2.0 ecoboost..how is working in the new Edge?

garrett62

Just drove a new SEL 2.0EB today. I currently have a 2011 Ltd. I didn't floor it but drove it as if on the on ramp to a highway. Yes, there's that ½ second lag, but I was impressed by the 2.0. I believe the 275 torque @ 3000 rpm (versus my 2011 253@4000 rpm) makes a difference even if it has 40 hp less. Overall it felt zippier than my 2011 V6.

What a beast that 2.7EB must be... dealer hadn't received any Sport yet.

I have a 2.0L Ecoboost AWD in my 2015 SEL and I'm coming from a 2011 V6 SEL FWD. Can I tell a difference? Yes, I can tell it's not the same V6 engine, more from the sounds of the engine than the performance but I can tell. Does the 2.0L perform? Yes, the acceleration and over performance meets my expectation. Am I saving any gas? No, 850 miles in and I'm avg 22MPG on mixed highway and local daily commute, the same I got on my V6. I realize I now have AWD vs. my old FWD but Ford gives higher MPG numbers on my 2015. Maybe this will improve some over time.

HP drives the torque. I had a grandam that had a whopping 90 hp in a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. This car had some outstanding git up and go from one stop light to another. Highway speed passing at 60 mph or higher it was a dog. It needed more HP to provide the torque plain and simple.

Not a racer but I believe HP makes a difference in the top end later. Torque for most of us is needed at the start. more torque at the low end makes it seem faster and is, but HP rules overall at highend speeds.

HP drives the torque. I had a grandam that had a whopping 90 hp in a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. This car had some outstanding git up and go from one stop light to another. Highway speed passing at 60 mph or higher it was a dog. It needed more HP to provide the torque plain and simple.

Actually it's the opposite - torque drives hp. hp = torque x rpm/5252. The difference is whether you get the max torque at lower or higher RPM. Peak torque at lower rpm provides more get up and go. Peak torque at higher rpm yields better passing power. Diesels build lots of torque but at lower rpm. The ecoboost engines are similar in that they reach peak torque more quickly.

• Like 1

You always want torque where it can best be utilized, no good if you can't put it to the ground. The nice thing about EB engines is the rapid build and then the flattish curve after. For exampe, the 3.5L EB:

BE_2010_Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/03/ford-details-how-ecoboost-promises-to-be-more-powerful-eco-frie/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm used to driving a 5.7 liter Hemi, so I was pretty... and pleasantly... surprised when we test drove the Eco-Boost 2.0. It got up and went, when I got into the throttle! It doesn't have the nice rumble of the V-8, but I can easily overlook that, considering the performance from such a small displacement engine.

Of course, comparing an Edge Titanium to a Magnum R/T is like comparing an butter knife to a chainsaw... they're meant to do different things. However, on future road trips... probably the ONLY time I'll get to drive it... the nod will go to the Edge.

• 5 months later...

I'm actually very impressed with the 2.0L. We came from a V6 NA Murano with virtually identical HP/TQ ratings, but I expected the Edge to feel less powerful given the 4cyl and Turbo (lag). The Ford is actually very smooth and it has decent power for daily driving and when you need to give it. The fuel economy isn't too special, but it's new so we'll see.

Note: I test drive a 2016 Edge and wasn't that impressed, but I find our '17 Edge much smoother and a bit more powerful. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's because I use 92 octane or maybe they did some minor tuning for '17 to improve the drivability, but so far I'm happy with the 2.0T.

There's really no replacement for displacement if you are towing a lot. The occasional tow is ok (as long as you're within spec) on either engine.

I haven't had any issues with the 2.0 Ecoboost. It's a peppy little engine with little to no lag. It does seem pickier when it comes to the quality of the fuel as a performance & fuel economy. Only issue i have a concern with is the blow by & oil in the in the intake & coking issue. I plan on installing an Oil Catch Can to help combat the above issues.

My fuel economy is on par with our old 2006 Mazda 6i with the 2.3L duratec, but the get up & go factor is vastly improved over the Mazda 6.

• Like 1

Catch can shouldn't void the warranty, but depends on the dealership. Premium fuel can help, but the flaw with deposits is the design of the direct injection. The intake valves don't clean themselves like traditional engines because the fuel is added in the combustion chamber directly, not like the older engines. The other issue is blow-by, which is where the catch can comes into play. It keeps the oil vaper that gets past the rings, from entering the intake system. The type of oil you use & weight make a difference as well.

• Like 1

The problem with catch cans is that there is some dependency on the owner to understand PCV flow under boost and non-boost conditions. Sometimes they don't get enough guidance from the seller, sometimes they decide to omit parts of the system. So understandably, diagnosing a problem with the engine becomes more complicated, which MAY increase the risk of warranty denial.

The key is to implement the catch can properly, take your time, do it right.

• Like 1

Between regular the premium fuel, I believe that the difference is about 8hp on the 2.0 litre. The big difference you may be feeling is that the torque curve is flatter and more aggressive with premium fuel. I am now on my 3rd Ecoboost and that is what my butt dyno told me when I tried different octane fuels out in my previous Ecoboosts which were the 3.5 and 2.0. I currently have the 2.7.

The newer ecoboost engines supposedly are built in such a way to minimize the buildup. I hear a few rumblings about build up but if it was a serious issue don't you think we would hear more about it? A lot of it can probably be traced back to cheap oil, bad gas, and poor maintenance. There will always be a little build up on valves regardless. Plus you just have to give the car a good workout like ntrain says. I love the feel of the turbo kicking in now and then.

I think the catch cans catch more of the money from your wallet then oil that's going to buildup on your valves....lol jmo though others may swear by them, while other may swear at them...

As far as how the engine is so far I like it, hills are no problem, pick up is great, most can't believe it's a 4-cylinder. I have had it filled with people and luggage and it didn't seem to change the power at all. You do need to adjust some to the turbo lag but not noticeable to me now once you know what to expect.

Edited by haedgy
  • Like 1

The other thing about catch cans that could become an issue depending on where you live is that they are NOT emissions legal. It is against federal law to modify the factory emissions control system in any way. So long as your Edge passes smog without any Christmas lights on the dashboard, you should be fine but just keep that in mind. People swear by them but we just do not have any evidence to determine whether they help or not. We do know that there are plenty of high mileage 3.5's in the F150 world right now that have no drivability issues despite some of them having some funky looking buildup inside. We will probably have to wait till we start seeing a few high mileage 3.5's hit that were running a catch can.

Good Point junehhan. California sucks when it comes to smog and mods to "the system" then again they won't start to check a car until it's over 5 years old. Also I wouldn't want to give the Ford dealers any thing they can point to and say that's not stock your car is no longer covered for x,y, and z.

Catch cans make sense logically, but I still think a lot of what they catch either gets burned up or blown out of the exhaust. I think if you stick to decent oil either a good syn blend or full syn and change regularly as recommended you should have no issues.

Besides as I said if that much oil was getting burned past the valve you would have a bigger problem, not to mention topping of your oil every month.