Tail light Condensation

Update: Dealer replaced "REFLECTOR ASY - REAR" . So far one car wash, no condensation. Part number listed on work order is FT4Z 13A565 B.

I was told (by the receptionist) that this was an upgraded part. So far so good. Will update if things change.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The first dealer I brought mine to never got back to me about replacing them. So I brought it to the dealer that's close to my office this morning to see if they're able to address it. Of course the lenses look fine now but I'll email them photos for proof if they need it. Hopefully they're able to address the fogging and the squeaking seat today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone actually had any luck getting Ford to replace tail light assemblies simply for condensation? Please reply to this if you've tried and what the outcome was...and if the replacement lights also had condensation appear. I've had condensation in almost every car I've owned in the head or tail light housings so I'm wondering if Ford considers it a relevant problem that requires replacement parts. Apart from it being annoying and looking lame, its never caused any further issues for me, not even with light bulb lifespan. I agree that they should be sealed better. I do understand they need to be ventilated, but that can be done using tiny holes placed where water will not easily enter.

Years ago I remember putting silica packets (the ones you get with beef jerky or other hygro-sensitive items) inside the bottom of my tail lens and headlight (no, they never caught fire or were at any such risk) in my Jetta. Never had a problem after the first instance.

• Like 1

My 2016 SEL has this in the center light. There were two vertical cracks in it. I never hit anything. The dealer initially said "it looks like an impact," but they went on to do some kind of investigation involving UV lights. They ordered a new part and are covering it under warranty.

BfQWITS.jpg

oFQsaP8.jpg

Edited by foghelmut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 and had condensation right out of the gate- not pooling-just condensation. I told them to replace the light under NO uncertain circumstances. They said it happens the odd time and it WAS promptly replaced. I would NOT settle for anything else. There is an O ring that seals the outside environment from the inside environment. Your O ring has failed. Tell them to replace it. There should not be anything in there other than air. Insist they replace it. Anything less is just unacceptable!

• Like 2

Restaurants used to hang signs over coat racks that they were not responsible for personal property. My mother's coat was stolen from a rack in the 80's. The lawyer told my dad that just because they hang a sign doesn't make them less responsible. I'm going to hang a sign on my front bumper that says I'm not responsible for running you over.

I was once the proud owner of a 1970 Jaguar XJ6. I was told by the dealer that using 2 quarts of oil for a fill up (both tanks) was normal oil consumption. It seems that he was telling the truth. It still doesn't make it right!! I sold that POS in less than one year of ownership. :wub: My rant is over.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The new part was installed, washed the car a week later, full of water. Our service manager is trying to find a NEW new part - can't get one for two weeks. He tried other dealerships, no one has one available.

Anyone else got water in theirs? Seems odd its so difficult to get the part.

hjqIgiI.jpg

Edited by foghelmut

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We took delivery of a 2017 Ford Edge sport about 2 months ago and are experiencing this problem too. Drivers side tail lamp and center lamp both. At this point the dealership has told us this is normal. I call BS that a 40k vehicle has this kind of crappy construction.

drivers side and center lamp assy

drivers side

drivers side

Drivers side and center lamp assy

Drivers side

Edited by cmphoto
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same issue except the condensation never goes away. We have been traveling all summer and when we were in Arizona we noticed condensation in both tail lights and the strip in between the tail lights. We are now back in Florida, 5 months later and took the car into the dealer as the condensation has gotten worse. The dealer ordered the parts but when they went to get warranty approval we were denied. We are told that Engineering said the condensation will clear up. Well it's been 5 months now, how long do we have to wait for the condensation to clear up. I think Ford needs to get new engineers. The condensation is causing real concern because the condensation is reducing the visability of the tail lights.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first took home my 2016 Fod Edge Sport December of 2016 I noticed that after heavy rain condensation would accumulate in the drivers side rear brake light. Upon visiting the dealer I was told I had to come in when I noticed it despite having pictures of it from various times.

I work nights so it's hard to get to the dealership when it's an issue with something they have to see in person due to the service department not usually opening up until several hours after I get home in the mornings.

This will be something I visit the dealership for to have replaced if I notice it again. Lately it hasn't been an issue?

post-48540-0-93089500-1508456653_thumb.jpg

post-48540-0-58552500-1508456843_thumb.jpg

Edited by GenEDGE