Sony stereo

I kind of agree in the sense that the Sony Speakers sounded clearer on my '11 Edge, but I love Bass, and the speakers sound good to me. I have the bass set to full, treble 75% of the bass, and mid-range in the middle, by default. The big difference is stereo sounded better in '11 Edge, but surround sounds better in '16 Edge. Does anyone know the spec differences for these speaker systems ('11 Edge vs. '16 Edge)?

Edited by Manny2525

Just curious if you adjusted the audio controls in settings yet? Congrats on your new Sport.

I did get a chance to adjust per some of the posts here. Does sound a bit better. Still certainly not one of the highlights of a very nice vehicle I'm wondering how much difference changing the door speakers would make. Seems like the speaker(s) in the dash are quite pronounced (and muddy) but next to impossible to access in all likelihood(?).

Ā 

Anyone have any success improving the sound with the 12 speaker Sony system?

• Like 1

I'm no expert and I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but the 12-speaker Sony system in my 2016 Titanium is absolutely gorgeous. UNLESS I'm listening to Sirius radio or Bluetooth. To me, the system is so good and the vehicle is so well insulated sound-wise, it really highlights how compressed and tinny the Sirius music is. But if I put a CD in, it sounds like God. I upped the treble and bass a touch and dropped the mids a notch, and faded it slightly to the back. I wish satellite radio sounded better, because I love the content and the variety, but from where I sit, the best system in the world won't be able to fix the overly compressed, terribly thin sound that Sirius is beaming down to us.

Ā 

Anyway, I love my sound system and if I want to show off how great is sounds, I pop in Steely Dan's "Goucho" to demonstrate the awesomeness.

I did get a chance to adjust per some of the posts here. Does sound a bit better. Still certainly not one of the highlights of a very nice vehicle I'm wondering how much difference changing the door speakers would make. Seems like the speaker(s) in the dash are quite pronounced (and muddy) but next to impossible to access in all likelihood(?).

Ā 

Anyone have any success improving the sound with the 12 speaker Sony system?

Ā 

I've been in my 2016 Sport for about a week now and was disappointed with the sound at first but am very happy now after adjustments! Later tonight I'll take a picture of my settings and post, but the big thing I've noticed is that Sirius sort of sucks period, Bluetooth is better, and USB audio is great especially when streaming from a good source (like FLAC audio).

So since everyone has noticed different quality sound based on the source, you think an update should fix this? Akirby, would you know if a future update would fix this?

Ā 

Doubtful - I've noticed the same thing in other vehicles over the years - Bluetooth sounding OK and USB sounding great, in particular. Sirius I'm not so sure about.

Ā 

For the OP, here's that shot I promised of my settings. Also, I'm in Surround mode and balance/fade are set to default:

Ā 

nEFsy24.jpg

I do

Ā 

Ā 

Doubtful - I've noticed the same thing in other vehicles over the years - Bluetooth sounding OK and USB sounding great, in particular. Sirius I'm not so sure about.

Ā 

For the OP, here's that shot I promised of my settings. Also, I'm in Surround mode and balance/fade are set to default:

Ā 

nEFsy24.jpg

Ā 

I don't see the shot

I just traded in my 13 edge Sport for a 16 sport! There are a few improvements, engine is great!! But the sound system is not at all as good as my 13! I am sure the new QNX based software and noise cancelling system has something to do with this!! Can anyone confirm if there is a sound difference between a 2015 MFT vs 2016 Sync 3?? Or perhaps the whole system is of lesser quality than the 11-14 gen!!

Tried adjusting sound settings similar to those shown above and it does help to improve the sound a bit. There's just this really muddy band around the miss to lows that sounds bad. I noticed that it seems to help a bit too if I move the fader back a bit. In my car, the default was right in front of the seat as graphically displayed on the sync system. I moved it behind the seats a bit and I think it helps. The problem seems to stem from a speaker or speakers above the dash.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Tried adjusting sound settings similar to those shown above and it does help to improve the sound a bit. There's just this really muddy band around the miss to lows that sounds bad. I noticed that it seems to help a bit too if I move the fader back a bit. In my car, the default was right in front of the seat as graphically displayed on the sync system. I moved it behind the seats a bit and I think it helps. The problem seems to stem from a speaker or speakers above the dash.

