Power Steering Leak

Hey guys new to the forum my Old lady has a 2007 edge and its loosing ps fluid. im assuming it the pump, if that happens to b the case has anyone taken one off before? looks like its tucked pretty hard up in there and does anyone have any pointers or know of a good write up on it. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Pumps not really failing that much but the power steering lines do. You may want to raise the edge up and find out exactly where the leak is coming from (most likely a line connection) keep in mind that line is a little on the pricy side. I paid over 120 bucks for just the line.

I can not remember exactly which line it was that failed but it failed near the pump or at the pump connection. I believe the best way to get to it will be from below on the passenger side. You may need to remove the inner tire well to access it better. I do not have a repair manual to provide the exact directions but someone here WWW? may be able to provide that information.

This post by autom8r might be just what you need, Daniel:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12767-how-to-change-high-pressure-power-steering-line-on-2007-edge/?do=findComment&comment=101318

If you had an ESP warranty, it should be covered, as this post by ls973800 says:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14553-2011-ford-edge-sel-leaking-ps-leaking-at-banjo-fitting-not-covered-under-premium-esp/?do=findComment&comment=112275

Another experience from a 2009 owner:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7545-power-steering-leak/?do=findComment&comment=123433

The location of the actual drip may be concealed from view by heatshield material, as shown in this post:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17795-drip-under-engine-bay-2007-ford-edge-sel-plus/?do=findComment&comment=129135

post-35063-0-07142300-1429581502_thumb.j post-35063-0-34725300-1429581507_thumb.j post-35063-0-40109000-1429581512_thumb.j

TSB on power steering leaks

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Don't let the pump go dry while waiting to repair it or you will be installing a new pump and hoses.

wow guys i really appreciate the help with any luck im hoping its the line, going to get it up and see what i can see this next weekend when im off and i will post pics and any info i can for future reference, thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, do you have a pic?

post-23566-0-53941100-1436461994_thumb.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 3A713 Steering gear-to-fluid cooler return hose

2 W711787 Power steering gear-to-fluid cooler hose bracket bolts (2 required)

3 3C750 Return hose-to-return line clamp

4 3C750 Power steering pressure line-to-fluid cooler hose clamp

5 3A713 Power steering pressure line-to-fluid cooler hose

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 6 months later...

Hey RNation0001,

did you replace the hose assembly identified as AT43-3A563-AB on the actual part, a Ford replacement Part # 7T4Z-3A713-A. as I have the exact same leak in the area where the clamp is, the pipe has rotted out on my Edge Ltd 2009. I'm not sure which is the best way to access the top connection to disconnect & re-connect the new part without taking stuff off. Did you have any success in replacing? A quick blow by blow on how you did it, would be much appreciated. or if anybody has instuctions for this?? My edge is AWD so right now can't see the connection even with the plastic wheel well cover off..

Thanks in advance for any assistance in my problem...

Geoff

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue. I have a 2008 Ford Edge SEL. I am a female so I have no idea about cars but here's my story and I think I am getting ripped off at my local ford dealership. I am hoping that someone can shed some light on how the system works.

April 2015- I had a leak that seemed like transmission fluid. I took it into the dealership and they told me that I needed an oil cooler replaced. OK...I had that replaced.

August 2016 (2 months ago and 8,400 miles since the oil cooler replacement) - I noticed a small leak with the same kind of fluid under my car and took it into the dealership. I also knew that it was time for front brakes.The told me that my radiator was leaking and was bad so it needed to be replaced. I had the front brakes and the radiator replaced. I drove the car for 1 month (118 miles until September 2016) and noticed a hissing sound when I hit the brakes. I thought maybe since the brakes were new, they needed a wear in period.

September 2016 The hissing sound was getting worse so I decided to research it and found that the most common problem was a bad brake booster and it is a common problem on Ford Edge's. (Note: there was no hissing sound before I had the rear brakes done.) I took it into the dealership and of course it was a bad brake booster. I had that replaced. Upon driving home from the dealership, I noticed that my tachometer was revving up and it felt like a "transmission slip". I had a friend of mine drive it and he confirmed that something was wrong. (Note: The car was not doing this until I had the brake booster replaced.) I also had my neighbor who works at the dealership as a salesman take the car into the dealership the next morning to "pull some strings". He reported back that they had to disconnect the battery and that they did a "power test" and there was nothing wrong with my transmission. The car had to "reset" since they disconnected the battery and "relearn" my driving habits. He said give it a week or two and then if you still have problems let me know. Admittedly, the "transmission slip" got alot better.

October 18, 2016 (yesterday and probably 150 miles after the September service) I dropped my nephew off at work and when I came home, I noticed spots and a massive spot of the very same fluid in my driveway. I popped the hood and there was no power steering fluid in the reservoir. I had it towed to the same dealership thinking that they may find something that they missed or should have replaced on my previous visits. They called an hour ago to inform me that my power steering hoses broke apart, it will be a $850.00 bill and I should replace all of them with the "assembly kit".

I find it very funny that I take my car in for one issue and it comes back with another very expensive repair. Can anyone shed any light on what could possibly be going on with the power steering system/oil cooler? Are all three repairs coincidental or could my dealership have caused the problems?

Hitting all the "sore" spots on the Edge! How many miles do you have on it, and had the transmission fluid/power steering fluid ever been changed before this? Coolant flushed? Radiator replacement is somewhat unusual, but it can happen, as it also is used to cool the transmission fluid. The rest are "normal" maintenance items, it sucks, but there it is. If you can post your invoices, we can look them over to see if there is anything that stands out.

Having the servicing done by a reputable non-dealer shop can save you a bunch of money.

Thanks for your reply. Have had all maintenance as required by Ford and the dealership. I have 158,000 miles on the car but I now work from home so I hardly drive anymore. I have had the transmission flushed before along with the radiator and when they replaced the radiator in August, they also flushed the coolant. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find any reputable non dealer repair shops near us. I have scanned the invoices and appreciate all your help.

Ford Edge Service records.pdf