2015 Edge Sport Towing

Yes, got the hitch and harness from curt. The part numbers are 13224 for the hitch, and 56272 for the harness. Was $200 shipped (Canadian). Pretty good deal!

I was thinking about going with the hidden hitch but it actually looks like the curt is covered more.

Cool post pictures when done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just had this same hitch installed yesterday on my 2015 Sport. I had my buddy do it at his shop and he said the hardest part was running the wire from the rear of the vehicle up to the front battery. The wire kit is plug and play, but you do have to run a wire directly to the battery. Overall it looks good, but I did find it a bit more difficult to open the tailgate with your foot, although it does work.

I plan to tow my 18' aluminimum fishing boat and my ATV with my Edge. I hope that it is able to tow the boat ok as it is about 2,800lbs including trailer. tounge weight is not to bad, but as pointed out before this hitch does sit somewhat low. I also have an adjustable ball mount and will be using that.

Jeff

• Like 1

I just had this same hitch installed yesterday on my 2015 Sport. I had my buddy do it at his shop and he said the hardest part was running the wire from the rear of the vehicle up to the front battery. The wire kit is plug and play, but you do have to run a wire directly to the battery. Overall it looks good, but I did find it a bit more difficult to open the tailgate with your foot, although it does work.

I plan to tow my 18' aluminimum fishing boat and my ATV with my Edge. I hope that it is able to tow the boat ok as it is about 2,800lbs including trailer. tounge weight is not to bad, but as pointed out before this hitch does sit somewhat low. I also have an adjustable ball mount and will be using that.

Jeff

Nice! Would you be able to post a picture? I like seeing how these turn out.

Got the curt hitch installed on my Sport today for $280 labor included. I did not get the wiring as we have an MDX that we use for towing, this is just for my bike rack/etc.

More or less meh about it... I like that I finally have a hitch, hate that it's not hidden under the bumper. Maybe I'll post pics later but it more or less looks the same as the one duder above with his silver sport.

The pictures that have been taken are very deceiving since they are from a standing position. Some of the pics you can really see the cross bar and I know I would hate to see that from the back. I hope hidden hitch somehow conceals it more but there is not much room in the rear. I do really need a hitch for my bike racks!!! It is a pain traveling to races with the bike in the car and a wife and a 3 year old!

Edited by Jimmy Sosinski

The pictures that have been taken are very deceiving since they are from a standing position. Some of the pics you can really see the cross bar and I know I would hate to see that from the back. I hope hidden hitch somehow conceals it more but there is not much room in the rear. I do really need a hitch for my bike racks!!! It is a pain traveling to races with the bike in the car and a wife and a 3 year old!

Throw the bike on a roof rack?

Throw the bike on a roof rack?

My bike is way too expensive to be sitting on the top of the car. If you use the rack on top that uses a quick release for the front fork, the bike moves around way too much in the wind and I am not big on my carbon bike flexing that much. The ones that you leave both wheels on is another option, but it still moves around a lot and you definitely have to be aware of something that tall on top of your car. I am just not comfortable with it on top of the car.

Edited by Jimmy Sosinski

Yes, got the hitch and harness from curt. The part numbers are 13224 for the hitch, and 56272 for the harness. Was $200 shipped (Canadian). Pretty good deal!

I was thinking about going with the hidden hitch but it actually looks like the curt is covered more.

Isn't the correct part number #13234? That is the one that mentions the sport model in the directions. The #13224 says not sport.

• 4 weeks later...

My bike is way too expensive to be sitting on the top of the car. If you use the rack on top that uses a quick release for the front fork, the bike moves around way too much in the wind and I am not big on my carbon bike flexing that much. The ones that you leave both wheels on is another option, but it still moves around a lot and you definitely have to be aware of something that tall on top of your car. I am just not comfortable with it on top of the car.

I am looking to do the exact same thing for my road bike on my edge sport. Did you end up getting the curt hitch installed? If so, how do you like it? What hitch mounted bike rack do you have/considering?

I put a Class-III (2" receiver) Curt hitch on my 2015 Sport just the other day... the correct hitch in this size is Curt #13234 ($157.59 from Hitchmart online) and the correct wiring kit is Curt # 56272 ($69.88 from Hitchmart online).

Their instructions stated that it should take an "expert" installer about 30 minutes to install the hitch, and a "novice" about 60 minutes; their estimate was laughable, at best! I'm not a novice, as I have done a few of these before, but in this case, it took me about 4 hours, due to all the disassembly you have to do first (lowering the rear of the exhaust system; removing the Sport exhaust bezels first, etc... plus, it was a bear fishing the bolts and backing plates up through those tiny hidden openings in the rear of the frame rails... all issues which combined to slow-down my progress considerably.

