 4.3, I would change oil every 2500 to 3000 km's. Any more and I developed nose bleeds and heart palpitations. lol

When I changed the intake manifold gasket on it, the rocker gallery observed by a licensed mechanic told me that it was the cleanest he's ever seen. In fact he stated it looked like it had just come off the showroom floor! Leads me to believe that changing oil is good an engine and high mileage. I think I sold that S-10 with over 400,000 km's on it when I bought the 2008 Focus. AND! it still had the original water pump on it!!!!

Mind you a whole pile of other stuff was done to that S-10 though.

Edited by Liptoss
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...

My 2008 is around 232,500 miles. Bought it used at 89k. It began its life as a rental in Florida. Change the oil with Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend and Motorcraft filter every 5k and air filter every 10-15k. Changed spark plugs twice and did the transmission TSB myself replacing the TSS, OSS and filling back up with original trans fluid. Replaced 1 Radiator & 1 fan assembly, Will probably need a driver's side axle sooner than later, but boot(s) not ripped and still functioning with some clicking when turning the wheel. Drove it 28k+ this past year between tag renewals.

Edited by y2ksilverbullit