Sport 0-60 and 1/4 mile

Magnetic Edge

Here are the stats from a quick run I made with a VBOX just to see what she would do since there are no stats out yet.

2015 Edge Sport AWD

550 miles

1/4 tank of 93 octane

Driver only

Outside temp 44F

Shifter in drive

Brake torqued to 2000rpm to build boost

0-60 5.9 seconds

1/4 mile 14.4 @ 100.3

It kinda launched soft then took off.

Brake torqued to 1500rpm

0-60 5.8 seconds

1/4 mile 14.3 @ 100.6

Much better launch this time

Edited by Magnetic Edge
  • Like 6

That information may sway me from the Titanium V6 to the Sport. I have been lurking on this forum for a month or so and am likely to order in another month or so. Thanks for the numbers Magnetic Edge.

You're welcome. It doesn't seem like it puts up those numbers but it does pull really good and doesn't let up. Plus the sound the engine makes is really nice too. Has a deep growl to it. I would say with a couple thousand miles on it I might get another tenth out of it. I really thought it was going to be closer to a 15.xxx and could not believe it was a low 14.

That information may sway me from the Titanium V6 to the Sport. I have been lurking on this forum for a month or so and am likely to order in another month or so. Thanks for the numbers Magnetic Edge.

I test drove both a Titanium V6 and a Sport. Night and day difference. The 3.5 V6 felt under-powered to me. The Ecoboost 2.7 has a broader power curve and once in boost pulls pretty hard for an SUV.

I test drove both a Titanium V6 and a Sport. Night and day difference. The 3.5 V6 felt under-powered to me. The Ecoboost 2.7 has a broader power curve and once in boost pulls pretty hard for an SUV.

I can also agree this sentiment. The Titanium V6 is definitely a little sluggish. It only has 240 lb/ft of torque... Don't get it if you want awesome acceleration. The only benefit over the 2.0 Ecoboost in my opinion is cheaper repairs down the road.

I have not done a 0-60 time yet. I have 2500 miles on my Edge due to a family vacation last week. I put nearly 2000 miles on it. I suspect that my Torque app is not as accurate as the vBox.Did you try "Sport" mode?

Didn't get a chance to test anything other than D as I was using a "non approved area" for my runs. I wonder if Sport mode or using the paddle shifters would make a difference.

Didn't get a chance to test anything other than D as I was using a "non approved area" for my runs. I wonder if Sport mode or using the paddle shifters would make a difference.

I would hope that Ford would've figured out the optimal shift points in Sport mode to get the best 0-60 time. However, they may have tried to balance performance and overall fuel efficiency even in sport mode. So maybe you can get better times with paddle shifters. But just have a spare set of rear tires on hand while you practice :)

I would hope that Ford would've figured out the optimal shift points in Sport mode to get the best 0-60 time. However, they may have tried to balance performance and overall fuel efficiency even in sport mode. So maybe you can get better times with paddle shifters. But just have a spare set of rear tires on hand while you practice :)

According to the owners manual, Sport mode shifts quicker and at higher engine speeds. I tried it to see if I noticed any difference and it definitely shifts quicker and about 100-200 rpm higher than in Drive. In Sport mode, I was able to knock off another .1 second 0-60 and 1/4 mile under similar conditions except it was about 10 degrees (54F) warmer now but still pretty cool air. So now my Edge is running 14.2 according to the VBOX Sport.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i wonder if the technicians at the dealer can chip the sport 2.7 with the F-150? That'd liven it up even a little more.

Unfortunately no. They are the same engine, but with many differences. I suspect other than the transverse mounting and different transmission & programming it may also have slightly different heads and/or cams. As always, best to get a custom tune though it helps to go to someone who has tuned the 2.7 in an F150 because they are very similar though not identical

It would be easier to try to tune it like a 2016 MKX as it should be using the exact same engine/drivetrain but tuned to 335HP & 380lbs-ft.

Would be interesting to see dyno and instrumented test comparisons between the two. Would not be surprised if the Edge is being underrated to protect the MKX

That's REALLY impressive for an SUV to run times & speeds like that. SON's first car was a '88 Mustang GT 5-speed hatchback with T-tops. With the high output 5.0L his best stock quarter mile was around 14.4 to 14.5, then the modifications came. He was able to finally get into the high 13's. Traction was an issue getting out of the hole.

That's REALLY impressive for an SUV to run times & speeds like that. SON's first car was a '88 Mustang GT 5-speed hatchback with T-tops. With the high output 5.0L his best stock quarter mile was around 14.4 to 14.5, then the modifications came. He was able to finally get into the high 13's. Traction was an issue getting out of the hole.

Yeah, its amazing to think the power output is equal or better (torque wise at least) to a 2001 Cobra Mustang with a DOHC 4.6L

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

2015 Edge Sport AWD
1100 miles

Less than 1/4 tank of 93 octane

Driver only
Outside temp 68F
Shifter in sport

No brake torque, just mash gas
0-60 (1 foot roll out (similar to what some car mags do) = 5.900 seconds

0-60 (no roll out) = 6.324
Slope = .089% (pretty darn flat)
DA = 682 feet
Further testing with brake boosting and maybe cooler air will yield better results, pretty happy with what I have now.
  • Like 2

Update:

2015 Edge Sport AWD

1100 miles

Less than 1/4 tank of 93 octane

Driver only

Outside temp 68F

Shifter in sport

No brake torque, just mash gas

0-60 (1 foot roll out (similar to what some car mags do) = 5.900 seconds

0-60 (no roll out) = 6.324
Slope = .089% (pretty darn flat)
DA = 682 feet
Further testing with brake boosting and maybe cooler air will yield better results, pretty happy with what I have now.

I would love to see the same test with your VBox on a 2016 2.7 MKX. What's a VBox cost to get into? If spendy... is there any cheaper alternative that would provide reliable results? I have tried apps on my iPhone... but they are soooo widely variable in the data they spit out that I just don't put much faith in the results.

An Aeroforce gauge should be an option for anyone looking for a nice addition and some "simple" displays. These are very accurate. If you get two, they might have a gauge pod to mount to the center speaker panel area for your application. If just one, many have mounted it to the top of the steering column, behind the wheel.

Vbox sport is a bit above $400. Nothing is as accurate as a full GPS 20mhz device with multiple data points to measure speed.

Aeroforce gauge measure through speed sensors and other readings within the car, but unless you truly know how level the road is or if you out different wheels or tires on, it won't be more accurate then a crappy cell app.

If someone wants to hook me up with a Lincoln in the Ma/Ri/Ct area I'll test as much as you guys want.