Water Leak! Help!

built2prfctn

Is there not a sticker on the door sill that reflects the build date along with recommended tire pressures and weight info? That should reflect the actual build date I would have thought. It might prove useful for everyone to post their build dates as that might prove to be helpful going forward. Can someone snap a picture of the water pooling as a result of this bad seal?

Yes there is generally a label in the door sill. However if you are doing a vehicle search on line (prior to purchasing)...One can download the pdf without visiting the dealer. This way a fairly accurate date of manufacture can be determined. I agree it would be very useful if those of you who have been faced with this most unfortunate concern to post the date of manufacture. It does appear that Ford has stepped up to the plate here. I'm sure Ford will come out of this shinning...I wonder if the 2016's will have that really cool new grill design.

Thanks for the detail on the sealer Soggy_Edge!

Does anyone have inside info regarding the detail of the root cause of this quality defect?

I have a brand new Edge Titanium built on April 16th, I began to experience water in driver side flooring within a week of delivery. Took mat out and it dried out. Heavy rains last Sunday evening left approximately an inch of standing water and took it immediately to Ford Dealership. I was informed that a recall was issued and that it would be fixed and returned same day. That has now led to a week and counting, a Ford paid rental for up to 30 days and several failed attempts to fix following FORD's protocol. I went to the shop to get personal belongings out and saw the entire interior of the car stripped out, right down to the studs. Sheet metal and wiring. All the molding, seats, carpeting, etc. were out on the floor and standing water visible on the floor boards. Last word was that they have to pull out the front panel and console to fix seal by fire wall?? Oh by the way, after kicking and screaming, FORD is paying for a 30 day rental. Not of an equal car and yet I still have to make my lease payment. Reading this forum and seeing that Carpet and Mats are back ordered doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'll see my new car anytime soon. Not sure that I want it back at this point. Will the smell of a rotting corpse ever get out of the car? What future damage did all that water do to the electrical system? What happens when I put heat on in winter? What smell will come out of vent. Extremely frustrated with FORD and I've been loyal to ford for nearly 18 years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a brand new Edge Titanium built on April 16th, I began to experience water in driver side flooring within a week of delivery. Took mat out and it dried out. Heavy rains last Sunday evening left approximately an inch of standing water and took it immediately to Ford Dealership. I was informed that a recall was issued and that it would be fixed and returned same day. That has now led to a week and counting, a Ford paid rental for up to 30 days and several failed attempts to fix following FORD's protocol. I went to the shop to get personal belongings out and saw the entire interior of the car stripped out, right down to the studs. Sheet metal and wiring. All the molding, seats, carpeting, etc. were out on the floor and standing water visible on the floor boards. Last word was that they have to pull out the front panel and console to fix seal by fire wall?? Oh by the way, after kicking and screaming, FORD is paying for a 30 day rental. Not of an equal car and yet I still have to make my lease payment. Reading this forum and seeing that Carpet and Mats are back ordered doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'll see my new car anytime soon. Not sure that I want it back at this point. Will the smell of a rotting corpse ever get out of the car? What future damage did all that water do to the electrical system? What happens when I put heat on in winter? What smell will come out of vent. Extremely frustrated with FORD and I've been loyal to ford for nearly 18 years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Edgeman24,

I took delivery of mine late April, and like yourself, it is a Titanium, soaked. It is currently sitting at the dealer's, in pieces like yours. The dealer has been following the 'protocol' from Ford. I am dying to get an idea of what this 'protocol' outlines. The first visit to the dealer for this problem the tech shot some goo in the A-pillar void. Fail. I brought the buggy back early last week, and was given a loaner. The dealer called me on the second day, requesting the loaner be returned. I am now driving a rental which by my understanding, has been reserved by Ford of Canada for thirty days, Like yourself, I have taken delivery of many Fords since 1994. Not sure if I want this one back.

I would like anyone who has more details about the defect, possible long term effects and with luck some support from Ford.

Sorry for the whining ....

And what is with this issue regarding backordered carpet?

Are they still building them at the plant? If so, there is no backorder. Take the ones from factory inventory and send them to the people who have already paid money for their Edges. FORD screwed up, no the customer. Not the dealer. So put those customers first to fix the issue your stupid engineers couldn't quit figure out. If that means the assembly line stops after a while....so be it. That is how you learn about Cost of Poor Quality (CPQ). Just brushing off the customer while continuing to build and make more and more money so your bottom line looks good to shareholders is foolish.

And whoever that engineer is that made this boo boo....should be fired.

Hopefully they can't resolve the issue and keeps you out of it for 30 days.......then lemon law the thing.

Hey WingNut,

Here in Canada, there is no such law. Any Canadian that thinks there is watches too much television ... Funny, not a peep in the media or internet with regards to this issue. Hmmmmm

Does anyone have concrete evidence that they solved this issue after April 28th?

