Reverse cam woes

How many miles/kms do you have on the Edge, Leafsgal? Is it past the bumper2bumper warranty? Usually diagnostics cost are rolled into the cost of the repair. If you are just a little out of warranty (by time/mileage), you can contact FordServiceCA on this forum, see what might be able to work out for you.

Post 4 more posts here to get PM privileges. Then PM FordServiceCA with vehicle & situation details to get the ball rolling.

I just bought my 2013 Edge (used) on August 1 and now my rear view camera keeps saying contact dealer. I brought it in twice to the dealer and they said it'd be over $100 just to look at it?!?

If you are just a little out of warranty (by time/mileage), you can contact FordServiceCA on this forum, see what might be able to work out for you.

Post 4 more posts here to get PM privileges. Then PM FordServiceCA with vehicle & situation details to get the ball rolling.

Welcome the community, Leafsgal!

Thanks for reaching out to me. My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. WWWPerfA_ZN0W is correct. Since you’re in Canada, please contact my FordServiceCA colleagues here. They’ll be happy to assist with any question or concerns.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia

Edited by FordService

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, there really is no excuse for the high failure rate. So many vehicles have these without issues and I have had several outdoor cams operating for years without a failure. People should probably file complaints on NHTSA since they do consider this safety equipment. If there are enough reports maybe it will become a recall.

I just replaced my camera now I need to get it reprogrammed. The question I have is will they know what I am talking about or is there something special that I'll need to tell them? By the way you can tighten two nuts together on the studs and back the studs out using a socket without breaking any of the brackets off. I believe they were 1/4-28 threads.

Edited by cjaasg62301

cjaasg62301...not sure what you mean by back the studs out. Do you mean the studs that fix the trim piece to the hatch? Trying to remember what it looked like in there and understand what this does for you. I think the way xK317Hx showed in his write up was done so you didn't have to separate the painted trim piece which is known to break tabs easily.

I recently started to have problems with my backup camera. The alignment graphics disappeared, though the image was fine. About one time in 20, the camera fails completely, and a black screen with a message to contact the dealership appears. After reading through this thread, I suspected the APIM, which still has extended warranty coverage for another six months or so. I took my 2011 Edge Limited to the dealership, with the understanding that I would be charged for a diagnostic if it turned out not to be warranty.

It looked like I had lost my bet. They claimed that it was the camera, and not the APIM. The replacement camera was quoted at $750, so I declined and paid the $105 for the "diagnostic." I then purchased a new, genuine Ford replacement camera online, for about $100. When I swapped out the new camera, the same problem persisted.

I will return to the dealership on Monday to discuss this in more detail, though I am not optimistic. Does anyone know why dealerships balk at warranty work? Does Ford reimburse below market value? If the dealership fails to satisfy, is there a way to escalate directly with Ford, or should I just try a competing dealership with my tale of woe?

Ford does pay less for warranty work and from my experience they are even more reluctant to touch anything MFT related. Many times the issue is not resolved the first time. Good luck dealing with Ford dealers...Even with having Ford Corp involved I had some really bad experiences. I think we have tried 4 or 5 dealers and would only go back to one. We are lucky there are several in the area, some places aren't so lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some questions about removing the bracket with the Dremel tool method. In the picture with the flat blade screwdriver pointing at the hole, is that where the screw started out? It looks like the bracket had already been removed in that picture. Assuming that the screw started out in that location, it appears that you cut a slot in the threaded end of the screw. Is that correct? If there were more thread sticking out, you might have been able to get a vise grips on it. I assume that there is no way to get at the screw head from the other side.

This problem thwarted me the first time, but I took some pictures while I had it apart. Is the screw in question the one with the red arrow? (Hopefully, the image attaches to this post) It looks like the threads are just poking through. Once that screw is removed, can the bracket come right out? Any special trick to re-assembling the whole thing? Starting the screw from the other side could be tricky.

post-37522-0-62581200-1443053462_thumb.jpg

You are correct. The red arrow is the tip of the threads of the screw. I used a dremel tool to cut a slit in the screw and back it out. It was easy to start with the tips of my fingers for reassembly then worked it the rest of the way in with the flat tip driver. That one and only screw holds the little plastics arm in place which holds the camera in place.

Edited by xK317Hx
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cant believe that this has still not become a recall issue as I have now had this same issue for the last 6 months. As of 3 months ago it either goes black with a yellow symbol telling me it is not working or it is always upside down. Seem now my auto headlights aren't turning on as well. My Ford EDGE is also a 2011 and I just hit 80k miles.

I'm about to use the xk317Hx method to remove and replace the camera in my 2012 Edge. One day it was nice and clear next day blurry. Tried everything to clear it up but decided it's time to try a camera change. Question is.....Is it always necessary to have the dealer reprogram for a new camera change? Thanks.

IMG_0118_zpsfbqej2yk.jpg

Edited by goslats

I'm about to use the xk317Hx method to remove and replace the camera in my 2012 Edge. One day it was nice and clear next day blurry. Tried everything to clear it up but decided it's time to try a camera change. Question is.....Is it always necessary to have the dealer reprogram for a new camera change? Thanks.

Check this post, maybe you could try to clean the camera first.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

IMG_0124_zps0cfkhhkf.jpg

Much better!

I took the camera apart as suggested by Russell and cleaned the inside lens and screen. I didn't take all the lenses out because they looked to be sealed well. I pried the camera apart with a screwdriver instead of cutting it open. I think it wasn't sealed well and that's where moisture got in with a film on the inside lens.

The little screw holding the camera clip in place was a buger to get out. I think a 7/64 allen wrench could be used to unscrew it from behind. I didn't have a dremel to slot it so I ended up drilling the plastic around the screw a bit til it was able to pop out. I then put it back together with a nut and bolt and lock washer. Probably easiest in the long run anyhow.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New to this forum and researching topic for my GF's 2011, 80k miles. After reading the post by xK317Hx I am confident I can make this change OK. I have some questions re. this thread. Checking online for camera prices I keep seeing some at around $350 and some at around $100, both billed as OEM. I was wondering if there was a difference in these that I am not seeing.

MY GF called 2 dealers about replacing the camera: One quoted $700+ depending on whether they had to install a new emblem. The other dealer didn't even want the work, and referred her to an auto shop that specializes in car audio, window tinting, etc. What I don't know as of yet (closed on weekends) is their price, and whether or not they would be able to do the reprogramming necessary to regain the back up lines and other functions or if after the camera was changed she would still have to take it to the dealer for the reprogramming. I'll report back on this when I hear back.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who changed the camera themselves, then returned to the dealer for the reprogramming, and how much the dealer charged for this.

I've seen mention of a dongle and Forscan program to DIY on this step. Has anyone done this successfully? I'd be tempted to spend some money to do this if it was in my skill range.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, the auto repair shop which was recommended by one of the dealers quoted $600 for the job. They said it would include the reprogramming. They also said they would "replace all the wiring" going from the camera to to the radio for that price. I call bu****t. What do you think?