Today was Blueberry's turn at the dealership for MomOSHA to learn about MFT. The dealer instructor went through everything and set up the web page for access. He noted it needed an update to the software and scheduled an appointment for later today. I then went home and set about activation of the Sirius radio which I soon discovered with the sirius attendant that the system in Blueberry did not match the system installed originally with Blueberry. Once the vin# and radio matching was configured I deducted that the APIM must have been diagnosed as bad and replaced. I then activated the upload of the vehicle health and when I returned the attendant went to update the software via usb and discovered that the software had already been updated to the latest version. He then confirmed this via the vehicle web page that I had activated and uploaded into the data. This confirms the APIM in Blueberry was also replaced with a new APIM and the software updated. Overall everything is working well and all set. Now I wonder how much of it all my wife will remember? LOL

This discovery could be helpful if you are buying a used 2011-2012 Ford Edge and the sales person does not know if the APIM has been replaced. simply call Sirius and they would tell you that the radio id number does not match the vin# which confirms the APIM has been removed and replaced with another unit.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 2

I jumped ahead of myself and went to install the new rear brake caliper pin kits in Lullubelle. I used the new camera to video the installation and also recorded the removal and installation of the Low Frequency Dampers (how to) video. MG was off having fun so the whole video is via tripod and static. I searched around and nothing on this type of repair on the ford edge and the Low Frequency Damper info is also rather sparse. Video is rendering now and with the new camera the file size has increased so it should take a bit of time to upload. Most likely up and running tomorrow.

Here is the video on the removal and installation of a rear brake caliper pin kit and the removal and installation of the Low Frequency Dampers on the 2011 through 2014 Ford Edge, Ford Escapes etc. Not much out on the web on this so I can pretty much say this is nearly a first on this.

• Like 1

Now the two person brake line bleeding of Lullubelle with MercyGirl on the brake pedal. I'll teach her about cars yet. Not the best video as the camera was having issues focusing and I actually lost some video because it is so out of focus. I salvaged what I could to create this video. Hope it helps someone that wants to bleed the brake lines on any vehicle really as it is pretty much the same for most vehicles.

• Like 1

Lullubelle is in need of new spark plugs any suggestions? Stay with Ford OEM or is there a proven better brand? I am also changing out the gaskets, just because I am there. New PCV after all I am there again. Might as well since the cost is not that much.

Can't really beat Ford OEM unless you want to find copper-based equivalents (Autolite or Champion, I think) :) And measure gap, but don't necessarily re-gap if not too far off. Mine ranged from 0.055-0.058 from the factory. I have had better results just plugging them in w/o changes. Gaskets I got the Victor Reinz, probably the best you can buy, for Ford products at least. New PCV sounds good, keep that oil vapor flowing as intended!

This is some I am looking at on Rockauto. I have not yet checked out amazon.

AUTOLITE Part # XP5363

Iridium XP
OE Style; Gap: .054
$4.99 BOSCH Part # 9616 OE Fine Wire Iridium
Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset
$5.31 DENSO Part # 5339 {#ITV20} Iridium Plug; Iridium Power
Gap 0.044; Performance Upgrade with World's Smallest Center Electrode (0.4 mm Dia.) & Tapered Tip Patented U-Groove Design & Patented Ir Alloy (90% Ir)
$5.62 DENSO Part # 4719 Iridium TT
Gap 0.040; Ultimate Endurance and Power, 0.4mm Iridium and 0.7mm Platinum Twin-Tip Technology
Choose: + Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack $5.62 NGK Part # 4344 {#LTR5IX11} Iridium IX
Gap .054
prevIMGsmall.gif
$6.43 NGK Part # 90607 Laser Iridium
Gap .054
$9.70 NGK Part # 3811 {#ILTR5A13G} Laser Iridium
Gap .054
prevIMGsmall.gif
$14.19

Autozone has the 2011 Ford Truck Edge Limited 2WD 3.5L SFI DOHC 6cyl Part Number: SP-520 plugs for $3.99 each vice the amazon price of about 8 bucks each for the same plug. The 520's appear to be the iridium and the 420 the older style copper ends (at least from the photos) I know the iridium's are OEM so not sure how the 420's come into play.

Ah, mea culpa! It is supposed to be 520, not 420 for the 2011+! I tried to use the strikeout feature to correct the post, but the line coincides with the flat line on the 4 and can't be seen :doh: Anyways, Autozone always has this 20% off on items shipped to home, or you can take advantage of gift cards you can use online/instore (check out giftcardgranny.com). I have used Cardpool, CardCash, ABC Gift Cards, and Raise as vendors, multiple times and all without a hitch.

• Like 1

After a bit of driving between both the 2011 Ford Edges I have come to not that even though they both have the same engine and transmission etc. Each Edge has a slight difference in how it runs and feels. Hard to state exactly what the differences are but they a just slightly different.

macbwt - couple of questions I have.

1) re the transmission flush. What of the trans filter ? Wouldn't you consider doing a trans flush without changing the filter 50% of what is needed or did I miss that part in the video?

2) (see pic) When tightening bolt 1, what keeps bolt 2 from spinning in the slide pin area ?

post-22594-0-45878800-1435526349_thumb.png

Edited by Tacyon
  • Like 1

Great question on the transmission flush. Thing is I believe the filter is a life time filter as Ford says, but don't quote me on this. WWW or Akirby may be able to answer this more specifically. To access the filter is a some what difficult job and an expense that I never performed. This being said. I never changed the filter on the Orange Crush and the transmission was running great and peeking at 300K miles.

For the low frequency dampers and the other caliper pins once you get them to tighten against the caliper bracket friction will then prevent them from spinning. just keep in mind you are not torquing them. Everyone of them tried to spin a bit until they made contact with the caliper and then sandwiched it so to speak.

macbwt - couple of questions I have.

1) re the transmission flush. What of the trans filter ? Wouldn't you consider doing a trans flush without changing the filter 50% of what is needed or did I miss that part in the video?

2) (see pic) When tightening bolt 1, what keeps bolt 2 from spinning in the slide pin area ?

Edited by macbwt

if true about the filter being "life time" that would be interesting .. given how dirty the trans fluid looked.

Also .. funny side comment ... (and I just kidding ya ... had to) I looked up the torque specs for the brake bracket and it actually said, "snug it up real good" True story ! :)

• Like 1

And that is what I said and did. Although I do sometimes create my own problems with the "left loosy, righty Tighty" thing. I have been referred to as a bull in a china shop when working with bolts and wrenches. I get them off either way.

if true about the filter being "life time" that would be interesting .. given how dirty the trans fluid looked.

Also .. funny side comment ... (and I just kidding ya ... had to) I looked up the torque specs for the brake bracket and it actually said, "snug it up real good" True story ! :)

Edited by macbwt