2016 Edge Start Up dates

Latest dates are the order bank opens 10/12 so the order guide should be out within the next 2 weeks but it's not available yet.

Thanks for the info. I was recently told mid October by the dealer...They said last they heard it will include adaptive cruise and sync 3...but as everything changes can be made last minute...

Production start is not 10/22 - that's when scheduling begins. Job 1 is 12/2.

akirby,

Just curious is Job 1 the first mixture of vehicles being built and then Job 2 for those who order? I am going down this Monday to order, but I want to be realistic on how long it may take to receive my vehicle.

thanks,

No. Job 1 is the first version of production vehicles. They build them, inspect them and hold them at the plant until they build with no errors for 5 consecutive days. This could take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or longer. No customer orders are built during this time because some vehicles end up sitting at the plant for weeks waiting on inspection and repairs. Once the 5 days are up they give the OK to buy and they start shipping vehicles directly off the assembly line. At that point customer orders begin to be scheduled and built. The early builds are inspected, repaired if necessary and shipped.

Job 2 (and 3 and 4, etc.) comes later if they make a change in how the vehicles are built - usually they add a feature but they can also remove features, change prices, make other modifications, etc. It's just a version number for the factory to keep track.

I was hoping to make the Edge a family Christmas present, now I can call it a "birthday present" for my wife in February. If it takes much longer, I'll have to call it an anniversary present in July ;)

Nice! Same here. Need a new vehicle for a family roadtrip in February. If I can't get a factory order Edge by then, I'll be forced to buy off the lot or worse...buy a Murano. :cry:

No. Job 1 is the first version of production vehicles. They build them, inspect them and hold them at the plant until they build with no errors for 5 consecutive days. This could take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or longer. No customer orders are built during this time because some vehicles end up sitting at the plant for weeks waiting on inspection and repairs. Once the 5 days are up they give the OK to buy and they start shipping vehicles directly off the assembly line. At that point customer orders begin to be scheduled and built. The early builds are inspected, repaired if necessary and shipped.

Job 2 (and 3 and 4, etc.) comes later if they make a change in how the vehicles are built - usually they add a feature but they can also remove features, change prices, make other modifications, etc. It's just a version number for the factory to keep track.

ak; A few questions; What do they do with those J1 vehicles after the inspections? Are these the same "early builds" that you have referred to in your last sentence about "early builds"? What is the run rate during the J1 phase, and how does this compare with normalized production run rates after the any bugs are sorted out? Thanks

Those early builds are stock dealer orders so they're shipped out and end up on dealer lots. And yes, in some cases they have issues like my 2013 fusion. But I don't expect those types of problems with the 2016 edge because it's not a new design or platform and except for sync 3 is virtually the same as the 2015.

Once they reach the ok to buy I think the line is at full speed. Not sure about before that.

Those early builds are stock dealer orders so they're shipped out and end up on dealer lots. And yes, in some cases they have issues like my 2013 fusion. But I don't expect those types of problems with the 2016 edge because it's not a new design or platform and except for sync 3 is virtually the same as the 2015.

Once they reach the ok to buy I think the line is at full speed. Not sure about before that.

Thanks for the info akirby...What problems are you having with your 13 Fusion? I have a 13 Fusion Titanium and have had no issues to date. I have ~55k miles on it and all is well (at least for now)...I was the first person to get one in the Indianapolis area, it arrived in either Late October or early November of 2012. BTW I have done a few mods to my car with STEEDA upgrades and now the car is where it should have been from the start.

Had fuel tank replaced once (not filling up all the way) and needs another one to fix a knocking sound when full of fuel. A trim piece on the door had to be glued back on. I have an intermittent buzz from the climate control system interior temp sensor, a steering recall still waiting for parts and something else - I forgot.

Don't get me wrong - I knew that was likely when I bought it in February off the lot but decided I didn't want to wait any longer and I don't regret that decision. The problems are just nitpicks - I still love it.

• 2 weeks later...

When I spoke to my dealer last month, they said they would order one from their initial allocation using my specs. Hearing about the job 1 potential issues, I'm having second thoughts about that approach. I'd rather not risk getting one of the early run cars, despite the minimal changes from the '15s.

Fingers crossed there is not strike or other delay.. Waiting for this car has been an exercise in patience. I had to dump another $1.5k into my 13yr old car just to keep it going until the new year.

... Waiting for this car has been an exercise in patience. I had to dump another $1.5k into my 13yr old car just to keep it going until the new year.

I feel your pain! I had to spend $1K do accomplish the same thing on my truck. I am shooting for an April-May delivery, and with any luck I will not need to drop anymore $ into the "old warhorse" trough.

Edited by Chipster