I hope so, but not 100% sure. I had an issue with getting my edge in. It was late for delivery and no one knew where it was. On Saturday, I went into the dealer to just get some sort of answer or expected date. No one had anything. At that point, I was seriously considering canceling when a truck had just came and delivered my ordered edge sport. I came back to the dealer later that day after they prepped it to pick it up. It was raining buckets that entire day. My edge was built 5/13.

When I inspected the vehicle at pick up, I quickly checked the floor of the driver and passenger sides. The passenger side was dry, but my heart sank when I felt a soaked carpet under the driver side all weather floor mat. It was soaked (without standing water) in front of the seat towards the entire length of the driver's side door and about 6" wide. Once I found this, I immediately brought it to the attention of the dealer and informed them about what I knew of the issue and service order. We pulled it into a bay and inspected it. I referenced the picture that someone had posted on these forum pages (I believe it was WingNut?) that showed the seam on the A pillar when the hood is open. On my Edge, that seam did have a heap of sealant. The dealer did inform me that they felt the wet floor was caused by the door not being shut all the way while outside in the rain and due to them going in and out of the vehicle while prepping it in the rain storm. Since it was only on that side and only near the door, I thought it was a reasonable explanation and decided to move forward with possession of the vehicle. I hope that was not a stupid move.

Once I got the edge home, I dried out the interior. The next morning, I had a bad feeling about it and wanted to test it out. I drove it through a touchless car wash to see if any wetness could be found. I did not find any, which gave me some relief. I am still not 100% sure, and will be keeping an eye on it. Does anyone know where on the floor boards the issue is showing (is it the entire area or is it concentrated on a certain portion)? Is taking the vehicle through a touchless car wash enough of a test? If a leak is found, is it usually just on one side or both driver and passenger side? Am I being overly paranoid? Anyone else with a build date in May having suspicions?

for my edge sport it is just the entire driver side floor pan that gets wet.........all of the passenger floor pans stay completely dry. I dried mine out as the dealer is waiting for parts.....and then took it through a touchless car wash.....and it did get damp.....not soaked but it went from being bone dry to damp.....and with my wet vac I pulled about 3 table spoons full of water out of it.

Id really like to know what the dealer/ford protocol for this is....is it a complete new insulation and carpet?

Edited by cds71

I hope so, but not 100% sure. I had an issue with getting my edge in. It was late for delivery and no one knew where it was. On Saturday, I went into the dealer to just get some sort of answer or expected date. No one had anything. At that point, I was seriously considering canceling when a truck had just came and delivered my ordered edge sport. I came back to the dealer later that day after they prepped it to pick it up. It was raining buckets that entire day. My edge was built 5/13.

When I inspected the vehicle at pick up, I quickly checked the floor of the driver and passenger sides. The passenger side was dry, but my heart sank when I felt a soaked carpet under the driver side all weather floor mat. It was soaked (without standing water) in front of the seat towards the entire length of the driver's side door and about 6" wide. Once I found this, I immediately brought it to the attention of the dealer and informed them about what I knew of the issue and service order. We pulled it into a bay and inspected it. I referenced the picture that someone had posted on these forum pages (I believe it was WingNut?) that showed the seam on the A pillar when the hood is open. On my Edge, that seam did have a heap of sealant. The dealer did inform me that they felt the wet floor was caused by the door not being shut all the way while outside in the rain and due to them going in and out of the vehicle while prepping it in the rain storm. Since it was only on that side and only near the door, I thought it was a reasonable explanation and decided to move forward with possession of the vehicle. I hope that was not a stupid move.

Once I got the edge home, I dried out the interior. The next morning, I had a bad feeling about it and wanted to test it out. I drove it through a touchless car wash to see if any wetness could be found. I did not find any, which gave me some relief. I am still not 100% sure, and will be keeping an eye on it. Does anyone know where on the floor boards the issue is showing (is it the entire area or is it concentrated on a certain portion)? Is taking the vehicle through a touchless car wash enough of a test? If a leak is found, is it usually just on one side or both driver and passenger side? Am I being overly paranoid? Anyone else with a build date in May having suspicions?

From the sounds of it, it is not concentrated to one area. There are people saying they are finding "pools" of water on the driver and/or passenger side. And some have reported a touchless wash should be sufficient to show the symptoms. I'd run it through 2-3 times to double check.

Can you take a pic of your seal as I did with my car. I'd like to see what is coming out of the factory now.

My VIN (build date April 22nd 2015) was flagged with 15B21, but the vehicle has been dry since delivery. Went in today for FSA correction. The service guy seemed to know where the leak is theoretically according to the repair notes and applied sealer. I'm still puzzled why my ride has been dry, even standing in the rain and after a few car washes.