Ā 

I agree. In stereo mode I covered up the center dash speaker with one of those rubber sticky mats used to hold cell phones on the dash. It actually improved the sound and separation. Mine sounds best with Treble at MAX , Mid at MIN or 1 up and BAS at MIN to 1 or 2 up depending on source or road noise. Fader toward the back 1 bump. Still trying to get best settings for surround mode. It's a little trickier. Still doesn't sound near as good as my Old 2004 Toyota 4Runner with Premium JBL 10Speaker sys or my wife's 2012 Toyota Camry with same system.Having hard time getting tight Bass and the muddiness out of the mid to highs. Bass is to boomy sounds like it's coming out of a large metal barrel. I think if we had at least 5 to 7 equalizer bands would help a lot. My personal opinion is the crossovers are crap. Like they are set the same for all of the speakers except the sub. This should sound so much better for a $36k vehicle. JMHO & My Ears

The Sony system in my 16 sport is awful, especially marketed as a "premium audio system" imo. Eventually I'm replacing the majority of it. All the speakers, sub, and amp. I'm sure just replacing the speakers would be a decent improvement, but I want it to be much more than that. The digital signal processors they have now make it so you can add aftermarket stuff and still retain all the factory voice/sound features. The only part I don't plan on replacing is the head unit.

• Like 2

From what I've read in other forums, Sony put a different amp in after the 2011 or 12 year. If you have the part #, you can find a used on on eBay, or maybe through a junk yard. People have also said to disconnect the center speaker to make it sound better. The center speaker is supposedly mono, and that is all I seem to hear. The bass thumps regardless of how I set it, and sounds separated from the rest of the mix. I just bought a used 2016 Edge Titanium, and had I listened a little better wouldn't have bought the car. My stock radio in my 2011 Honda Accord was much better. Everything sounds muddy. The sound of the blue tooth is so bad that calls or driving directions are unlistenable. Every time a different song comes on through my iPhone there is a loud "pop" at the beginning of each song. I do a lot of traveling so a listenable radio is a must. This is the worst stereo I've ever heard. The dealer ship has a 7 day like it or return it, and I hate to say I will be returning the Edge due to to the poor audio system.

• Like 1

From what I've read in other forums, Sony put a different amp in after the 2011 or 12 year. If you have the part #, you can find a used on on eBay, or maybe through a junk yard. People have also said to disconnect the center speaker to make it sound better. The center speaker is supposedly mono, and that is all I seem to hear. The bass thumps regardless of how I set it, and sounds separated from the rest of the mix. I just bought a used 2016 Edge Titanium, and had I listened a little better wouldn't have bought the car. My stock radio in my 2011 Honda Accord was much better. Everything sounds muddy. The sound of the blue tooth is so bad that calls or driving directions are unlistenable. Every time a different song comes on through my iPhone there is a loud "pop" at the beginning of each song. I do a lot of traveling so a listenable radio is a must. This is the worst stereo I've ever heard. The dealer ship has a 7 day like it or return it, and I hate to say I will be returning the Edge due to to the poor audio system.

Sounds like you have a defective product which should still be under warranty, so return the vehicle as you plan, or get it repaired under warranty - by no means is what you describe the norm.

There's definitely something wrong with your stereo. My wife use to own a 2011 Accord Touring and the Sony stereo in the Edge sounds waaaay better.

• Like 1

Umm gang, I hate to tell yā€™all, but transporting cars as a part time gig, the Sony setup in our 15+ Edges is probably one of the worst sounding environments out there. It bugs me to no end to jump into my edge after driving another vehicle for a few hours and instantly being assaulted with such poor audio quality. A $50k premium trimmed vehicle should have better audio without swapping components.

Umm gang, I hate to tell yall, but transporting cars as a part time gig, the Sony setup in our 15+ Edges is probably one of the worst sounding environments out there. It bugs me to no end to jump into my edge after driving another vehicle for a few hours and instantly being assaulted with such poor audio quality. A $50k premium trimmed vehicle should have better audio without swapping components.

Nobody is saying it's the best stereo, but this guy was returning his Edge because of it. Besides, what non premium car has a substantially better sound system? My wife has a Signature model Mazda CX-9 and the Edge system is just as good.

• 10 months later...

I know it is an old post, but...

I'm not sure if Explorer's MY11 Sony systemĀ is equal to Edge's MY18 one (on a speaker side), but I noticed that Edge's one is weaker in terms of bass (at least). My '11 Explorer has pretty stong bass at neutral setting is equilazer, countrary in '18 Edge it is set at maximum and still doesn't sound as strong as in Explorer.