AWD or FWD?

Help me out on this: There was once a concern about having to replace all of the tires on an AWD vehicle if one of them were damaged past the point of a repair and there would be (not sure of the actual number) say more than 3/16" in dia. between the new tire and the old ones. I seem to remember reading that even slight differences in tire diameter causes the car's computer and drive-train to do things that would harm the drive line. Is this still true today? If this is true, that would be a big financial hit if it were to happen.

Help me out on this: There was once a concern about having to replace all of the tires on an AWD vehicle if one of them were damaged past the point of a repair and there would be (not sure of the actual number) say more than 3/16" in dia. between the new tire and the old ones. I seem to remember reading that even slight differences in tire diameter causes the car's computer and drive-train to do things that would harm the drive line. Is this still true today? If this is true, that would be a big financial hit if it were to happen.

Yes, you do need to keep your tires within 3/16" front to back, or you do risk damaging Ford's Power Takeoff Unit. I recently had an issue where my PTU had a sever leak (2011 Fusion Sport 53,000 miles with a previous warranty claim on it), and a dealer tried to void my powertrain warranty based on the tires. Luckily, I had it towed to another dealer, who measured my tread depth (it was in spec), and determined the severe leak was the problem, not a tire issue.

• 4 months later...

just picked up a sport with FWD here in northern california. I'm really regretting not getting an AWD one. the Sport 2.7 makes so much power that im constantly feeling torque steer. If im not heavy on the gas, its fine. But this motor begs to be driven hard. The Edge Sport is my wifes car so its not that huge of a deal, because shes none the wiser.

However, anyone considering an edge sport an planning on driving it in a sporty manner, Id highly recommend going with the AWD (regardless of what kind of weather you live in)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I rented ford fusion and it was FWD and had wheelspin on wet junction with traffic lights (when you start on green you can feel it has a little wheelspin)

When I drive my subaru which is all the time AWD I can really tell it's AWD since I never had wheelspin on wet after rain roads.