Jump to content

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Chipster said:

Is it known if the 2019's have this issue?

 

The 2019's do not have the light bar. Only time will tell if the 2019's will develop condensation.   Ironically enough Lincoln's version of the edge, The MKX and the Nautilus have light bars across the back. I don't think I have ever heard of a single issue with the Lincoln counterparts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I HAVE 2019 Edge SEL 2 months

rain and snow no issue

i had one issue only 

after 3 day horn stop work

?????

and little annoying software with sink

need turn auto update out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an 08 MKX in January and it has this problem. I hand washed it a week ago and it still has condensation in, It didn't seem as bad when I first got it but the temps have been wacky for a few weeks now. We had a day last week that reached a high of 65 and down to 27 at night. most days have been cloudy and temps below normal which isn't any help. I'm glad I found this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a 2015 Edge Titanium, the condensation is in my middle light bar. I am out of my the factory bumper to bumper warranty so I doubt they will replace this for me. Has anyone thought of taking a small drill and drilling a small hole on the bottom for the water to drain/vent out of? 

41F2F60E-2885-4D45-9BF5-E3FA494E63C9.jpeg

Edited by Gunnar82495

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See now that is how my Edge looks when I get out of a power car was like Delta Sonic. Usually dries up everywhere except for the down pocket of the bar, where the reverse lights are. That is where i think i want to drill a hole on the side to keep let that water either drain or actually vent out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

I own a 2915 Edge Titanium, Has anyone thought of taking a small drill and drilling a small hole on the bottom for the water to drain / vent out of? 

 


Based on comments in this and other forums/groups that's a fairly common fix.  Our owner's manual mentions that the light housings are vented but someone in engineering didn't get this one quite right for very humid places and areas with rapid temperature changes.  It's my understanding that drilling several small holes in the bottom of the housing helps.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it makes sense to me. Growing up my old sister had a cheap Pontiac as her first car (was my grandmothers, then grandfathers, then her car) and her passenger side rear tail light always had water and condensation in it. I would love watching her park the car to see how much water would swish around on the inside of the taillight housing. I remember my dad taking his power drill and drilling 2 pr 3 small little holes and the water came out and she never had the condensation or water pooling. I am just afraid that if I open up a whole that can also allow water to get directly in would this be causing more potential damage to the LED's? I have a light-up ring for my taillights since its the Titanium trim. Or would the water that keeps getting trapped in there and pooling going to cause just as much harm? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

Or would the water that keeps getting trapped in there and pooling going to cause just as much harm?

 

Drilling holes will help get the water out, but not fix the source. In my opinion, if you are trying to find a solution, try to find where the water is coming inside. Maybe it is the seal around the housing where the front and back parts meat. I also remember that in the procedure for installing the light bar, there was a note on the sequence for torquing the bolts to avoid damage, might also be worth looking into if they were not tightened correctly and caused a crack somewhere.

 

Edit: Attached the procedure.

Reversing Lamp RI.pdf

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem since new with all three , both tail lights and light bar on the tail gate ! Does anyone have a ruby red edge with pictures of condensation on the passenger side!

They will not replace my passenger tail light without a picture of it with condensation! The pictures they had were lost in the system and I now have to wait for a rainy day to get a

new picture ! Thank u in advance !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, Gadgetjq said:


Based on comments in this and other forums/groups that's a fairly common fix.  Our owner's manual mentions that the light housings are vented but someone in engineering didn't get this one quite right for very humid places and areas with rapid temperature changes.  It's my understanding that drilling several small holes in the bottom of the housing helps.

 

Would this not void the warranty because it is covered under warranty don’t them fool u into thinking it’s not! Ford Canada has already approved mine under warranty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Edgesport18 said:

Would this not void the warranty because it is covered under warranty don’t them fool u into thinking it’s not! Ford Canada has already approved mine under warranty 


Sure it would.  If a product is still covered by warranty whether it's a tail light or a toaster it'd be foolish for an owner to do their own modification.  Once outside the factory 3/36 warranty though it's time for some very careful reading of an extended policy (if purchased) or a little bit of do-it-yourself handiwork.  Isn't this one of those 'needless to say' items?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:


Sure it would.  If a product is still covered by warranty whether it's a tail light or a toaster it'd be foolish for an owner to do their own modification.  Once outside the factory 3/36 warranty though it's time for some very careful reading of an extended policy (if purchased) or a little bit of do-it-yourself handiwork.  Isn't this one of those 'needless to say' items?

