Water Leak! Help!

built2prfctn

My build date was 16.03.2015

I got the letter from Ford and already got the "fix." I never checked my carpet and only had it in a light rain once during my commute home and the car wash once. I didn't notice a leak but like I said, I didn't check. I've been traveling for business and have not had the chance to "test" the fix in the car wash yet.

What are the "worst" build dates for this issue?

My build date was 16.03.2015

I got the letter from Ford and already got the "fix." I never checked my carpet and only had it in a light rain once during my commute home and the car wash once. I didn't notice a leak but like I said, I didn't check. I've been traveling for business and have not had the chance to "test" the fix in the car wash yet.

What are the "worst" build dates for this issue?

I don't think anyone has an idea yet on what could be the "worst" dates vs. the OK dates within the range that Ford has identified.

We'd probably have to get all the users with build dates within that time frame to report if they've had any leaking issues and what their build date was. Then we may be able to single out a few days, a week, etc. that seems to be where the problem lies.

I think Ford has probably already tracked this and if it was just a week, would have only recalled those built within that week instead of the current span. They probably had a few thousand in the holding lot from the time they started production to the date they realized they had an issue that they'd have to check for the leak. Then compile the data and see if it was within a few day period things may have gone wrong.

But with the span they gave us, my guess is this was an intermittent issue during production with no pattern that they fixed.

We'd probably have to get all the users with build dates within that time frame to report if they've had any leaking issues and what their build date was. Then we may be able to single out a few days, a week, etc. that seems to be where the problem lies.

My build date is Feb 25. I got the letter from Ford, but I have not had any leaks that I have noticed, even though we have had some very heavy rains.

OK, this issue isn't a minor one and while the local dealer can spray some silicone sealant through a brake hose, that doesn't mean this is a fixed issue.

I would like to know if this is a design defect,a manufacturing defect or a defect in the installation and specifically, it'd like to know what the FACTORY remedy is during production so this doesn't come up again.

I understand from other sites where the problem is but no one has said how it will be designed or addressed during production. If Ford Canada issued a Stop Sell order this is not just a problem of a week or two or three but something flawed from the inception.

I'd love to trade in my Explorer on a 2016 Edge however I'm curious how Ford steps up to the plate and handles this. From Google searches, leaking vehicles isn't unknown to them across several model lines.

OK, this issue isn't a minor one and while the local dealer can spray some silicone sealant through a brake hose, that doesn't mean this is a fixed issue.

I would like to know if this is a design defect,a manufacturing defect or a defect in the installation and specifically, it'd like to know what the FACTORY remedy is during production so this doesn't come up again.

I understand from other sites where the problem is but no one has said how it will be designed or addressed during production. If Ford Canada issued a Stop Sell order this is not just a problem of a week or two or three but something flawed from the inception.

I'd love to trade in my Explorer on a 2016 Edge however I'm curious how Ford steps up to the plate and handles this. From Google searches, leaking vehicles isn't unknown to them across several model lines.

I hope the issue is corrected on the 2016 Edges, and they are scheduled to start production on the 2016s on 10-15-2015, and that should give them enough time to sort out-out the 2015 issues. The 2016s will also have SYNC 3 and adaptive steering.

I hope the issue is corrected on the 2016 Edges, and they are scheduled to start production on the 2016s on 10-15-2015, and that should give them enough time to sort out-out the 2015 issues. The 2016s will also have SYNC 3 and adaptive steering.

It would be typical for them to at least have a patch fix in place as soon as they discovered the issue in production and a permanent fix as part of Job 2 builds which should include the advanced driver assist and sync 3 options

I ordered my Edge on April 3rd and it finally came in yesterday, July 10. The build date was May 11. When I picked it up I asked about the a pillar water leak issue and they confirmed the build date for my vehicle was after the fix was implemented in production. To be sure, they let me run a hose on the vehicle in the wash bay area. I soaked it for about 5 minutes. Floor stayed dry and I completed the purchase. Better to be safe than sorry, especially hearing what some of you went through.

The info in this forum helped a lot so thanks to you all for sharing your stories.

I purchased a 2015 Edge in April. Two days later I realized my driver side floor board was soaking wet. I took it back to the dealer who fixed it and made me believe that it was a small leak from the AC unit. Later I found out that the vehicle was never sealed properly at the factory and that was where the leak came from. Unfortunately, the leak also got into the main computer system and has destroyed the main module. My car has been at the dealer's service department more then it's been at my house! The dash lights keep coming on while I'm driving, and every service notice appears and all kinds of dinging noises go off! I have had this issue "repaired" and each time I pick the car back up, it starts doing it again. I was told to contact Ford and that I could speak to them about my options, they would just need my VIN to open up the active case. When I called Ford, they didn't show an open case and couldn't do anything to help me since there wasn't an open case!!! Now the dealership can't seem to locate a case number either! Has anyone else had the computer problems and if so, can you suggest who to contact next... Thanks for any help!

