air intake waste of money on edge

• 10 months later...

I took off my silencer and went into Lowes/HomeDepot and then matched the black abs plastic caps to the size of the muffler protrusions. They are exact, but close. Do not get the white pvc stuff as its heat rating is 140 farenheit max and abs is 180. Underhood temps can gat to well over 200 but where they sit in rubber and are in a cooler air stream, they should be ok. Do remove the rubber intake tube and push them in so they become a flat continuous roof with the surrounding intake roof. In other words, you want the flow to be as uninterrupted and smooth as possible. Don't forget you'll need 2 clamps so they stay in position. I noticed my transmission is more responsive after doing this. 1/3 push on the pedal makes the tranny kick down where 2/3 pedal was needed before. Nice responsiveness. Horsepower increase? I doubt it, but better response. MPG is no worse. Can't say if it's better cause I can't keep my foot out of it after only a month of ownership. Definitely worth the $3 of plastic. Good luck

I know exactly what you mean and noticed the same thing, not only is shifting smoother, but physical shifting (from P, R and to D and back) is also smoother!

All air intakes are a waste of money

I agree- well, with the exception of something like a roots style supercharged V8 that's been turned up from the factory boost levels.

For an Edge, run the stock air box with a paper filter. Zero reason for anything else.

All air intakes are a waste of money

Agreed. A CAI on a modern stock (untuned) engine is a waste of money unless you just want the sound it produces. Otherwise, it does nothing at all to improve performance or mileage. Anyone who thinks they felt an improvement is just wishful thinking to justify the purchase. Sure, they could make a big difference on older carburetted engines but electronic controls on fuel injected vehicles control the air/fuel mixture very precisely and modern intakes already have high flow characteristics. Now, if you do other things (like tune, exhaust, etc.) then a CAI can be a useful part of that setup but on a stock Edge? No.

Look at it his way... if a manufacturer could make any noticeable improvement in fuel economy with some plastic tubing and a filter, don't you think they would be all over that to boost their CAFE rating?

I will admit that I like to replace the stock filter with a dry reusable one just for the convenience of being able to clean and reuse rather than replace. But I put the reusable filter in the stock air box.

Edited by TheWizard

I installed the K&N cold air intake and love the look,sound and power gained. Who cares if I get better mileage. But I bet I will. How could it not the with the way the car breathes. 9.17 hp gained and the wife loves her upgrade.

Hold that K&N filter up to the sunlight. See all those "stars"? Dirt goes right through.

Unless you are racing the thing- stick with a stock paper filter. A K&N only lets additional dirt into your engine.

I installed the K&N cold air intake and love the look,sound and power gained. Who cares if I get better mileage. But I bet I will. How could it not the with the way the car breathes. 9.17 hp gained and the wife loves her upgrade.

Sorry but that simply flies in the face of physics. This is not a ram-air system - the engine only draws whatever air it needs to fill the cylinders and adds the appropriate amount of fuel to the mix. Having less restriction in the intake will not make a stock engine draw more air unless the original intake was too restrictive. The stock intake is actually quite good and can easily provide all the air the engine needs. The only possible difference is having a lower temperature air charge (denser air) but even that is unlikely considering how the stock intake is configured.

I seriously doubt K&N's claim of horsepower gains, and even if it is true it would be at wide open throttle at 5,800 RPM. How often do you drive your Edge like that?

Actual dyno testing on Mustangs has shown that a low restriction air filter and CAI provides exactly zero benefit unless combined with other modifications. That's in a car with similar engine (Cyclone V6) and a huge aftermarket of performance upgrades... what chance does a people hauler like the Edge have?

Look and sound? Sure. Power and mileage? Not a chance of anything perceptible in normal driving. If you want a performance boost, save the $300 and use it to buy non-ethanol fuel.

• Like 1