I remember reading the first few posts in this thread thinking, this is going to be a widespread issue. Here it is 100 posts and 10,000 views later.

• Like 1

We took delivery of a 2017 Ford Edge sport about 2 months ago and are experiencing this problem too. Drivers side tail lamp and center lamp both. At this point the dealership has told us this is normal. I call BS that a 40k vehicle has this kind of crappy construction.

drivers side and center lamp assy

drivers side

drivers side

Drivers side and center lamp assy

Drivers side

Edited by cmphoto
  • Like 1

We have the same issue except the condensation never goes away. We have been traveling all summer and when we were in Arizona we noticed condensation in both tail lights and the strip in between the tail lights. We are now back in Florida, 5 months later and took the car into the dealer as the condensation has gotten worse. The dealer ordered the parts but when they went to get warranty approval we were denied. We are told that Engineering said the condensation will clear up. Well it's been 5 months now, how long do we have to wait for the condensation to clear up. I think Ford needs to get new engineers. The condensation is causing real concern because the condensation is reducing the visability of the tail lights.

They will definitely push back on "misting"/"fogging". But they should fix in cases of condensation/water droplets.

My 2015 Edge SEL has had dripping condensation in it for about 1 year now. I've mentioned it to my dealer now 3 times...before my warranty was up, and now I'm at 42k. They say the same thing every time... "It will clear up in the right conditions". This last time I brought it in they said it can't be fixed and that even a replacement won't fix it, I have to live with it.

post-49064-0-81056800-1512676656_thumb.jpg

Edited by rerhart

My 2015 Edge SEL has had dripping condensation in it for about 1 year now. I've mentioned it to my dealer now 3 times...before my warranty was up, and now I'm at 42k. They say the same thing every time... "It will clear up in the right conditions". This last time I brought it in they said it can't be fixed and that even a replacement won't fix it, I have to live with it.

Have you tried a different dealership?

Bought a 2017 Edge Vignale last week with 600 miles on it, after rain and a wash this weekend the lights are fogged with condensation and water droplets, contacted the dealer who said there is a fix for it on Fords system, so took it to my local dealer today and it's been booked in for Friday to have new lights and bar fitted under warranty.

• Like 1

Very pleased with that, for a 40k car you'd expect a good level of service though, very disappointing for others on here who seem to have been told to suck it up.

• Like 1

Thought i'd post an update, my dealer cancelled my original appointment as they were having trouble getting the middle section of the 3 part rear light display, I gave them a week and contacted them again, this time showing much displeasure, they still had no time frame for the middle bar so the car is going in Monday and they are going to fit the new outer lights and a light bar from one of the new vehicles in their inventory, now thats what i call service, cannibalising a new car for parts for me, just hoping the light unit from that car is an updated part if such a thing exists, at least having the work done puts responsibility in their court.

• Like 1

replaced right and left tail lamps twice, center reflector once, all three again showing condensation, took pictures brought to the dealer, they received a reply in less than four hours ? from FORD. here is their reply:

The images provided are very small but we only see normal condensation in both tail lamps and the center deflector. Exterior lamps are vented to the atmosphere to accommodate normal changes in pressure. Condensation can be a natural by-produvt of this design. When humid air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur. This can happen after a vehicle has been driven in the rain, after being washed, or when there is a significant drop in ambient temperature in comparison to normal operating temperature of the lamp after the lamps are turned off.

When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the interior of the lamps lens similar to a windshield fogging in cold/rainy conditions. The thin mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal lamp operation. Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions. These conditions are a natural condensation process and not a defect in the manufacturing of the lamp assembly. THANK YOU FORD. Owning cars for over 56 years not once did any of those cars ever have this problem. An engineering marvel from FORD. Once again THANK YOU FORD. So don't drive your car in the rain, wash it or ever have it in an non-ambient temperature.

Keys213, the reply is clear stating that the images they received are very small, so they made a standard reply.

My feeling is that the dealer is not presenting the case correctly. Maybe they have even installed the older version taillights.

• Like 1

We have the same condensation problem on the lift-gate lens. Have it scheduled to be replaced. Nothing takes it out, when parked in the sun, it doesn't dry out. I started looking at other Edge's in the area and it seems chronic. Already had the windshield replaced twice because of distortion. This lens is a flaw that wasn't remedied up for this generation. The Engineering/QC department at Ford must be napping..!! The response I read here from Ford is unacceptable, this area should be sealed just like the regular taillights!! Gets to be frustrating especially when you pay a good price for a vehicle, can't very well trade in a vehicle with 5,000 miles on it...I don't believe Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc... have Engineers that would not figure this out and fix it, maybe in the future we should look at other makes. We've owned Fords for 30 years and never had this type of thing happen.

