Oil Change?

Swelche

Motorcraft doesn't market their oil

How do you think the retailers get hold of it then, and does that really matter seeing as its freely available across the country?

Did you see this?

Not sure what's your point.

Doesn't mention that they add it to Motocraft.

According to ConocoPhillips, Guardol ECT and Kendall Super-D XA reformulated with the new additive improves engine-wear and bearing-corrosion protection and increases oxidation stability, with no tradeoffs in other performance advantages.

The company explained that the liquid titanium additive chemically binds with engine parts to reduce wear and extend engine life. Not available as an aftermarket additive, the liquid titanium is completely soluble in the lubricant and contains no solids or material in suspension.

ConocoPhillips has put the oil through extensive field trials with several fleets to gain “proof of performance,” Reggie Dias, director of commercial product, told FleetOwner. “We wanted to corroborate the enhanced wear protection and extended drain capabilities [of the oil in fleet service.”

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit 12k so I'm finally switching to Mobil 1 full synthetic this weekend. Doing it myself, got a 6 pack of Mobil 1 quarts for $26 on amazon. Throw in another $5 for the filter and I'm looking at $31 for a Mobil 1 oil change, that's tough to beat.

Anyways, my first time changing the oil in my Edge, any tips that anyone has to offer? I know they switched to the top mount cartridge style filter and the drain plug is a twist lock design now. I'll put it up on 6" ramp stands so it should be fairly easy.

• Like 1

Just hit 12k so I'm finally switching to Mobil 1 full synthetic this weekend. Doing it myself, got a 6 pack of Mobil 1 quarts for $26 on amazon. Throw in another $5 for the filter and I'm looking at $31 for a Mobil 1 oil change, that's tough to beat.

Anyways, my first time changing the oil in my Edge, any tips that anyone has to offer? I know they switched to the top mount cartridge style filter and the drain plug is a twist lock design now. I'll put it up on 6" ramp stands so it should be fairly easy.

Just yesterday I stocked up using Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COX0JM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1TO5NU8UU9MH3&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010QU0SPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you don't have a set of picks, get one to pull the o-ring off the old filter. any kind of dental tool will do the trick, other wise you'll be snapping toothpicks and jamming the tip of a pen in there trying to pull that thing off. it's a 3 second job with a pick. also, don't overfill the thing, and give it a good 15 minutes before you check the dipstick after filling. i've been doing my own mechanic work for quite some time... and the last time i let some dope at work change my oil, he put 6.5 quarts in it because it wasn't reading anything on the dipstick.

i could have choked a man that day.

if you don't have a set of picks, get one to pull the o-ring off the old filter. any kind of dental tool will do the trick, other wise you'll be snapping toothpicks and jamming the tip of a pen in there trying to pull that thing off. it's a 3 second job with a pick.

I've definitely got a dental pick tool, glad you mentioned that, I'll have it ready for changing the o-ring now, cheers!

I've definitely got a dental pick tool, glad you mentioned that, I'll have it ready for changing the o-ring now, cheers!

Assuming you're thinking of the metal pick tools, I don't use anything like that in fear of scoring the O-ring seating surface - I degrease it and grip it with a sheet of the blue garage paper towel for traction and squeeze it towards one side until it puckers a little, and then its easy to lever it out with a plastic tooth pick or anything like that.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

So I've heard a few times now that it's a good idea to also change the plastic drain plug from time to time, or at least the o-ring, anyone else doing this on the reg?

https://www.amazon.com/FORD-DRAIN-PLUG-BC3Z-6730-FT4Z-6730/dp/B008Y86L0S/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1515887116&sr=1-2&keywords=ford+oil+drain+plug

I have one on hand - if during an oil change I find it needs replacement I've got it handy, although you should be able to get an O-ring to match from the local AutoZone.

• 1 month later...

And Costco as well thru tomorrow

https://www.costco.com/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5W-30.product.100169695.html

I have enough stock now for 30,000 miles, just over a year for me at the current rate, built up from Costco and Amazon sales, so will only be looking at these specials in about 8 to 10 months from now.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought two 5 qt jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5-30 for $24.97 each on Amazon. And Pennzoil has a $10 rebate on right now, $2 per QT so each jug only cost $14.97 thats $3 a Qt. You can get up to $20 bucks off now through July. This oil has a Natural Gas base and out performed the gold standard Mobil One in tests . This is a report from a lab compares Mobil One at 3k miles and Pennzoil Ultra at 5K . . The Pennzoil had less metals in it and gave better results than the Mobil One even though it had 2,000 more miles on it. $14.97 for 5 qt + $6.07 for one qt + $7.67 filter = $28.71 for a pure synthetic oil change.

post-46130-0-25330800-1524528555_thumb.jpeg post-46130-0-48691000-1524528586_thumb.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Pennzoil Ultra is a relic now. It was a true synthetic oil with the price point to reflect it. But still, the Penn Plat and Ultra Plat are good oils. Being made from natural gas, impurities are lower, which helps prevent deposits/varnish.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/penzultra.htm

And an older Blackstone report from 2015 (Note report says Penn Ultra, but is actually PUP if you read the post I took this from https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3692060/VOA_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5w)

16865771607_25e9a675b1_o.png

Do not have a VOA for PP or PUP handy currently for 5W30 but here is a 0W20 test

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil_Platinum_0W20_dexos.html

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...