I purchased a 2015 Edge in April. Two days later I realized my driver side floor board was soaking wet. I took it back to the dealer who fixed it and made me believe that it was a small leak from the AC unit. Later I found out that the vehicle was never sealed properly at the factory and that was where the leak came from. Unfortunately, the leak also got into the main computer system and has destroyed the main module. My car has been at the dealer's service department more then it's been at my house! The dash lights keep coming on while I'm driving, and every service notice appears and all kinds of dinging noises go off! I have had this issue "repaired" and each time I pick the car back up, it starts doing it again. I was told to contact Ford and that I could speak to them about my options, they would just need my VIN to open up the active case. When I called Ford, they didn't show an open case and couldn't do anything to help me since there wasn't an open case!!! Now the dealership can't seem to locate a case number either! Has anyone else had the computer problems and if so, can you suggest who to contact next... Thanks for any help!

1. Keep taking the car back if it is showing symptoms of issues

2. Research the Lemon Law requirements in your state

3. Once your vehicle has met the requirements, file for lemon law.

4. Enjoy the new car you'll get or the check they'll give you.

My scheduled "leak fix" was completed this morning.

Although I never had a water leak issue (or at least one I could find, it hasn't rained

in Phoenix for quite a while) that I could see.

The repair took all of one hour. Very happy with Surprise Ford.

I guess I shouldn't have to wonder now. FYI. The tech showed me the area that

was sealed. You cannot actually see that area unless the plastic piece is removed that

is in front of said area.

Ford stops sales of some 2015 Edges for water leak.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that a robot went whacko, and they are usually so reliable, no one noticed when they skipped an area.

Look at 0:55 on this video to see a typical vehicle being sealed. Easy to miss a couple of beads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ_L-KgdhY

Ay least now they know.

• Like 1

I have yet to see anything that have gone to dealers saying they are issuing stop sales. I can guarantee today I could walk in to a dealer with an Edge on the lot that was built within the date range that was affected, and they'd sell me the car. Also I'd bet that car wouldn't have the fix.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that a robot went whacko, and they are usually so reliable, no one noticed when they skipped an area.

Look at 0:55 on this video to see a typical vehicle being sealed. Easy to miss a couple of beads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ_L-KgdhY

Ay least now they know.

It is probably a combination of failures within production...including QC checks.

My scheduled "leak fix" was completed this morning.

Although I never had a water leak issue (or at least one I could find, it hasn't rained

in Phoenix for quite a while) that I could see.

The repair took all of one hour. Very happy with Surprise Ford.

I guess I shouldn't have to wonder now. FYI. The tech showed me the area that

was sealed. You cannot actually see that area unless the plastic piece is removed that

is in front of said area.

Curious which plastic piece you are talking about. Because I can clearly see where the fix was done on my Edge and many others have posted pics of the same area.

I have yet to see anything that have gone to dealers saying they are issuing stop sales. I can guarantee today I could walk in to a dealer with an Edge on the lot that was built within the date range that was affected, and they'd sell me the car. Also I'd bet that car wouldn't have the fix.

Hey WingNut,

I would concur. If you go on Ford Canada's website, and 'search inventory', there are a whole mess of Edges in all trims with VIN that are in the FBB0XXXX to FBB4XXXX range available. Entering any of the VINS on Ford ETIS site, the vehicles have the FSA required flag set. I am pretty sure that they have not had the goo applied as the dealer will not be paid for the fix until the vehicle has be purchased. Remember keeping the stakeholders happy is Job #1 - bean-counters are firmly in control of any public company these days.

Will be intesting to see what plays out now that the media has hold of this story, however, it seems that the consumer has grown numb to this poor publicity in light of all the recalls in the last few years. Less than 50K vehicles affected will cause nary a ripple ...

Remember 'Quality is Job #1'?

Edited by Soggy_Edge

People can take it for what it's worth, and I believe dealers will sell you vehicle right now. I was not planning on getting 2015, and from what I've read so far I would not take the chance. I will be waiting for the 2016 and hope all the issues are worked out by then.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/stop-sale-finds-ford-edge-under-water/index.htm

Ford talking about stop sales and buy backs around the same time the media starts asking questions.

Coincidence?

They can 'talk' about buybacks all they like ... I want some action ... It is pretty bad when I can remember all the prompts on the customer service line to get to a human by heart. And the obligatory survey at the end ... "Is there anything else we can do for you today?" Response "Yes you can address the issue that I called about and got nowhere"

Edited by Soggy_Edge