However... once the hitch was installed, I was VERY pleased with the look (as noted in the attached photo). The hitch is powdercoated black, and I think it looks just fine, but that's one man's opinion.

Sadly, when I tested the wiring kit and module that I had just installed, the turn signals and running lights all worked fine... but I had no stoplamps whatsoever! However, I called Curt and they were very helpful in providing technical support, and they immediately sent me out a new replacement module (which I'm hoping to install and re-test this weekend, hopefully with better results).

post-37844-0-55656700-1444467662_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up regarding my earlier wiring-kit problems:

Although Curt sent me a new (and slightly-different) wiring module, I STILL had no brake lights coming out of the module after splicing-in the new one. I then traced and tested all the wiring back to the L/H OEM wiring harness connector, and found that I had a stop lamp signal going IN to the rear lamp housing... but no stop signal coming back OUT of either the lamp housing nor the Curt wiring harness. This therefore resulted in my getting no stop lamp signal going into the Curt module (and obviously nothing then going out of the module down to the trailer connector harness.

Ironically, the new module that Curt sent me had an extra lead going into it... one that my original module did not have. It was colored Red and labeled "Stop-lamps". In the interest of having already spent too much time on this problem, I decided to run that lead up to the stop lamp lead (going into the tail lamp assembly), and suddenly I finally had my stop lamp signal showing-up at the 4-flat wiring harness going to the trailer! I then re-ran this extra wire to the stop-lamp lead on a permanent basis, and put it all back together... and the problem is finally solved.

I have no idea as to why their #56272 kit was not working as designed on my particular car, but at least I finally got that issue resolved (although via using an extra input wire to do it)... but, as long as it's now working, right?

Saturday 17th I bought a Sport, in Tri coat and moon roof. My second Edge. Love it but I need a 1.25" hitch for my Yakima Bike rack. In all the other years you could buy a bumper insert with a Ford hitch. My 2009 bolted up in 2 hours.

I want the Ford mounting location. parallel with the exhaust. The hitch is a option on 2015 SEL and Titanium. Not sure why its not offered on Sport

(not my edge , just stock image off internet showing OE hitch parallel with exhaust.)

-533-p7.jpg

I"ll ask at SEMA show next week in Vegas. Maybe I'll have to custom make it

Edited by Picturepro

Has anyone contacted Torklift? www.torkliftcentral.com They don't have a receiver for the 15+ Edge yet, but say on their website they will create one... On the VW Golf forum I am on, a user worked with them to have one made for his shiny new Golf R, which has the same problem as the Edge Sport. They developed one for him, then made it an available option on their website. There's a video of (what I assume is) his car on there...

BTW - first post! Don't have an Edge yet, but seriously considering a '16 Sport to replace my '12 VW GTI. I am a giant, and while the GTI actually fits me pretty well, I think the Edge minus the vista roof may be a little more comfy for me while giving me enough performance... And I love the family Flex, so why not.

My 2015 Sport, love it but wish the AC seats were working. In time Ford will correct.

First mod was Tint drives and passenger windows. Tried a ceramic tint, it cuts 48% of the heat from the light tint

CA police do not like tinted front doors. Next will be the Weathertech rear cargo floor mat. Driving to SEMA in Vegas Monday and

the display and think they give discounts if you place a order with SHOW code.

O32tmIF.jpg

My 2009 SEL with 1.25" Yakima rack

A6BAAA8.jpg

same rack on my other car... 2005 S2000

51M86hv.jpg

Edited by Picturepro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got it, but going third party still means max tow at 2K, right?

Suppose that means its less about towing and more for accessories like bike racks and what not. Or am I missing something? Most trailers I have seen are 1500 lbs dry which means any mulch or mowers will push the limit easily.

The sport could be the wrong 'tool for the job' I suppose. If I need more towing capacity then look at the non sport models.

Got it, but going third party still means max tow at 2K, right?

Suppose that means its less about towing and more for accessories like bike racks and what not. Or am I missing something? Most trailers I have seen are 1500 lbs dry which means any mulch or mowers will push the limit easily.

The sport could be the wrong 'tool for the job' I suppose. If I need more towing capacity then look at the non sport models.

Yea I think the rating is based on hitch class but also the transmission. I'm sure someone could expand on the topic. Also, the factory tow package may come with some other drivetrain parts that help in towing.