All Ford Edges Now on Factory Hold?

Denicio - Lets here a little story about when I ordered(well bought from existing dealers order) my last car, I bought a 2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged after reading the hype in all the magazines and test driving the only one to make it to Central Canada in the first shipment. After checking all the local dealers I found one that had a Black with Black leather coming in and I chose that one in October 2004. At that time the dealer thought they should be out in Canada by January, February. Feb rolls around and I had heard on the forums that there was a delay due to headlight seal failures on the 2 door model and they were just producing sedans until it could be corrected. Wait 2 more months to April and my vehicle is on the train to Canada and the dealer is tracking it. It makes it to Ontario where it is supposed to switch to a Canadian train to finish the shipment to the prairies but instead it sits in Ontario for 2 weeks to be shipped back to Ohio for another major fix. 6 weeks later comes early June and finally word that my car is back on a train coming to Canada. Well 9 months later I finally get my new car.

FREDLUKE posted in the Lincoln forum that the QC found problems in a few cars and as a result, all cars produced in that run are placed on hold, pending inspection.

There are 7 items (called campaigns), ranging from leaking A pillars, parts fit and finish, things like that.

Said 99.25% are fold free of any of these problems, but they are still finding that some cars still have quality issues.

Ā 

http://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/560-mkx-order-to-delivery-times/page-9?do=findComment&comment=2639

(Last post).

Edited by enigma-2

Ā 

99% without issue is the good news. 1% may have an issue and of those there are 7 different possible problems. Sounds like the odds are pretty low for getting a leaky a-pillar.

Maybe, but if your car falls into that 1% it's not good news. It would be interesting to know what the daily / weekly production run totals are to figure out what sort of numbers make up that 1%. I suppose if they catch the defects @ the plant it's a "no issue" sort of thing, but if the new owner has to discover it / them it becomes a more significant issue.

Maybe, but if your car falls into that 1% it's not good news. It would be interesting to know what the daily / weekly production run totals are to figure out what sort of numbers make up that 1%. I suppose if they catch the defects @ the plant it's a "no issue" sort of thing, but if the new owner has to discover it / them it becomes a more significant issue.

Ā 

Well of course it is a significant issue for the owner. That would suck.

But I can guarantee that 100% of any batch of any cars rolling off any line are going to be trouble free. Out of any large batch, there will be issues for some owners. Doesn't mean everyone should be worried.

Ā 

Ford sounds like they are being very cautious and making sure when a problem is identified, they will verify that the problem is resolved on every car still on the line or in the holding lot instead of taking a chance.

Ā 

99% without issue is the good news. 1% may have an issue and of those there are 7 different possible problems. Sounds like the odds are pretty low for getting a leaky a-pillar.

Ā 

Ā 

Agree, the odds are very very low. Anybody on this forum with the illusion that there will be no problems needs to realize that perfection is impossible. The key here will be that they ensure no critical or major defects are passed along to the customer and that is why they are being so cautious. I can appreciate that...

Ā 

Ā 

Agree, the odds are very very low. Anybody on this forum with the illusion that there will be no problems needs to realize that perfection is impossible. The key here will be that they ensure no critical or major defects are passed along to the customer and that is why they are being so cautious. I can appreciate that...

Ā 

Me too. And that is why I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when their car isn't delivered in 4-6 weeks like their dealer tells them it should.

• Like 1

If any automotive plant anywhere in the world had 99.25% first-time-through numbers I would be absolutely shocked.

Ā 

My guess would be that only hand built cars would exceed those numbers. Like all big businesses with extensive quality systems; they probably use the AQL method with a defined defect rate. My guess would be .4-.6%, meaning that the whole population will be 99.4-99.6% free of all critical / major defects. Additionally, within the system they rate minor, minor 2, and acceptable imperfections (AI). So the idea is you would evaluate against 0 critical / major defects, X minor / minor 2 defects, and XX AI defects realizing that the potential exists for .4-.6% critical / major defects. There is a lot of math going on to figure this all out, but it works. One thing I did not state is that you must have a representative population to make all of the math work too. I will not get into that, but suffice to say they make enough vehicles that the population portion is not a problem.

I posted my situation in the Welcome Forum yesterday (new to the site). My SEL was ordered in late September. The ETA at dealer kept getting pushed and now I'm told (by the dealer) that the vehicle is still in the processing stage. I understand these things happen in the manufacturing process, especially in mass produced automobiles. It would be nice if Ford could give out a little more detail. I would feel better if I knew more about the why and the when. Patiently waiting. For now.

I don't think the process they use to inspect, repair and release the vehicles really allows more detail. They know it's on hold and waiting to be inspected but I don't think even the Ford plant folks can tell you when a specific vehicle will ship. They don't know where your vehicle is parked in a sea of a few hundred or a few thousand.

Ā 

This is still nowhere near as bad as the Fusion/MKZ launch in late 2012/early 2013. Vehicles were actually shipped to Detroit for repair and it took months.

I don't think the process they use to inspect, repair and release the vehicles really allows more detail. They know it's on hold and waiting to be inspected but I don't think even the Ford plant folks can tell you when a specific vehicle will ship. They don't know where your vehicle is parked in a sea of a few hundred or a few thousand.

Ā 

This is still nowhere near as bad as the Fusion/MKZ launch in late 2012/early 2013. Vehicles were actually shipped to Detroit for repair and it took months.

Ā 

I was not aware of the Fusion issue. I was able to get my 13 Fusion in ~Oct-Nov 2012 and it has been trouble free since. I hope I did not curse myself with that, but it is the truth...

Edited by chicagoslick

I do know someone that works at the Oakville Assembly Plant. I was told that if I place an order now for a 2016 I will not get the vehicle until March.

Ā 

Ā 

The plant cannot keep up with all the orders. I was also told that the plant is waiting on parts from the USA, so the vehicles that are on hold are slowly being released.

Got an update from the dealership. My vehicle won't be delivered until the very end of December. This would bring the total wait time up to 18 weeks...talk about suspense!

When I want a new toy, I want it ASAP. If it is not available ASAP (or within the time frame I agreed to) - I reconsider for another toy.

Ā 

I admire your patience - I would've taken my business elsewhere long time ago!

I want an Edge and it doesn't matter what dealership you order from there is going to be a wait. The 2016's will start being built on December 2nd but don't expect to take delivery in December. The plant is working 24/7 with over time to try to keep up with demand so new orders will take more than the standard 8 week delivery time promised by most dealerships.

Ā 

Ā 

My dealership told me that the delivery time would be about 8 weeks. I think 18 weeks is a tad excessive but there is nothing I can do.

Not until Late December - if that's the case, you would be crazy not to cancel and reorder a 2016

Ā 

I'm in the same boat, waiting since August. It would be nice to reorder 2016 but I'm afraid that would mean losing negotiated at dealership discounts (purchased during "Friends & Family" event). Meanwhile, re-started the search for the new car , whatever comes first.