Ford Edge interior cabin air filter removal and replacement

my 07 has a washable filter. I check it about every 7 months and I am always surprised at how dirty it gets. If anyone is having airflow problems, this is the place to start. when I got the car it hadn't been looked at for 7 years. The airflow was down to nothing and I almost didn't buy the car.

The first gen A/C replacement procedure is almost the same except there are no pins to remove and the "string" is on the right side and not the left. Thanks for the video

• Like 1

After reading your post, decided to check mine. Last changed it last October. Figured it would have a little bit of dirt, bugs, etc. Dan thing was full, not just dirty, but a full 1" to 2" deep! Looked like I had sucked in some type of foam product, it shredded and evenly covered the filter. Had a time getting it all out without spilling over into the fan. Threw the old one away and installed a new ATP filter. I'm going to have to watch this to make certain that I got it all. Tnx for posting this.

• Like 2

From my experience, I used ATP's carbon (charcoal) cabin air filter & found that air flow is less compared to the Motorcraft filter.

Ā 

TYC's normal (non-charcoal) filter also had more air flow, but the filter surrounding (bezel?) is thick, like ATP's, the filter door has 2 or 3 plastic protruding pieces that are supposed to hold the filter in place when you close the filter door.

Ā 

With the thicker filter surroundings of the TYC & ATP filters, the filter door would actually squeeze the filter in instead of holding it in place. If you look at the filter from the top, you might even see the filter bending becaus of it.

• Like 1

This was the first time I have used an ATP carbon filter (been using Motorcraft filters up to now). I did notice that the filter didn't fit perfectly the first time I put it in, took it back out and turned it 90*, and it seemed to fit perfectly. (That is, it went into the housing all the way.)

Haven't made up my mind yet if it blocks the airflow. My 8 month-old filter was packed full and I still had sufficient airflow.

Ā 

BTW I used an ATP FA-14 filter.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

From my experience, I used ATP's carbon (charcoal) cabin air filter & found that air flow is less compared to the Motorcraft filter.

Ā 

TYC's normal (non-charcoal) filter also had more air flow, but the filter surrounding (bezel?) is thick, like ATP's, the filter door has 2 or 3 plastic protruding pieces that are supposed to hold the filter in place when you close the filter door.

Ā 

With the thicker filter surroundings of the TYC & ATP filters, the filter door would actually squeeze the filter in instead of holding it in place. If you look at the filter from the top, you might even see the filter bending becaus of it.

Added some images taken yesterday hoping to make things clear. Note: The first one is an "unscientific" comparison showing the Moorcroft Filter more transparent, hence less restrictive in my opinion.

post-24673-0-15621000-1435480111_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-15928300-1435480117_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-94072400-1435480124_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-98055900-1435480127_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-96672900-1435480130_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-56088000-1435480135_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-14588600-1435480144_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-17014000-1435480148_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-57390800-1435480151_thumb.jpg

post-24673-0-55790300-1435480155_thumb.jpg

Now we get down to micron filtration. The smaller the opening the less particulates you get swirling around inside. Thus if you want better filtration you need smaller micron openings and in some ways less air flow. Better air flow larger micron openings. Or change the filter more often. Each owner needs to check the filter and then change it according to usage. Since I drive so much I will change mine at least twice if not three times a year maybe more due to usage. To bad we can't install industrial compressed air purge filters then just set it and let the system clean out the filter. LOL

Ā 

Neato! The number of pleats is the same on all 3, so it comes down to the material/size.

• Like 1

Anyone have a link to and/or part number for the best replacement filter out there? My 13 seems to have decent airflow but I'm 99% it's going to be the original filer in there and I need to fix that. Thanks. in advance :) !!!

Ā 

Ā 

All from RockAuto for a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. They "should" all be the same but verify your specific model.

ATP -> https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2478306 ( activated charcoal)

ATP-> https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2478488&cc=1446671&jnid=502&jpid=2 ( non- charcoal)

TYC -> https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1962988&cc=1446671&jnid=502&jpid=0 (non- charcoal)

Motorcraft -> ( non- charcoal)

FRAM Fresh Breeze -> https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1392139&cc=1446671&jnid=502&jpid=10

(uses "the natural deodorizing qualities of Arm & Hammer baking soda" - not "FebrezeĀ® as you might assume)

• Like 1

Postman showed up today with -> ATP -> https://www.rockauto....php?pk=2478306 ( activated charcoal)

Ā 

And I must say, of all the bone headed ways to hide or block ease of serviceability, this filter is NOT an example!

Ā 

Including opening the new box and parts baggie, getting at, removing, and comparing physical size, then reinstallation, close up and put crap back in the glove box. .. total time, ~5 minutes. BAM. :rockon:

Ā 

See if you can guess which is the old one and which is the new one ? B)

Ā 

p.s. 73,500 miles on a 2011 that I purchased with ~9000 miles on her. So this is probably the 1st change out.

Ā 

post-22594-0-46539600-1435862830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tacyon

Wait until I post the Air filter change on Lullubelle. Not sure but I think there was a gummy bear in there holding a french fry.

Postman showed up today with -> ATP -> https://www.rockauto....php?pk=2478306 ( activated charcoal)

Ā 

And I must say, of all the bone headed ways to hide of block easy of serviceability, this filter is NOT an example! Including opening the new box and parts baggie, getting at, removing, and comparing physical size, then reinstallation, close up and crap back in the glove box. .. total time, ~5 minutes. BAM. :rockon:

Ā 

See if you can guess which is the old one and which is the new one ? B)

Ā 

p.s. 73,500 miles on a 2011 that I purchased with ~9000 miles on her. So this is probably the 1st change out.

Ā 

attachicon.gifCabinFilter.jpg

• 1 year later...

Replaced the filter on my MKX today but the plastic retainer clip attached to the string that holds glove box past the bumper came loose. Tried to attach it back but the plastic retainer fell behind the trip so I can't find it. Any ideas on replacement part number for this clip and any issues if it gets left loose inside the panel?

You didn't specify the year, here is a link for the 2009, change if your car is a different year.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=spXkL7B3GeJw71D9ISAevQ%3d%3d&id=400320874&m=2&search=true&year=2009&make=Lincoln&model=MKX

Ā 

What exactly did you mean by "fell behind the trip"?

Edited by enigma-2

I mean it got lost behind the trim. I was able to shake the part out from the plastic panel under the glove box eventually so at least its not loose bouncing around there now.Thanks for the part link. Mine is a 2011 and was able to fine the correct part number using your link but part price seems expensive and not necessary for proper function. I will try to fix the one I have by placing the plastic tab back in and attaching back to the rope and it fails leave it as is.