Yes...were the upper and lower "A" pillars/posts come together, the two pieces are assembled on the body build line, expandable seam sealer which is heat activated is placed between the two pieces of metal...The vehicle at this point is known as body in white...then it goes from body build to the "E" coat tank which is a huge tank of basically anti rust then into a bake oven where the e coat dries, (gets baked on) and the sealer expands. You might not see the sealer but it is there. Hence why you have no leaks. Some didn't get enough of the sealer in the correct areas...

• Like 3

Edgey Guy, thanks for the explanation. I suspected as much but have no first hand knowledge of the process. I have an Edge on order that was built last Thursday 25.06.2015. I have been following this topic for quite some time hoping that someone would come forth with an explanation of how this problem could seemingly be "hit and miss" across similar build dates.

... Some didn't get enough of the sealer in the correct areas...

Good info, thanks. I'm still puzzled as to why, within the range of dates where vehicles were affected, some vehicles are fine, others not.

You would think that some calibration issue with the amount of sealer would be constant over a period, no?

Figure new vehicle 1,400 new workers and no training. Things happen.

As I'm reading this I'm thinking "never buy the first model year, proven once again."

I've got a 2011 limited and was kicking around at upgrading to a 2016 Edge Tritanium as I now have direct access to "Program X" (I think its called) from work. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger they'll have figured out all the BS.

• Like 1

This does not include leaking sun roof assemblies.....

Swell .. .the ONE thing that kept me from getting a sun roof for so long. I finally trusted someone to get it right (BAMR) and on my 2011 so far its been fine. Now to find out there is a possible problem with a 2015 on something that they've already had down pat. ... :(

and one last post on the subject from an engineering standpoint now that I've read the entire threadnaught.

Edgey Guy .. your post was (as should be given your exposure to the facts :) ) spot on. While I may not be Ford assembly tech ... I do know how they're put together and as I was reading everyone's plight and confusion on why some but not all .. your info was my exact thought. The sealant is between the seam and not visible. In some cases it'll be enough, some enough for a few soaks. And others are leak city.

I know that after the fact (assembly) 3M makes a "weld thru sealant" meant to be used in the event of a panel getting replaced and spot welded. Most of the automotive industry (foreign and domestic) have been using sealants/adhesives for years and its a seasoned technology at this point. But as has been mentioned (again by you Edgey IIRC) New model, startup production runs, human's that don't know yet what to be specially mindful of. All this being said, doesn't help those who are suffering the "gamma test stage"

Edgey, do you know from your "exposure" if those panels gets seal/glued, then spot welded in the seal/glue regions, then dipped and baked ? I could see that process making it fairly difficult to proactively predict failure until it became a widely experienced issue. Like we have.

The two pieces of the pillar are put together on the welding line then robot welded. The vehicle at that point is called body in "white"...the assembled "body" then goes into the dip tank of cathodic e coat. That gives it that greeny look...then it goes to sealer deck where it is sealed, then lightly sanded the primed then painted....

• Like 1

Just got my Sport back after it spent 2+ days at the dealer having the A-pillar 'goo' applied.

Never saw any leak issues with mine, despite torrential rain here in Colorado, but it's nice to know it's been sealed up for good measure. In case anyone missed it, build date for mine is 4/14/2014 at Oakville (vin# 27355)

On second thought, I may still ask for my vehicle back until they receive the sealant. My vehicle is a company car through our fleet program, so the lemon route may not do anything for me. At this point I'd rather take my chances with the Edge getting wet rather than put up with the POS Rogue they have me driving.

Thanks,

Ben

I noticed a putrid smell in my 2015 Edge a few weeks ago and wondered what the source was. I thought I had uneaten food somewhere in the car, but didn't find any.

A few days later I noticed the front and back drivers side floor were wet.

Then just few days ago I started hearing a large amount of water sloshing around in the car when I brake -- can't really figure out where it is, sounds like under the floor but also in front and back. What sort of area or cavity would a car have where so much water can pool? Strange.

Over the past few days I also noticed more water on the front drivers side floor, and can't figure out why its started to increase, especially over the past few days when there's been no rain. It's now a pool in the under the pedals.

At night the windows get totally covered with condensation. I have been driving the car a fair amount and running the AC. Could the AC be expelling water into the car?

My Edge was built in mid-March, so this problem seems to include Edge's built before the April 28-Jun 25 time period noted in a Ford bulletin posted on this site.

The bulletin also said there's a Jun 30 expiration date for the reacall. What happens to Edge owners who get a leak after Jun 30?

I love the car and hope it can be fixed.

Neptune, the service bulletin Ford released recently stated that Edge owners had until June 30,2016 to have this issued fixed, if I recall from the letter I received recently. Our Edge SEL was built on April 7th, no signs of water leak yet, however here in Calif. there has bee no rain for quite a while,

If you have that much water in the vehicle, it probably is from the water leak and not the AC expelling water into the car. Have it checked out by your dealer asap, and hopefully they will be able to take care of the problem. Once it gets fixed, it will be worth it, as they otherwise are great cars.

