2015 Edge Sport Towing

• 2 months later...

I have a somewhat GENERAL question about the OEM hitches. On this thread i have seen the Uhaul hitch pictures and it shows the electrcial connections dangling.

Does the OEM hitch have a proper plug or mounted plug where the electrical connections dont dangle?

If i am gonna spend 350.00 at Uhaul and have dangling wires then i dont mind tossing 200 more at it and having it look nice, neat and tidy.

I have a somewhat GENERAL question about the OEM hitches. On this thread i have seen the Uhaul hitch pictures and it shows the electrcial connections dangling.

Does the OEM hitch have a proper plug or mounted plug where the electrical connections dont dangle?

If i am gonna spend 350.00 at Uhaul and have dangling wires then i dont mind tossing 200 more at it and having it look nice, neat and tidy.

Speaking only for my 09 MKZ, the wiring terminates in a standard few female connector.

Ā 

I can't imagine any installation which would leave wires dangling. This is a dangerous area (for damage to wiring), and damaged wires can cause a car fire.

Ā 

All installations must terminate in a female connector and the wires protected from damage. Anything else is amateur hour.

Speaking only for my 09 MKZ, my OEM hitch wiring terminates in a standard female connector.

Ā 

I can't imagine any installation which would leave wires dangling. This is a dangerous area (for damage to wiring), and damaged wires can cause a car fire.

Ā 

All installations must terminate in a female connector and the wires protected from damage. Anything else is amateur hour.

Edited by enigma-2

I believe you could get a mounting bracket.

Does anyone have experience with the Reese hitches for the Sport? A local place quoted me $256 installed for a class 3. Trying to search the forum is a bit challenging. I miss the 2015 section. I am curious if they are round tube or square. It doesn't matter that much, but I think a square tubing would look a little better.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the Reese hitches for the Sport? A local place quoted me $256 installed for a class 3. Trying to search the forum is a bit challenging. I miss the 2015 section. I am curious if they are round tube or square. It doesn't matter that much, but I think a square tubing would look a little better.

The Reese hitch, Hidden hitch and Draw-tite hich are all made by the same manufacturer. The crossbar is not exposed like the Curt hitch. My question is will the lift gate sensor still work or will it be obstructed? I read that the Curt is somewhat problematic with this. Does anyone have a Reese/Hidden/Drawtite installed on their 2015+ Sport that can answer my question?

The Reese hitch9(#44784), Hidden hitch(#87696) and Draw-tite hitch(#75234) are all made by Cequent. Why the Draw-tite brand is more expensive than the other two is odd. The crossbar is square and not exposed like the round crossbar Curt hitch. My question is will the lift gate sensor still work or will it be obstructed? I read that the Curt is somewhat problematic with this. Does anyone have a Reese/Hidden/Draw-tite installed on their 2015+ Sport that can answer my question?

As I stated in my earlier posts, I had installed the Curt Class III hitch. It has the round-tube construction, and, while it does show a bit below the Sport's rear valence, I don't think it looks bad at all, considering how big and beefy the unit seemed to be. I now also have my wiring terminated in a standard 4-prong female connector unit, mounted in a special bracket to the left of the receiver. (Although my earlier post showed the connector hanging down, it's because that first photo was taken just after I had finished the hitch installation itself. The next day, I installed the connector bracket, so that it was all clean and properly-done). No "dangling wires" here for me, either!

Ā 

Methinks I would rather have some of the hitch showing below the valence, than having to do any cutting on it!

Ā 

Pi

Ā 

As I stated in my earlier posts, I had installed the Curt Class III hitch. It has the round-tube construction, and, while it does show a bit below the Sport's rear valence, I don't think it looks bad at all, considering how big and beefy the unit seemed to be. I now also have my wiring terminated in a standard 4-prong female connector unit, mounted in a special bracket to the left of the receiver. (Although my earlier post showed the connector hanging down, it's because that first photo was taken just after I had finished the hitch installation itself. The next day, I installed the connector bracket, so that it was all clean and properly-done). No "dangling wires" here for me, either!

Ā 

Methinks I would rather have some of the hitch showing below the valence, than having to do any cutting on it!

Ā 

Do you have a pic of the bracket and details, where did you aquire, P/N, cost, etc?

To answer "Pi"'s questions, the wiring connector that came with my Curt wiring kit included a standard 4-wire "flat" connector. The connector simply snaps-in to the U-Haul "4-Flat Bracket" (their part number 13302, at $3.95 each) that I found at my local U-Haul accessories store. I first mounted the bracket to the underside of my rear valence, by drilling two 3/16" holes and using a couple of 3/16" rivets to permanently mount the bracket into place.

Ā 

See the photos below, to (a) see the mounting bracket installation, and the overall hitch and connector installation.

Ā 

Ā 

post-37844-0-62006400-1458067038_thumb.jpg

post-37844-0-89412000-1458067046_thumb.jpg

post-37844-0-02099400-1458067054_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

To answer "Pi"'s questions, the wiring connector that came with my Curt wiring kit included a standard 4-wire "flat" connector. The connector simply snaps-in to the U-Haul "4-Flat Bracket" (their part number 13302, at $3.95 each) that I found at my local U-Haul accessories store. I first mounted the bracket to the underside of my rear valence, by drilling two 3/16" holes and using a couple of 3/16" rivets to permanently mount the bracket into place.

Ā 

See the photos below, to (a) see the mounting bracket installation, and the overall hitch and connector installation.

Ā 

Ā 

Now that is visually pleasing. Thank you for posting the info and pics.

Edited by stever40

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...