Do not put premium fuel in a EcoBoost motor

sideswipe

Octane levels for premium fuel is low in Quebec (91/93), but in the USA you may have issues if you put in 101 octane in the ecoboost I guess. Getting way above or way under what the manufacturer recommends can cause issues.

The check engine of my Mitsubishi would turn on sometimes, because the premium fuel is so diluted with regular fuel that octane goes almost down to 87.

Fuel delivery is botched sometimes, diesel can be mixed with gas because the trucker is too lazy to empty the tank lol What a mess...

What he told me is it retards the timing which in turn fauls out the plugs he has had a few vehicles in for that issue. He is right about it retarding the timing because of higher octane. Our vehicles are set up to run on regular unleaded. When I get to the dealership I will ask the service manager if he has had any of these problems

Edited by sideswipe
  • Like 1

What he told me is it retards the timing which in turn fauls out the plugs he has had a few vehicles in for that issue. He is right about it retarding the timing because of higher octane. Our vehicles are set up to run on regular unleaded. When I get to the dealership I will ask the service manager if he has had any of these problems

These motors are engineered to adjust the timing based on the octane. My Mustang does the same exact thing. Hence why the owners manual talks about increased performance with a higher octane.

If the service guy is not aware of this, i wouldn't want him working on my motor.

Owners Manual page 159:

We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87. Premium unleaded gasoline will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage, for example a fully loaded vehicle.

Sorry - need to make sure I understand this. The SALESMAN said not use use premium octane fuel in a turbo motor ... is that correct? Does he know anything about KR and detonation ? In my experience, if premium fuel is fowling plugs then regular octane fuel will cause the motor to explode lol.

This thread is so full of fail... 3.5 eco boost? Premium bad for turbo motor? Lol

+1 to this. Seriously, why do people put so much faith in slack jawed local mechanics? Seriously - how many truly GOOD Ford techs are there out there? These are the same guys who tell you that you still need an oil change every 3000 miles. Maybe they'll change your blinker fluid too.

Premium fuel does not cause retarding timing. It does the exact opposite. The engine will ADVANCE timing with premium fuel increasing horsepower, torque, and improving throttle response. It is designed expressly to adapt to fuel from 87-93 octane. 101 octane is beyond premium and is close to av gas or race fuel - he's right that you would not want to use that kind of fuel without being tuned for it but mostly because it would be a waste. The stock timing maps do not have programming for such high octane so it would offer no benefit.

Only crap fuel would foul plugs.

No negative reflection on sideswipe though. He was just trying to give everyone a heads up from what his dealer told him. I appreciate members willing to pass along this type of info no matter how valid. It is how we all become knowledgable about our vehicles and any issues we have. So when we go to our dealers, we are informed and can tell when our dealers aren't steering us in the right direction.

You cannot put e85 in a eco boost engine that will

Faul the plugs. My sales representative told me

Wrong

That definitely makes more sense. E85 is a whole other animal. Though I would love to see a 2.7TT tuned for E85 :) Would probably give it a good bump to a healthy 350hp.

-sj

You CAN run E15 or a little higher in an EB motor, but it is definitely not mfr recommended. So, for example, you might add 1-1.5 gallons of E85, rest of it regular gasoline (assuming it is E10 already). Having a bit of that extra ethanol in the mix helps keep the soot from accumulating on the insides of the tailpipes, not sure if the fuel ACTUALLY burns cleaner though.

Down here the octane for Premium is 95+ and Regular ranges from a 91 octane min to a 95 octane max. Both are MMT Aditive free.

That means that down here, Regular is the best fuel for an EB engine right?

Over at http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/ they mention 93 octane fuel but don't mention that 93 is the top limit one you should put in.

That definitely makes more sense. E85 is a whole other animal. Though I would love to see a 2.7TT tuned for E85 :) Would probably give it a good bump to a healthy 350hp.

-sj

but your feul mileage would go way down , but i bet these ecoboost engines would becone a monster. who makes programers for the edge? A Corn Fed EDGE would be cool. Did E85 in my old Mazdaspeed6 and it made a huge differance. Someone out here gots to be smart enough to do this. :rockon:

but your feul mileage would go way down , but i bet these ecoboost engines would becone a monster. who makes programers for the edge? A Corn Fed EDGE would be cool. Did E85 in my old Mazdaspeed6 and it made a huge differance. Someone out here gots to be smart enough to do this. :rockon:

The big problem with the cars that aren't rated for E85 is that the parts probably aren't rated for E85 either. Ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline and while the ECU may have a timing table for E85 that is not advertised, the mechanical parts would have premature failures.

The big problem with the cars that aren't rated for E85 is that the parts probably aren't rated for E85 either. Ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline and while the ECU may have a timing table for E85 that is not advertised, the mechanical parts would have premature failures.

I would assume the appropriate supporting hardware modifications to convert to E85 (injectors, fuel supply system, etc), as well as the correct engine mapping and tuning. Coming from the Subaru world, this is not an unheard of thing to do, and has been done with success for quite a while. Not sure about the current gen DI engines.

By no means do I think people will be actually doing this with their Edge's, was just more of a thought experiment.

-SJ

Down here the octane for Premium is 95+ and Regular ranges from a 91 octane min to a 95 octane max. Both are MMT Aditive free.

That means that down here, Regular is the best fuel for an EB engine right?

Over at http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/ they mention 93 octane fuel but don't mention that 93 is the top limit one you should put in.

There are different methods of measuring the octane rating of fuel. In short, USA uses the AKI while costa Rica uses RON. So 91 Octane in Costa Rica is nearly equivalent to 87 in USA and the 95 in Costa Rika is equal to 90-91 in USA.

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

• Like 1