what would happen

just gonna throw this one out there....i'm looking to buy a travel trailer...its a hybrid expandable one that weighs in at 3498lbs... its the perfect trailer for me and about the only one i could find under the limit...do you think i would be ok towing it with my edge...its got the trailer tow package...

no... Maximum Towing Capacity is listed as 3500 lbs... heck, that trailer is 3498 lbs - so you could load it with 2 pounds and be good :huh: technically...

as to what would happen... ruin brakes, loss of control and steering stability, over heat radiator as it is not rated higher and the fans are designed to push air for the correct trailer weight, hammer the transmission, blow the engine if the oil cooler cannot keep up, etc. etc.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Stopping seems like the first problem you would encounter. You could probably get away with it although it is not adviseable. Don't forget that when you do go camping, you load up with food drinks, passengers, folding chairs, and a ton of other stuff you don't even realize you are bringing. All of that adds to the total combined weight of the vehicle. I've seen lots of over loaded vehicles towing WAY too big trailers all loaded down with as much as they can pack in or on them. You being the one who is actually concerned about doing it right would be the one to have a misshap and be liable god forbid someone got hurt for overloading your vehicle. Ignorance is not an excuse...

Find a slightly smaller trailer.

yeah, but 'combined weight' is much different than 'max towing capacity' in that combined weight does not know if the weight is all in the vehicle or all back in the trailer - which clearly matters as it can contradict the max towing weight.

for example, if you just took 8400 pounds 'combined weight' and you had an empty Edge with 1 average weight 175 pound adult, that would be Edge at curb weight of 4086 + 175 pound adult = 4261 total for the Edge leaving you 4139 in trailer weight to reach the claimed 'combined weight' of 8400, yet we know you should only pull a max trailer weight of 3500 pounds.... not 4139

Save gas - don't pull a trailer. Stay in a nice hotel, motel or lodge. You will likely save money over buying, insuring, pulling, feeding and caring for a trailer.

We all assume we will use them more than we really do and after a few years realize we have spent more on them than staying in nice accomodations, without all the hassle.

Just my opinion, nothing humble about it.

yeah...thats probably true for me also....but when have i ever listened to anyone that has good advise for me :banghead: i'm gonna do more research and will probably end up taking your advise(not buying one) but i have a 4 year old and another on the way...i think they will really enjoy the great outdoors...i know my 4 year old does.....we'll see

yeah...thats probably true for me also....but when have i ever listened to anyone that has good advise for me :banghead: i'm gonna do more research and will probably end up taking your advise(not buying one) but i have a 4 year old and another on the way...i think they will really enjoy the great outdoors...i know my 4 year old does.....we'll see

Camp the oild fashioned way. Get a tent and all the stuff that goes with it. You could haul it all in a small utility trailer. Better yet, when the oldest child is old enough, sign up to be a scout leader. You will make some great memories and have a positive impact on the lives of your kids and their friends.

yeah but my wife hates tents(me too) guess i'm a city boy at heart...but i do enjoy the lake and outdoors...i got to thinkin, if i bought the trailer i listed above, i could just store it at the lake that we go to....i figure it would be fine to use the edge to pull it across town to the campground to set it up...i wouldn't be pulling it across country or anything like that....

My family always camped in tents, not really roughing it, nice campgrounds and such. I also took two boys through the scouts, so I did some of that too.

But this was when the family was way younger. I sort of enjoyed it, but was never really comfortable when bad weather hit (almost every other year!) Camping in a tent in the rain is miserable!

The first time we rented a trailer, 17 footer, It was great. The kids had the tents, we had the bed and the heater.

I had a F150 pickemup which was great to trailer with. Since I don't intend of pulling a trailer nowadays, I didn't go with the package this time.

I know what you mean about trailering. However, I would recommend you NOT haul what you picture with a Edge, even with the $350 Trailer-towing package and most certainly NOT with some add on hitch for those pounds!

This thread reminded me of another thread this summer. I was too lazy to rewrite it so here ya go... :reading:

These tent trailers have come a long way. Heat/AC, Stove, 2 way refrigerator, plenty of storage, Electrical Outlets, Lights, screen room and more. I got this one when it was One year old for $3,300.

I just towed my tent-trailer 1,000+ miles over the fourth of July. Averaged 15 miles per gallon and some of the trip was in hilly conditions (I hesitate to say mountains in the Black Hills but....). No complaints on either the camper or the tow vehicle. It is a nice camper if you are looking to enter the field. Sleeps 8 so most definitely much bigger than a closet.....

model_floorplans_pic_562.jpg

Unloaded wieght? 1,555 LBS Well within the recommended range.

• 4 weeks later...
just gonna throw this one out there....i'm looking to buy a travel trailer...its a hybrid expandable one that weighs in at 3498lbs... its the perfect trailer for me and about the only one i could find under the limit...do you think i would be ok towing it with my edge...its got the trailer tow package...

If that is the actual weight of the trailer itself, I would say, it's a no. Just make sure that isn't the GVW rating. The trailer itself might weigh much less that that. The GVW would be the max weight of the trailer when fully loaded.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to upgrade from a 1900 LB pop-up to one of the new 17 foot travel trailers that have about a 2500 LB dry weight. I just bought my new EDGE last November with the factory installed hitch/tow prep package. I know it can handle my pop-up but I am assumimg from what I read on this forum is that it should not have a problem towing the 17' foot trailer. My question is about the 4-PIN connector that comes factory installed. It is my undestanding that these lightweight travel trailers all have electric brakes which I believe means I need a "7 pin connector" to tow these trailers. I went to and RV show recently and a salesman confimed I would need the "7 pin" connector and said his shop could chnage that no problem. Does anyone have advice on this? Does anyone know if the "4 Pin" wiring cannot or should not be replaced with the "7 PIN" connector on my EDGE? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
well i thought i would start with a two car trailer loaded with a couple of suburban 4wds.... :tease: just kidding...i wanna buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...A:IT&ih=022

That is a very nice trailer. However, with the Edge you won't be able to pull any type of "solid state" trailer. Your best bet is to get a pop-up. they are much lighter in weight and some of the new ones are as nice as the one you are looking at. The high sided pop ups even have microwaves and bathrooms in them. Many of them now have hydraulic or mechanical lifts so you don't have to crank them up.

I have a 25' Coleman Caravan that I have on the market now. I traded in my tow vehicle, a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer, for my Edge. I would love to keep the trailer but I have no way to pull it. I figure in the next couple of years the camping bug will strike again and I'll buy a pop-up.