Post 15B21 leak repair follow up report

Please use this thread to report the results of your dealer sealing your 2015 Edge. What are your results? Are your footwells now dry and is this issue now behind you? I hope so, but let's see....

*Edited to ask for additional info. Please disclose whether or not your Edge leaked before your dealer worked on it.

Edited by Chipster

Please use this thread to report the results of your dealer sealing your 2015 Edge. What are your results? Are your footwells now dry and is this issue now behind you? I hope so, but let's see....

It might also be good information if anyone posting would include their vehicle's build date or the last five digits of the vehicle's VIN.

Edited by MJB3

Well I have good news for any one that has bought a '15 edge.. Through ford reacquired vehicles they at first offered a deal to give me a new ford or Lincoln at same or higher msrp obviously at my cost if more than $2500... I said NO DEAL!!! I'm done with ford this whole thing has made me hate ford and I'm a ford guy drove a 99 ford SHO for 13 years I worked at the same ford dealership I bought the edge from for years I'm even ford master certified... So I counter offered and said submit for approval an offer to compeletly buy back my edge and break my lease, I wish it was as easy as I make it sound but it wasn't anywho I just got a call from ford reacquired vehicles saying that my offer was approved and ford it buying back my edge free and clear and I can move on and get the car of u choice not a ford... If anyone needs any help with there edge I have a ton of contacts please PM me I'd be more than happy to help!!

So far ive had to wet vac 4 gallons of water out our edge and it is now just going in for the 3 day inspection at the second dealership. Im told that if there is any hint of musty smell our edge will be eligible for buy back. I guess we will have to wait for 3 days to see what the inspection reveals.....all I know is the thing leaks like sieve....pretty disappointing in a 50k vehicle....I will post back in 3 days to give an update.

Edited by cds71

we are on our second dealer why......"its a long story...to keep it short, the dealer said they ordered parts.......4 wks later we contacted them about the parts and repair, and they had failed to order anything or report anything....thats when we got in contact with the regional CS via this forum.....needless to say its been a nightmare to deal with"!

does anyone have the full document on the 15b21. What documentation did the dealers receive.....because right now, it seems like it is the blind leading the blind.

cds; I can't say that this is the entire doc., but here is what I found.

post-35611-0-32325900-1438887543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

I nabbed this from the service writers desk and made a copy.... It's the check list when you bring it in for inspection.. Obviously my edge failed and I got the feeling no one knew what was going on and started the paper work to break my lease and end ford PM for more details but basically I ended my lease and they have me a check for all my payments made + down payment...

post-36484-0-22351500-1438962855_thumb.jpg

post-36484-0-33613700-1438962923_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I stopped by a dealer yesterday and mentioned this service bulletin, the service manager was unaware, got on his computer and determined 1 of the 4 on the lot was affected. He was appreciative and immediately took that unit out of "sales" until they could perform the service bulletin.

Hope this gets fixed quick and has anyone heard if this affects the mkx as well?

• Like 1

One week in the shop.....as it sits the inside of the Edge is completely stripped.....and waiting on parts. They tell me they will be replacing all of the electronic wiring harnesses, all of the insulation, and all of the carpets.

Edited by cds71

Bought a Titanium on 7-29 with a Feb build date, last 5 09016. Dealer delivered it that day, I had to ask the salesman about it and he mumbled something. Checked online and found the TSB still outstanding, so took it back a few days later and sat around for 4 hours while they did the inspection and put some dinosaur snot on the a pillar joints.

The car showed no signs of ever leaking, and has sat around through Spring with tons of rain, so I felt safe but wanted that TSB off the records.

I'm VERY disappointed that the dealer didn't do this before selling the car. This is an old, old dealership and should have known better.

Service folks were very nice.

I bought my 2015 Edge on 04/21/15 and it had a 02/27/15 production date. Last for digits of VIN are 5611. I did not have any signs of water on the carpets but I brought it in for the letter I got and they applied something. I am now getting a strange smell out of the vents that is more prevalent when the air is on. How do I know that this smell is not from water sitting somewhere even though my mats did not seem to have water? I brought my car in to the dealer last monday and they said they smelled something and applied some kind of spray on the cabin filter that Ford provided. I did bring my car in on 07/15/15 because the ABS Light and Advance TRAC light came on. The mechanic said the codes from car had shown that there was a communication error between 3 control units but did not know what caused the lights to come on. They only came on once and not again. How do I know that some water did not seep in and get into the cables under the floor mats and cause this issue. Because of this issue is my car going be worth less when I trade it in because of these issues?

We had that same smel(I would be concerned)......and lots of electronic errors failures and anomalies. ....our edge is in the final stage of assessment to determine if it qualifies as a buy back.

We had a lake in the driver side front and back and under the front passenger seat.

Edited by cds71

I had previously 'thought' and posted in other threads that my Edge Sport was leak free. I took it in to the dealer 'just in case' immediately after receiving the letter from Ford to be sealed again for good measure.

Well sadly the other day I began to notice a foul odor in the cabin, and sure enough my drivers side footwell etc is somehow soaked. I also have what I think is the beginning of mold growing under my drivers side floormat. So who knows how bad the actual carpet is?? The car smells like dirty gym socks! Needless to say I am pretty upset, as all of us who have been affected are I'm sure.

My wife is pregnant and I have 2 year old that we constantly ferry around, so I am less than thrilled at the prospect of mold etc growing inside a brand new $50k vehicle.

I've contacted Tricia, the Ford rep on this site, and my dealer to see what can be done. In the meantime I have contacted a lawyer as well. For extra fun I have family coming to visit tomorrow for the next week, and now it looks like we will be a vehicle short.

So my advice to anyone who thinks their Edge is sealed 'good and tight' is to be very vigilant. I checked the car constantly by pressing a dry paper towel on the carpets anytime it rained and it was fine for quite a while, until it wasn't!!

It's too bad as I really like the car, but at this point i don't want it anymore. For $50k I could have bought a different car that I enjoy just as much, and can actually be driven in the rain...what a concept!

So here is a vehicle that went through the prescribed inspection and sealing procedure and still had a subsequent leak. We also know that Ford is holding at least some brand new production at the factory (post-April 28 manufacture) for this issue, suggesting that the the problem may not have been fixed after April 28 and that perhaps Ford still does not really understand how the leak is occuring. After reading this and many other posts regarding this problem, it appears that this may not be a manufacturing problem, but rather a more fundamental design problem with the Edge. By design problem I mean, something analgous to roof shingles overlapping the wrong direction on the roof of a house. Or maybe there is some kind of flex problem with the body structure that causes what was a good waterproof seam at the time of manufacturey to fail with repeated small deflections and stresses of the body sections. Just speculation, of course, but it is hard to understand how a company with Ford's resources cannot get a handle on this flaw.

rockymtnsport.....Im sorry to hear about your dilemma....as it sounds very familiar to my situation. My advice is to contact your regional CS rep....as that really got the ball rolling for us.....and a positive note, ford has finally determined that our edge sport is eligible for the buy back and our dealer is currently looking for local stock that will be identical to our edge.

I hope your scenario turns out as good as ours.

I will say that our Regional rep was really good about the whole process....he is even going to reimburse us for the 3m Clear Bra pro.

Edited by cds71

Hey guys, new to the forum and just picked up a 2015 Edge Sport. Called Ford's customer call center and asked when my build date was, they said May 8th and then asked if the 15B21 applies to my car and she said no. I haven't washed my car or had it in the rain, but assuming it was on the dealership lot for so long and rained a bunch of times while sitting, I think my car is free from issues.

Good luck to those who have it :(