I received a call from the dealership last Thursday that they finally received the sealant. They were to be applying it on Friday, so I should hear from them today on the status. Should I be demanding that they replace the entire interior carpeting? If they refuse, should I pull it up myself and inspect it? Is this something I should have them do with me present, upon picking it up?

Thanks,

Ben

I received a call from the dealership last Thursday that they finally received the sealant. They were to be applying it on Friday, so I should hear from them today on the status. Should I be demanding that they replace the entire interior carpeting? If they refuse, should I pull it up myself and inspect it? Is this something I should have them do with me present, upon picking it up?

Thanks,

Ben

I don't remember exactly what the instructions that the dealers received form Ford. But I recall there was a requirement to replace carpet if there was a mildew smell (or possibly any type of signs of moisture in the carpet). If your car has any mildew/musty smell, I would tell them to replace the carpet.

1. Bought mine June 20, noticed soaked floor on the 23rd, dropped it off at dealership in Waxahachie Tx June 24th, Service dept called the next day to inform me they cannont fix it because the dealership I bought it from in Mesquite TX had already fixed it.. Obviously not. So I contacted that dealership which is 40 miles away. At that time the Ford Customer Service Manager contacted me and told me to leave the car in Waxahachie that she would work on getting approval for them to do the repair. That Friday, June 26th, she contacted me to tell me she was going to be on vacation the following week but her team would call me on Tuesday the 30th with an answer. Today is July 7th and still have had no contact. Been in a rental since June 24th... Both dealerships have called me but not the Ford manager that is handling this case. My build date is April 18th...

I just received a call from the dealership. There is more water in areas other than the driver side carpeting. Something about water soaked insulators behind the dash. They need to order new carpeting and new insulators, as well as various other parts for behind the dash. Bottom line, I don't think I'll have my car back until late July, if not August. Son of a....

Thanks,

Ben

I just received a call from the dealership. There is more water in areas other than the driver side carpeting. Something about water soaked insulators behind the dash. They need to order new carpeting and new insulators, as well as various other parts for behind the dash. Bottom line, I don't think I'll have my car back until late July, if not August. Son of a....

Thanks,

Ben

You said your vehicle was bought via fleet sales or something correct?

I'm not sure how that works, but I'd be researching Lemon Law in your case. Just because it is a fleet vehicle doesn't disqualify it from being covered.

There have already been two reports on this board, that I know of, where Ford is buying their car back due to this issue.

There is no reason why you should have to deal with a Lemon.

• Like 1

I noticed a putrid smell in my 2015 Edge a few weeks ago and wondered what the source was. I thought I had uneaten food somewhere in the car, but didn't find any.

A few days later I noticed the front and back drivers side floor were wet.

Then just few days ago I started hearing a large amount of water sloshing around in the car when I brake -- can't really figure out where it is, sounds like under the floor but also in front and back. What sort of area or cavity would a car have where so much water can pool? Strange.

Over the past few days I also noticed more water on the front drivers side floor, and can't figure out why its started to increase, especially over the past few days when there's been no rain. It's now a pool in the under the pedals.

At night the windows get totally covered with condensation. I have been driving the car a fair amount and running the AC. Could the AC be expelling water into the car?

My Edge was built in mid-March, so this problem seems to include Edge's built before the April 28-Jun 25 time period noted in a Ford bulletin posted on this site.

The bulletin also said there's a Jun 30 expiration date for the reacall. What happens to Edge owners who get a leak after Jun 30?

I love the car and hope it can be fixed.

Neptune, nice post. Thanks.

You are spot on here with the connection to the AC unit expelling water into the drivers side part of the car. I had the same thing happen, no rain, A/C on, and A/C was definitely the source of condensation then water into the floor (and a ton of it, not just a little bit). I wonder if there's a more direct connection here to the water problem. I get too that rain water from a storm might enter the engine compartment too and into the cabin might be another source. If I was ford, I'd trace this single simple path first (A/C unit condensation to wet floor). It's either that firewall or A pillar or the A/C vents (like the one under the seat). The quantity of water from an AC unit isn't that great (but does vary) so there has to be a nice efficient way that water is traveling to the floor (before it evaporates after being blown all over the place).

Obviously with people having repeated water problems, FORD still doesn't have a good handle on the source and/or it's communications to the dealers. Hopefully this note helps.

Thanks,

Ben

I doubt the fleet part means anything here, from a fix or replace perspective.

First step, exchange the Rogue for something else TODAY.

Second step: Start telling them you don't want this soggy POS Edge back and see if they can't set you up with a build date truck that's after this entire mess started. What's the worst they could say, no, but it may raise your priority in the backlog. If they say yes, you're in a newer/water proof edge faster, without all the hassles of it being in the shop. Ford should be half happy you want to stick with an Edge. Lots probably want to return for a refund, not an exchange!

If this is a fleet, the other thought is to let your company deal with the entire lemon law thing. I guess this depends on the size of your company and how many vehicles they purchase. They may have a lot of leverage, etc.

Good luck.