Aftermarket wheels and tires for winter

Etienne Bégin

Hi guys. I have a Ford Edge Sport with the 22s on it, and just took it out in our first Wisconsin snow storm and its awful. Acceleration is fine with the stock tires but turning and stopping is really bad. I've had Blizzaks on plenty of other cars I've owned and they are excellent!

My only question is what rim diameter should I go with? Tirerack has 18" options and 20" options. I'd hate to buy 18s and have the car feel too squishy. I'm thinking of buying 20" rims and Blizzaks, so the car maintains a little bit of a sporty feel whilst running the Winter Blizzaks.

Thanks!

Winter safety will be better with the 18s, no question (more room to absorb those bumps & lumps you can't see). The 20s will be sportier, but not as safe, IMHO. If you are an "active" driver, though, the 20s will work fine. One interesting tidbit: the more open the wheel, the more packed the snow and ice seem to get onto the wheel, destabilizing the wheel/tire performance. The OEM 22s are very open compared to the 18s.

Yah I read some of that, that ice and snow is freezing in the rim causing them to become unbalanced. I'd know how to fix that right away but the Mrs won't, so I don't want her to have to deal with something like that.

I'm worried with the 18s that maybe the car would feel like it would want to dip and roll a lot more in a fast turning situation? Maybe I'm overthinking it. 18" rims are still big rims compared to what we used to run years ago. Thanks.

I just bought these winter rims for my 2015 Ford Edge:

https://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/touren-tr60-5x108-114-3-noir-mat-machine-matte-black-machined-18x8-offset-deport-40-72-6.tire

I will be getting those installed on 1 winter used Dunlop winter tires this week.

what edge model do you have edmonton guy?

How was did your edge fair after this last dump of snow......Ive been super impressed with our edge sport on blizzaks.

You won't find any 18"steels for the Edge.... Normally the older edges they used a 17" steel for winter tires, but now that 2015 they changed bolt pattern to 5x108 and also increased the size if the brakes, So the 17" wheels will now not work. Must got to a 18" or larger, but only issue is they do not make the 5x108 wheel on anything bigger than a 17". So now you go from a $70 steel rim to a $200+ Alloy wheel

Check this site for 18" 5x108 steel rims

https://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/steel-wheel-18x8-5x108-65-1-40-noir-black.tire

Before I bought my alloys from PMC tires, I called their customer service and asked about these steel rims. They told me that these wont fit on the 2015 Ford Edge. Its a glitch on their website. Thats why I bought the Alloys from them.

https://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/touren-tr60-5x108-114-3-noir-mat-machine-matte-black-machined-18x8-offset-deport-40-72-6.tire

My new Touren TR60 Gunmetal 18 x 8 winter rims with Continental Winter contact SI.

http://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Touren/TR60/3260-8814G

I really wanted Blizzak DM-V2's but waited too long, sold out everywhere. I've had Blizzak DM-Z3's and DM-V1's on my last 2 vehicles and sware by them, awsome tires. I must say however that these Continentals are very good on wet and dry pavement, quieter and more positive feedback than the Blizzaks not so squirmy. Maybe partly due to less tread depth when new, 10/32 for the Conti's vs 13/32 for the blizzaks. I think they are [probably a good trade off to keep some degree of handling to suit the Sport suspension. Need to wait for some snow and ice to give my final verdict.

post-38413-0-01503000-1448943758_thumb.jpgpost-38413-0-23814200-1448943762_thumb.jpgpost-38413-0-95536200-1448943765_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

LOL those 18s on the Sport look strange.

LOL....looks like a little go-cart....but hey, if they work who cares....its winter time....and besides, 18" winter tires are priced much better than the 20" ones.

I would have went with that option had I been able to find an appropriate affordable 18" rim.

• 2 years later...

Searched through all the wheel and tire threads, figured I would bring this one back to life since it seems most revelant.

We just purchased a 2015 Edge Titanium with the 20" wheels. Ohio roads are terrible in the winter and don't want to risk damaging them. Has anyone found an inexpensive 18" rim to use with snow tires?

I ran a similar rim to the one linked below on my wife's G6 for years and it held up great. The 17" ones for her G6 were only $40 a piece.

http://www.wheelsexpressonline.com/new-18-5x108-5x425-black-steel-wheel-rim-fits-ford-lincoln-185108m-185108m

Anyone used these?

Edited by HEAD

I ended up with the non chrome oem 18's on my SEL. Tires & TPMS sensors was like $800 shipped to my door. Pretty sure that you browse Craigslist or ebay & find a set. I'm pretty sure that the was also a slight bolt pattern change, not sure what year, so older edge wheels won't fit. If i was you, I'd look for 2015+ wheels. They usually show up around this time of year, just before winter.

I've actually been looking for a few weeks for Edge wheels. And I have been looking very regularly for Fusion wheels for the last 3 years. It seems the Edge and Fusion are not commonly "accessorized" vehicles around here. So nothing shows up on Craigslist or FB. Looking on Ebay, I am lucky to find a single factory wheel for under $150. I'll probably just end up giving the steel wheels a try.