2015 Edge Sport Towing

The OEM hitch will not fit the Sport. I have the hidden hitch, and the height isn't an issue. I use a 2.5" rise ball mount. Keep in mind that towing capacity on the Sport is only 2,000 lbs (though some people push this limit somewhat). That being said, any 2,000 gross weight trailer isn't going to be very big. I tow a small utility trailer with 12" wheels, and tow a maximum weight of 1,500 lbs. The Sport works great for this, and the receiver height isn't an issue.

Sounds good. Thanks Austin. Do you know why it won't fit? Is the exhaust in the way? Yah I know the towing capacity is less. I only plan to ever use the hitch for bikes and for yard debris, which isn't very heavy. If I have to haul rock I may consider something else. I normally tow with our old Expedition, but I think I will be selling it. Between the size of this and a roof top carrier, it can carry plenty.

I wish we knew why it is that weight. I suspect it is just because the Sport is about 400lbs heavier then the Titanium and it's just a gross vehicle weight thing. I know the engine is up to it, suspension too, only thing that might be questionable is the rear diff and possibly the chassis. Does this engine use the same transmission that this engine is pair with in the F150? If so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I priced the OEM setup - hitch, bumper cover, etc. and it was pretty expensive for the MKX. I presume sport is similar requiring a new bumper cover or trim piece. You could save some money and just cut the existing one but the oem hitch itself was around $400 compared to $175 for the hidden hitch I installed.

The hitch height is not an issue with the hidden hitch or other aftermarket hitches, especially for a bike rack.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Thanks Austin. Do you know why it won't fit? Is the exhaust in the way? Yah I know the towing capacity is less. I only plan to ever use the hitch for bikes and for yard debris, which isn't very heavy. If I have to haul rock I may consider something else. I normally tow with our old Expedition, but I think I will be selling it. Between the size of this and a roof top carrier, it can carry plenty.

I wish we knew why it is that weight. I suspect it is just because the Sport is about 400lbs heavier then the Titanium and it's just a gross vehicle weight thing. I know the engine is up to it, suspension too, only thing that might be questionable is the rear diff and possibly the chassis. Does this engine use the same transmission that this engine is pair with in the F150? If so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

The main reason the Sport can't tow as much is due to the factory tow package adds a larger radiator, upgraded cooling fans, sway control, etc... Also, I have the 21" rims, so that probably would be a problem as well. I do believe the Draw-Tite hitch is the best hitch for the money. It looks like it was factory installed. The only thing I don't like about it is the center brace had to come off, so the lower bumper cover no longer has a solid mount. So far though, it hasn't been a issue.

Edited by Austin

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect a 2+ year old thread, but I thought I'd add my 3 cents.

I have a 2015 Ford Edge Sport with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine and 20" wheels.   No factory tow package, so I needed add an after-market.   Went to my local Ford dealer and they were very helpful in ordering and installing the correct wiring harness package.   Then went to U-Haul and ordered the Class 3 hitch assembly (the larger one I always confuse 2 with 3) which they installed in about 2 hours.  No issues, you can definitely see it but IMHO it's not visually distracting.   A few items that I learned along the way:

1. In hooking up the harness, the tail lights on the trailer would not work.  I had to fiddle with the various settings on the wand to find the one that activated the tail lights,  but even then I was paranoid while driving at night.
  2. The hitch is definitely low to the ground.   You can rectify this by taking the male receiver and turning it "up" to gain extra height.   This levels the load and provider plenty of ground clearance particularly for the dangling safety chains. 
  3. I pulled a 5'x8' U-haul trailer that was FULL with heavy boxes and tools.   I don't even want to guess what the weight was, but it had to be every ounce of 2.000 lbs and probably more.   I took it 1,500 miles in 2 days (winter) on highway driving at 65 mph.   No issues with stability, no issues with acceleration (although you obviously know that that you're towing a heavy load), and once you got rolling you sort of forgot it was there.  

Obviously you should follow manufacturer guidelines on towing guidelines,  but in a pinch or if there's not alot of start/stop stress on the transmission, the SUV tows like a champ. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna bump this 1 year old thread like my predecessor did with my experience.  I did a ton of research, and eventually found someone who towed their 4,500lb RV up and down some mountain roads, with logs of trans temps and etc(they installed an aftermarket trans temp gauge and transcooler), so that gave me some hope.  

Towed a 98 Eclipse GSX, weighing roughly 3300lbs(plus an extra block, and some extra parts.  Probably 3500lbs rounded up) on a uhaul tow dolly(driveshaft on the eclipse disconnected, don't worry).  Trans temps never got above 200, car felt effortless in its towing ability.  You could tell it was there when accelerating from a dead stop, but honestly it wasn't like it was straining.  Highway speeds?  Totally forgot it was even there.  Visibility was great with the factory mirrors, braking was more than adequate, no issues at all.  

Not suggesting anyone go and use their edge sport as their dedicated car hauler, but take my experience however you like.  Everything held up, amazing was close to an 800 mile journey round trip.  I did let the trans cool down in neutral at about 2000rpms when I stopped for fuel or snacks, but honestly..no issues.  

Legal disclaimer: I highly discourage anyone from doing this, and if you so choose to mimic my actions, I take NO responsibility for the possible damage your vehicle may suffer.  DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! 

Edited by CrackedDSM