Tail light Condensation

I'm not an automotive design engineer, but I do know that they generally design headlights and taillights with vents to allow for the air inside the housings to escape when it gets heated up. If they "sealed up" the housings like many of you are suggesting they should do, then the air inside the housings will have nowhere to go when it expands (or contracts when cooled). Eventually, that would probably cause the housing to crack. Then you would have a much larger issue.

My suggestion would be to find where the lights vent from and simply avoid spraying water directly in that area. If you spray water above the lights and let the water run down (like rain), you will probably avoid getting as much water in the lights as you are.

• Like 1

My hope that it is a seal is because that can be fixed pretty easily. If the vents are improperly placed however, there is a real problem. May be resolved by sealing the old vents and drilling new ones elsewhere/in another direction. Ford didn't have to design the Edge for submersion, but surely to withstand the rain that landlubbers can expect to get!

Has nothing to do with our light bars. No bulbs, no gaskets. Manufacturing flaw, that's it.

When you took off your old tail lenses you didn’t replace the little rubber/foam gasket that seals the hole that the bulb twists into. Through years of abuse, your old gasket just wasn’t up to the task of sealing against a new surface. You sealed (ha-ha) its fate when you washed your truck and poured water all over your new tail lights. That water found its way past that opening and into your tail lenses. This phenomenon actually happens all the time with your stock tail lights and it has a name: Fishbowl Syndrome.

There is a small rubber or foam gasket on your bulb socket. When you push your bulbs into the housing and twist them down, that gasket is compressed and seals the opening. This eliminates any water from entering your tail lights. This little gasket is often overlooked when installing new tail lenses. Once your stock gasket has been compressed for a while, it doesn’t spring back as much and won’t seal against a new surface.

From the manual:

Condensation in Lamp Assemblies

Exterior lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.

Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.

Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.

Examples of acceptable condensation are:

The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).

A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

Examples of unacceptable condensation are:

A water puddle inside the lamp.

Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.

If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell for sure as I have new part# but not old one.

But considering the fact that part ends with B it could be a newer version, same as with weatherstrip.

IMG_20151111_094944.jpg

On the other hand A version of a light bar could be non lit (for SE/SEL), and A version of weatherstrip could be a chrome type (non-Sport).

Edited by Vadimus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I thought I could remove it and dry it out, but it's a one piece sealed unit. Can't remove a bulb to open and dry it out. Can't see where water can get in. Tried a vacuum and air compressor, but couldn't get the water to move. Only tipping it on it's end will get the water to move back and forth. I guess I'll take it to the dealer and ask them to "fix" it.post-38877-0-49025000-1449788796_thumb.jpgpost-38877-0-81156800-1449788815_thumb.jpgpost-38877-0-27854500-1449788831_thumb.jpg