I have the same problem with my 2017 Edge which I bought last week (see top pictures below)

I just joined this group today so I could share my findings....

I read all of your above posts (very informative)...but no known fix; dealers useless etc ... deep despair ... however ...
Yesterday I removed the rear trim and the centre lamp assy and retreated to my workshop with it.
On inspection the central (behind Ford badge) connector sealing cap was dettached and I 'think' this was the path in for moisture.
In order to remove the moisture I peeled off 2x blue circular stickers which cover holes at either end of the assy and then blew air into each by rigging up-- i. an electrical inflation pump at one end and ii. the wife's hairdryer at the other (see pictures).
The centre seal which i mentioned above was left off to allow the moist air to vent out.
One hour of this and the lamp was clear of all moisture.
I replaced the 2x blue stickers (they are crap) + some extra tape over them & then reassembled the lamp to the car -- in all 2hrs work -- time will tell if I need to do this again ….

condensation.pdf

post-51198-0-72299100-1534505011_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-82045500-1534505120_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-77268200-1534505150_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-42859100-1534505325_thumb.jpg

Edited by m__________d
  • Like 5

Is it your opinion that the moisture is getting in though these stickers?

Or if through the "vents", why not just dry out the lights and seal the vents with clear silicon sealant?

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

...reporting back after my post 4 days ago.

It didn't work.

The night after my "fix" it rained heavily for a prolonged period of time and when I went out to the car in the morning the lamp was again full of condensation. Damn.

Not one to be easily defeated off it came again and I gave it a good looking at...this time in very bright sunlight.

I spotted something that I missed last time...2x pin holes drilled in the lower outboard corners at each end (see 1st picture).

This is a rework according to me made by the supplier to Ford-- the lamp is marked with a date (june 2016) with a paint-pen which indicates to me the date of the rework.

Also the welding of the lens to the body of the lamp appeared to be incomplete in areas--I think this is the root-cause of the problem...a supplier quality issue...the drilled holes are the half-arsed attempt to let that moisture out. Never gunna work (would love to see the 8D for that)!

So... I again got the condensation out using the same method as before. And then went on to seal the complete lamp up with black silicon (@enigma-2 we're on the same wavelength I think).

I completely sealed it all round (pics attached) and replaced the blue stickers with something more substantial.

After I had done this I took the car for a jet-wash and whilst I went easy around the lamp there was later evidence of condensation again. This could be some residual stuff from before my rework and it went away after a bit of sun.

I'm keeping an eye on this....but in any case I don't know what to do next if its still not fixed.

As an aside I relocated the rubber seal between the lamp and the screen. Having looked at it I do not believe it was designed to be fitted under-flush to the lamp/screen assy. The profile suggests it should be fitted the way I have (again a pic below). Debatable whether it looks worse than the original build...but it will certainly keep more moisture away like this.

post-51198-0-85542400-1534748674_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-04089500-1534748686_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-28100500-1534748696_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-96651500-1534748709_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-98638600-1534748722_thumb.jpg

post-51198-0-94717400-1534749162_thumb.jpg

Edited by m__________d
  • Like 1

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge and there was condensation in the back taillight bar.  The salesman told us that was perfectly normal and that all taillights did this.  I had never had a vehicle with the back light across the lift gate, so I did not know for sure, but I thought that was probably BS.

44 minutes ago, Sharshep said:

I just purchased a 2016 Ford Edge and there was condensation in the back taillight bar.  The salesman told us that was perfectly normal and that all taillights did this.  I had never had a vehicle with the back light across the lift gate, so I did not know for sure, but I thought that was probably BS.

Unfortunately this is a normal occurrence.  The condensation should go away. If it doesn't and, or there is an abnormal amount the taillight bar may have to be replaced.   Depending on your in service date or mileage it may be covered under warranty.

Haha, its a normal occurrence with these Edges alright, but its not supposed to happen.

Ours had been replaced twice, and we went a good 1.5 years without it failing, but we got condensation again.  Time to go back before I run out of warranty.

Just clarification - we get some hazy condensation now, which is a lot better than the original one that was filling with water like an aquarium.

Edited by foghelmut

It is supposed to happen, its a natural occurence. Its not supposed to form into a bath tub though. 

I got rid of my Edge. Ford wouldn't replace it. Water was swishing around in it, not a lot, but enough to settle and move around. I hated the look of this so called normal occurrence. Glad they changed it on the new ones tho.

3 hours ago, rerhart said:

I got rid of my Edge. Ford wouldn't replace it. Water was swishing around in it, not a lot, but enough to settle and move around. I hated the look of this so called normal occurrence. Glad they changed it on the new ones tho.

Is it known if the 2019's have this issue?