Seeking info on Ford Edge reliability

mkaresh

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, to closely track cars as they age.

We've had very good participation by Edge owners, but additional participants would be very helpful, especially for the 2008 and 2009.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Update, latest results:

Updated results have been posted, and the Ford Edge continues to require few repairs--with one exception. 2007 AWDs continue to have much higher repair rates than other Edges because the power transfer unit for the all-wheel-drive system often leaks. Replacing the seal fixes this problem.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Edited by mkaresh

Sounds like a good idea...

I am going to take the wait and see position. I decided to keep my Mariner for another year and see if the Edge proves to be reliable or not. I am also hoping that Ford puts the new engine and trans in the Escape/Mariner next year.

I look forward to your report....

• 3 weeks later...

I am seeing much lower repair rates for the Five Hundred and Freestyle in their second year than in their first, so this may not be a bad strategy. On the other hand, the Fusion has been very reliable right out of the gate. If a few dozen owners participate in the research, I'd have results around the end of May.

People are buying these, right? Friend of mine mentioned that his wife, who never notices cars, mentioned liking the look of the Edge the other day. So people are noticing it and liking what they see.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I just got a new Ford Edge 2wd. The AdvanceTrac light is on. I have tried restarting the engine and pressing the button in. Nothing works. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can't believe it...it's brand new and I already have to take it back to the dealer. What is up with Ford? I really like this vehicle but now I am having second thoughts that it's going to fall apart. Help!!!!!!!

Jim

I wouldn't get too wound up about a single problem--as long as they can fix it. Probably a sensor that needs replacing.

My EDGE SE was in the shop for 2.5 days, started misfiring, engine light on. It was a faulty fuel injector on # 2 cylinder. I've driven 2000 miles since, no problems. I think it was an isolated problem.

I'm really enjoying the vehicle.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just five of these enrolled so far. I'd really like to start collecting data, but need a few more first.

In comparison, I already have 13 GMC Acadias and 20 Saturn Outlooks enrolled. Data collection started on those last month, and I'll have the first results in May.

• 3 weeks later...

Most people enrolled in the panel have no problems with their vehicles. Just the way it is these days, with nearly all cars much more reliable than they used to be.

I'm up to ten of these in the panel, so I'll start collecting data in May. I'd like to have far more. I already have 40 2007 Acura MDXs, for example.

People will pay attention to CR as long as there is no real alternative. Help me create one.

• 4 weeks later...

Up to 14 Edge ownes enrolled, so finally starting to get somewhere.

Up to 63 Acadia/Outlook owners and 50 MDX owners, though. I will have reliability information on these 2007s in August. I'd like to also provide information on the Edge at that time, but will need more participants.

Where are all the Edge people? These SUVs are certainly selling well.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I have with my Edge is it gets better gas mileage than posted on sticker :) . I did have a small issue with the shade that covers the front of the vista roof. They replaced it in 2 days and no more problems. I love it. Quick, sporty, good gas mileage, QUIET INTERIOR, and rides like a champ. I have the SEL FWD. 9000 miles on her as well, so she has been tested. Not to mention I usually drive the crap out of my new cars to make sure they are up to my stanards on reliability. Last 4 years I had mustangs, so that will tell you how I drive.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I to was a little worried about buying a first year vehical. But my shop sponsors the local Ford dealer bicylce racing team so I am friends with many of the service guys and they all told me they have seen almost no issues with the Edge. And the issues they have seen have been common issues any new car could have. Trim piece loose, blinker not blinking, fault sensor etc. So I purchased the base model last month and couldn't be happier......and the mph is great even with my heavy foot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Up to 38 owners. Initial results next month, but probably with an asterisk for insufficient sample size. More participants would certainly help.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Bought the car near the end of June and have put 2000 miles on the car already.

:stats: Signed up today, I think you'll get a pretty good gauge of reliability with how much I love to drive this car!

Andrew

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. The last regular round of survey emails will go out tomorrow. If you didn't own the Edge yet in June, just ignore the emails this month and start replying next month.

If you only had the Edge a few days in June, that's okay, please go ahead and respond.

• 2 months later...
im getting a SE edge in 6 hours!! yay and i signed up for the forum. sounds awesome, many peple dont know this typ of info/service you are providing and will save a lot of people from buying bad cars.

I've been to that site twice, but their was something about it i didn't like. I don't know if it was the info required of me to 'signup' or what, I can't remember, but when i left i had no desire to go back.

It's their site to handle how they want, but it was something about being their, that made me feel uncomfortable.

just my .02$