 

There are a couple of scenarios where it wouldn't hurt to do it even under warranty - if the mfr refuses to consider it a defect and refuses to replace it or the replacement parts have exactly the same issue.  In that case I would just do the modification and not worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgesport18 said:

I have the same problem since new with all three , both tail lights and light bar on the tail gate ! Does anyone have a ruby red edge with pictures of condensation on the passenger side!

They will not replace my passenger tail light without a picture of it with condensation! The pictures they had were lost in the system and I now have to wait for a rainy day to get a

new picture ! Thank u in advance !

 

Are you kidding me.... wow thats awfully convenient of them....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edgesport18 said:

The pictures they had were lost in the system and I now have to wait for a rainy day to get a

new picture ! Thank u in advance !

 

Car wash?  Hose?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya well of course that’s not working now but it will eventually happen again I just didn’t want to wait forever to send the pictures to get my part ‘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, Edgesport18 said:

Ya well of course that’s not working now but it will eventually happen again I just didn’t want to wait forever to send the pictures to get my part ‘


Actually it sounds like the right side light is working as designed.  As your manual tells you some condensation is normal and will eventually clear itself.   What 'isn't normal are heavy droplets of water or a sloshing puddle in the bottom of the assembly.  Perhaps only your left and center housings need replacement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got severe tail light and trunk light bar condensation with water collecting on the bottom, and have had it since a bought my 2015 Edge Titanium used at the Ford dealer with 32,000 miles. Of course I bought the extended Ford bumper to bumper warranty taking it to 100,000 miles.. ..AND THE PROBLEM IS NOT COVERED!!! My son-in-law who is a Ford mechanic and was a service advisor when that year Edge came out in 2014 said that it's a big issue and Ford HQ said to put folks off saying it is not a safety issue. Once past 32,00 miles they tell you politely to go blow smoke. My guy said to take off the light bar (youtube has several videos on it) and try blowing air thru it with a shop vac until it clears. Then put clear silicone on the defective thin rubber gasket which is causing all the problems. Other than that, I may disconnect the electricity to the light bar to see if that helps. It drives me nuts to think that Ford won't deal with the defect. I plan to get something other that a ford next time because of it. I hope everyone else will do the same. I've written to my Congressman to see if he would take it to the NTSB. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-lTpmqCkY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we've had this 2016 Edge for 10 days now.  Getting tired of looking at the condensation in the tailgate light bar, like everyone else.  And actually water puddles at each lower corner of the light bar.

 

So today I used a 1/8 inch drill bit to put a hole at the left and right lower corners of the light bar.  The water puddle came running out.

Now I'll wait and see if the condensation dries up before it freezes in there next week as the cold weather hits us.

 

G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you can help it along a little.  I'm thinking a toilet paper tube taped over one of the holes then a hair dryer running on low and cool taped to the other end of the tube.  Even a little airflow will help with evaporation.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this to the top to see if anyone has figured out a solution.  I'm out of factory bumper to bumper and it's not covered under my extended warranty.  I'm not against drilling some drain holes!

Edited by 16silversport
speeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 16silversport said:

Bumping this to the top to see if anyone has figured out a solution.

 

Yes.  It's the same solution posted in this thread.  A member of the MacT Edge group posted pictures and (in another message) declared success.  Here's a link (you might have to join the group if you haven't already): https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/permalink/884667688596254/

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

 

Yes.  It's the same solution posted in this thread.  A member of the MacT Edge group posted pictures and (in another message) declared success.  Here's a link (you might have to join the group if you haven't already): https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/permalink/884667688596254/

 

 

 

Yup need to join.  Sent a request. Short and sweet details of the fix?  Drill holes?  I was thinking about a few holes on the side, letting it dry out and covering the holes until next time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m willing to try it before I replace it.  The taillight portion is now dead. The Ford deAler and their online parts want about 800.00 to replace it.  I’m searching online for right one OEM used for my 2016  Titanium , which are still pricey used., and you have to be careful to get the correct led one. This happened after warranty of course, but it’s a certified 100k car. Only real trouble actually , compared my old vw it’s been great,.

Edited by MikeOly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just bought an 2020 edge sel yesterday, woke up this morning and had condensation in the right tail light, salesman said the have vents in them, i think BS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×