2015 Ford Edge Engines: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know

Chipster

To: POWERSTROKE, boilerhawk14, WWWPerfA_ZNOW and Chipster,

I still vividly remember my first new car, a 1965 Oldsmobile 442. I loved that car, and the whiplash I got when I floored it..... and loved going through all four gears. But now I'm 76 years old, and don't have the reflexes to put the pedal to the metal. (Except to pass a little old lady.) Now I just need a good, sensible engine..... that might give better fuel mileage. So I'd just about decided to go with the 2.0 Ecoburst when I order my 2016 AWD Titanium. But you guys have kinda confused me with your boosting the 3.5. Just from reading the forum makes me tend to value your judgements. So, would you guys recommend the 3.5 over the 2.0 for a large old man to drive to coffee with the guys, with occasional trips to Iowa to see the grandkids.... and a car to maybe last the rest of my life? (Man, does that ever put the pressure on you!)

• Like 1

The legendary 442! When value was measured in smiles, not miles.

Ā 

The 3.5 is "old tech", it's not Direct Injected, it's not turbocharged, etc. But it IS historically reliable. If you keep your foot out of it, it will return pretty decent mileage as well. I wish they had put in Active Grille Shutters with the 3.5, but it appears not. That would have shortened warmup time for shorter trips.

Ā 

The only problem I have with the 2015 version is that the Edge can cut off quite suddenly (has happened to at least 2 forum members), and am not sure there is a confirmed resolution for that as of yet.

• Like 1

Ā 

...The only problem I have with the 2015 version is that the Edge can cut off quite suddenly (has happened to at least 2 forum members), and am not sure there is a confirmed resolution for that as of yet.

I bet that it (like in other Ford vehicles) is a Throttle Body and re-flash issue. My wife's 2010 Fusion had a TSB issued for the throttle body replacement and re-flash. Before the TB was replaced the vehicle showed the exact same symptoms of stalling in traffic and scaring the heck out of the driver. After the fix the problem went away.

Ā 

Jack; I am not quite as old as you, but my uses for the Edge will include hauling my canoe to the local river, light around the house hauling and other such duties. I do fully expect, and hope that this will be my last truck like purchase. I got 20 good years out of my Blazer 4 X 4 and hope to get the same service life out of the Edge. This is why I am leaning towards the 3.5.

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

To: POWERSTROKE, boilerhawk14, WWWPerfA_ZNOW and Chipster,

I still vividly remember my first new car, a 1965 Oldsmobile 442. I loved that car, and the whiplash I got when I floored it..... and loved going through all four gears. But now I'm 76 years old, and don't have the reflexes to put the pedal to the metal. (Except to pass a little old lady.) Now I just need a good, sensible engine..... that might give better fuel mileage. So I'd just about decided to go with the 2.0 Ecoburst when I order my 2016 AWD Titanium. But you guys have kinda confused me with your boosting the 3.5. Just from reading the forum makes me tend to value your judgements. So, would you guys recommend the 3.5 over the 2.0 for a large old man to drive to coffee with the guys, with occasional trips to Iowa to see the grandkids.... and a car to maybe last the rest of my life? (Man, does that ever put the pressure on you!)

Ā 

Yes, I would definitely recommend the 3.5 over any of the EcoBoosts because (from my test driving experiences) it was the smoothest shifting engine of the selection. For perspective, I'm 25 years old and I prefer the smoother ride as well. After all, the Edge is an SUV and not a Tesla or a Ferrari! lol

Ā 

Ā 

I wish they had put in Active Grille Shutters with the 3.5, but it appears not. That would have shortened warmup time for shorter trips.

Ā 

Since the 3.5 is a V6 and a larger engine, it will warm up just fine on its own. The little 2.0L I4 needs a little help so it gets the shutters.

The longer it takes the engine to warm up, the more fuel economy suffers, doesn't it? Those quick trips around town become very fuel-expensive.

Ā 

Which is why it is recommended that when possible, you should plan to go to multiple places each time you go out and you start with the furthest place first to get the engine up to prime operating temperature.

Not always possible :) Ideal, but ... It is a useful feature the Edge would benefit from, pure & simple. All that work done to reduce breakin time, reduce startup wear, etc. and yet, a relatively simple feature like this does not get implemented.

Ā 

They could also come up with a thermally insulated degas bottle for the Edge, much like the hybrids, to help speed warmup time.