Wipers won't turn off!

Mark S Grantom

I, too, am experiencing the same problem. Windshield wipers stay on at intermittent speed when dial is switched to off position. My 2012 Ford Edge has 44,000 miles. Why so many people having same problem? How many people need to list this problem before Ford looks into a recall? I purchased the extended warranty premium care,hopefully it's covered.

So I don't end up going back to the dealership more than once, does anyone have the correct fix that I can tell them?

Edited by jmshan

I, too, am experiencing the same problem. Windshield wipers stay on at intermittent speed when dial is switched to off position. My 2012 Ford Edge has 44,000 miles. Why so many people having same problem? How many people need to list this problem before Ford looks into a recall? I purchased the extended warranty premium care,hopefully it's covered.

So I don't end up going back to the dealership more than once, does anyone have the correct fix that I can tell them?

The fix is as reported in post#2, replace the wiper switch (stalk). It is about $30, with rain sensing wipers or without. It takes about 10 minutes to replace.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I know this is an older topic but I had to deal with this problem in my Ford 2013 Edge just now. Fast track to solve this problem:

1.) Order the replacement part (wiper switch on steering column). On Ebay it can go as cheap as $25-$30. Auto parts stores, something like 2-3 times more.

2.) *IF* it's driving you crazy and it's not raining and you don't need your wipers (and you're sure it's not going to rain), you can stop the movement by PULLING THE RELAY for the WIPERS. Read your owners manual (also available online). Identify the relay in the fuse box inside the engine compartment and yank it out. Keep it safe - you may need to pop it back in.

3.) Follow multiple youtube vids showing how to swap out the faulty switch once your part comes in. Then put back the relay if you haven't already.

*Note: There is live current going thru the fuse box if the battery is connected. The owners manual will tell you to disconnect the battery before attempting to mess with any high power / amps fuses or relays. Perform the procedure at your own risk.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What I have done was, turn the wipers on, any speed should be fine, during that,push the lever downward(the one swipe mode), during in the one swipe mode, turn off the wipers to 0.

This had fixed my problems for a couple of times. I do not guarantee it will work, but try it.

Thank you. This worked for me.

I have a 2014 Edge Limited

The wipers will turn on intermittent at random times.

I decided to try and replace the switch.

I got mine from RockAuto for $24.78 delivered.

Motorcraft SW7688 DB5Z17A553AB.

There were two different switches available. Mine switch is the basic delay wiper.

I believe the other one was for rain sensing wipers.

I think there are different part numbers for earlier year Edge/MKXs, so look carefully.

The fact that these switches are so available, is generally a sign that Ford has had a major issue with their switches.

And leads me to believe that this is the answer to my problem.

I'll change the switch after Christmas.

I'll let you know how it goes.

post-44999-0-16529400-1513821347_thumb.jpg

post-44999-0-74367400-1513821348_thumb.jpg

post-44999-0-68071000-1513821349_thumb.jpg

post-44999-0-52675800-1513821350_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's never going to warm up in Michigan.

So, I changed the switch yesterday.

It took about 15 minutes.

There is at least one YouTube video.

Pull the steering wheel tilt release lever down.

Swing the steering wheel up, but leave the lever down.

There are 3x 7mm screws to remove on the steering column cover. The lever covered one of them.

Separate the upper and lower covers. I used a plastic pry tool.

Pull the steering wheel down, and turn the steering wheel to the right a quarter turn.

Lift the upper cover up.

This should give you easy access to remove the 2x T10 torx screws holding the switch.

Then the switch may be easily slid out towards the right, or towards the passenger door.

Reverse steps for assembly.

The new switch works fine.

Time will tell if it fixes the intermittent on problem.

• Like 5

ZeeVert,

Thanks for the detailed description. I may need this in a few months when the rainy season starts back up.

In my previous post, I thought Xuduo Li's trick worked, and it did for a while. But eventually, I ended up having to repeat it every time I started my car. So, I pulled the fuse for the wiper motor in the fuse box under the hood and left the fuse out for about a week. Popped it back in and have had no issues so far.

There may be no cause and effect with what I did, but I'm good for now. I may have to replace the stalk if it acts up with heavy use again in May.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Edgingage said:

Can I put a rain-sensor switch/lever if my car originally didn't have one, will it work when raining?  I don't have a problem (...probably looking for one lol).

The switch will most probably work, but not the rain sensing function. At the minimum, you'll need a different windshield and a rain sensor that mounts on the windshield, then some programming.

The difference between the switches is probably only the writings on them, function is the same.

• Like 1