From the sounds of it, it is not concentrated to one area. There are people saying they are finding "pools" of water on the driver and/or passenger side. And some have reported a touchless wash should be sufficient to show the symptoms. I'd run it through 2-3 times to double check.

Can you take a pic of your seal as I did with my car. I'd like to see what is coming out of the factory now.

I sure will take a pic of that area when I get home later this week. Sorry for the the delay, I travel for work.

My VIN (build date April 22nd 2015) was flagged with 15B21, but the vehicle has been dry since delivery. Went in today for FSA correction. The service guy seemed to know where the leak is theoretically according to the repair notes and applied sealer. I'm still puzzled why my ride has been dry, even standing in the rain and after a few car washes.

Same with me. Built April 10 and dry even after many hard rains.

I received my letter in the mail yesterday from Ford: Customer Satisfaction Program 15B21. I will drop a copy off at my dealer's service department. I have driven in the rain and been thru a touch-less car wash and NO water leak issues. The letter says the program is in effect until June 30, 2016. My build date was April 27, 2015 with VIN 34000 approx. (Titanium/AWD, in case that matters.)

[i couldn't figure out the picture on this forum compared to my car.]

The service manager at my dealer said he would order the sealant and let me know when it's in to use on both A-pillars. I have no leaks/water yet; that was a question on his Ford questionnaire. If there was, I suppose carpet or some other remedy would be ordered also, and maybe even a loaner/rental car according to the letter.

(BTW I got my Ford Edge cargo mat for the rear area. $99+tax. It's nice, but maybe a little thinner than expected, but I didn't now what to expect and it'll suite me just fine. Then I saw my sister's WeatherTech liner and didn't seem any heavier/thicker. And they both have a small lip around the edges.) --but I'm still trying to use bins/containers in the cargo area so I don't muddy-up the new liner!

When I went in for 15B21, the service guy mentioned that, if the carpets were wet, they were instructed to dry them !!!! However, I did not see his instructions on paper.

He also mentioned his experience with the F-150: apparently they had leaks as well (no time frame).

The service manager at my dealer said he would order the sealant and let me know when it's in to use on both A-pillars. I have no leaks/water yet; that was a question on his Ford questionnaire. If there was, I suppose carpet or some other remedy would be ordered also, and maybe even a loaner/rental car according to the letter.

(BTW I got my Ford Edge cargo mat for the rear area. $99+tax. It's nice, but maybe a little thinner than expected, but I didn't now what to expect and it'll suite me just fine. Then I saw my sister's WeatherTech liner and didn't seem any heavier/thicker. And they both have a small lip around the edges.) --but I'm still trying to use bins/containers in the cargo area so I don't muddy-up the new liner!

I keep a tarp with me in case I need to haul dirty stuff.

My biggest problem right now is the dang groceries rolling all over. I have the cargo net, but that thing is a joke. Right now I string a bungee cord through the handles of the grocery bags and then to the side of the cargo area.

After 8 days in the shop, the leak still hasn't been fixed. Car is still stripped on the inside, they pulled out the dash, resealed and now are putting it back on before they throw water on it to make sure the fix worked. That's the good news. The bad news is that carpet for the Edge is completely back ordered and I should expect my car to be in the shop for 2 to 3 months!!!!??? Supposedly a system-wide stoppage (D99) for Edge carpeting and the Shop has their hands tied on how far/hard they can push corporate to get material. I'm completely at a loss with how Ford is dealing with this. In the meantime, I continue to drive a rental at their expense,,,,,

After 8 days in the shop, the leak still hasn't been fixed. Car is still stripped on the inside, they pulled out the dash, resealed and now are putting it back on before they throw water on it to make sure the fix worked. That's the good news. The bad news is that carpet for the Edge is completely back ordered and I should expect my car to be in the shop for 2 to 3 months!!!!??? Supposedly a system-wide stoppage (D99) for Edge carpeting and the Shop has their hands tied on how far/hard they can push corporate to get material. I'm completely at a loss with how Ford is dealing with this. In the meantime, I continue to drive a rental at their expense,,,,,

2 to 3 months?

How is that NOT a lemon?

I'd be talking to my lawyer.

My car is suppose to go into the shop for repair tomorrow. After hearing all this I'm really pushing for ford to buy back the truck. I don't feel like dealing with this crap anymore. And now im hearing carpet is on back order... Not good think I will call Ford again before going to the dealer.

I purchased my Sport here in AZ about 6 weeks ago. Haven't had any issue with water, but it has not rained here and the car has only 800 miles on it.

I sent a pm to Tricia from Ford, on this site. She responded immediately letting me know that yes, my vehicle had a Customer Satisfaction Program number on it 15B21.

I called my dealer over a week ago, the service rep verified it, but has yet to get back to me.

Apparently the dealer has not received parts/supplies to fix the issue.

I did receive an official letter from Ford MC yesterday "Your vehicle may have a water leak....."