New Sync Version (Gen2 - V3.8)

I installed the update and the only thing I noticed initially was loss of previous and favorite navigation destination. No biggie. However..... a new issue came to pass immediately. I'm still using an old Msoft Zune with podcasts on it. About half the time with a vehicle start, MFT re-indexes the player and I lose my place in whatever podcast I was listening to. With the slow FF function, it takes an unacceptable amount of time to get to the one hour mark of a two hour podcast. Also, after the re-indexing, the system immediately starts playing whatever podcast is indexed first. Customer support suggested I master reset both MFT and do a power off/on reset of the media player. Didn't seem to make any difference. If I had known what was "improved" about 3.8, I would have left the system as is, since you can't go back.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not check with the dealer? They can do the update or, if you bring a thumb drive and your car is a candidate, maybe they will copy it to your drive?

My local dealership will say that v3.5 is the latest version available for my 2011 Edge with nav. however I've already successfully installed v3.6.2 by manually downloading it. As such, the dealership will not likely help me to get v3.8 :(.

Is there any way to direct download the MFT update? I need the update for Gen2 v3.8 for a 2011 Edge with nav however it is not available for me to download on the Ford owners site.

If there's no direct download option, can someone please share it with me?

Thanks!!!

Did you report the install of V3.6.2? if not, try that first.

SweetCandyEdge...I had the same problem and Shay from IVT requested I run a vehicle health report then check back. It still didn't work for me so she suggested I go to the dealer to get it installed since they know about some VIN's being problematic. My problem is I went to the dealer who told me it was up to date at 3.4 (turned out to be nav version) and sent me on my way. Unfortunately they totally wiped the system so everything was messed up and I had no navigation for at least 30 minutes. I contacted Shay again, she got me in touch with someone at Ford that explained the situation to the dealer and they told me to set another appointment. This time the dealer said the server was down but even if it was up they couldn't do the update without charging $150 since Ford won't cover it....even though Ford said they would. This time when I left, everything was wiped again but the nav seemed OK, its position was a little off but this appears to be normal for this crappy system. Other than that the system was OK for about 10 minutes, then the entertainment screen completely stopped responding to input. It would beep but not change anything. About an hour later it started to work again but there is something wrong with this system other than just software that has NEVER been addressed. Oddly enough when I got home that night the SMR site was working and shows the update as available now. I sent another message to Shay last week telling her my frustrations with Ford and the dealer plus my concern that if I install the software and I continue to have problems the dealer will just blame my install but there is clearly something wrong with this system. I have already paid once to have Ford diagnose the system only to be told it is fine but I have videos that prove otherwise. It is a week later and still no response from Shay. This is my first Ford and likely last...this ownership experience has been nothing but headaches and passing of the buck. Ford says it is the dealer and the dealer says it is Ford. In the end it leaves their customers stranded. Good luck!

SweetCandyEdge...I had the same problem and Shay from IVT requested I run a vehicle health report then check back. It still didn't work for me so she suggested I go to the dealer to get it installed since they know about some VIN's being problematic. My problem is I went to the dealer who told me it was up to date at 3.4 (turned out to be nav version) and sent me on my way. Unfortunately they totally wiped the system so everything was messed up and I had no navigation for at least 30 minutes. I contacted Shay again, she got me in touch with someone at Ford that explained the situation to the dealer and they told me to set another appointment. This time the dealer said the server was down but even if it was up they couldn't do the update without charging $150 since Ford won't cover it....even though Ford said they would. This time when I left, everything was wiped again but the nav seemed OK, its position was a little off but this appears to be normal for this crappy system. Other than that the system was OK for about 10 minutes, then the entertainment screen completely stopped responding to input. It would beep but not change anything. About an hour later it started to work again but there is something wrong with this system other than just software that has NEVER been addressed. Oddly enough when I got home that night the SMR site was working and shows the update as available now. I sent another message to Shay last week telling her my frustrations with Ford and the dealer plus my concern that if I install the software and I continue to have problems the dealer will just blame my install but there is clearly something wrong with this system. I have already paid once to have Ford diagnose the system only to be told it is fine but I have videos that prove otherwise. It is a week later and still no response from Shay. This is my first Ford and likely last...this ownership experience has been nothing but headaches and passing of the buck. Ford says it is the dealer and the dealer says it is Ford. In the end it leaves their customers stranded. Good luck!

Yikes! I hope it doesn't get that bad for me. I really just need someone to provide the v3.8 update for a 2011 Edge with nav and I think it will be okay... the same process worked for me for v3.6.2.

1st thing ESCALATE and open a case number. Requested a regional rep. if another dealer around, request another dealer takes up your case due to the service issues. Push till the end with a positive resolve. Do not stop there. You should NOT pay. Definitely after misinformation & mistakes. Trust me and others... patient Persistence will prevail and PLEASE ask for something for your trouble. Ford has complied in past.

After the update it seems that my Sirius radio seems to cut out whenever I go through an underpass. I can't recall if it happened prior to the update, but I really don't think so. I know it may seem trivial but I'm on the highway 2-3 times a day and it's annoying.

Edited by onyxbfly

After updating my 2011 EDGE to v3.8 I am now sorry I did. I have Android phone.

With v3.6.2, when I asked Google for directions, the audio was coming from the phone speakers UNLESS I was streaming via bluetooth.

With v3.8, I noticed there was no sound. I thought it was the phone's issue. But no, apparently now even if I listen to music from USB or radio, phone's audio is directed to car (again, previously is was directed to car audio ONLY when when BT Streaming was selected in MFT).

It's not bad...unless the volume is extremely low. I cannot hear anything at all. My media volume on the phone is at max.

I noticed that modifying Voice volume in MFT will increase the sound volume coming from the phone but it also increases the volume of the car prompts and the prompts become TOO loud if I want to hear the phone. If it could unpair the phone notification volume from in-car prompts (Voice Control) volume...

I believe a Sirius/XM receiver will buffer for a few seconds, so beyond that, no signal no sound. I go through a ¼mile tunnel and I used to check how far in the satellite signal would cut out, and it varies, not by much but it does.

Now for yours to cut simply going under an overpass is abnormal from my own experience. On the other hand, I would be surprised the update was the cause.

After updating my 2011 EDGE to v3.8 I am now sorry I did. I have Android phone.

With v3.6.2, when I asked Google for directions, the audio was coming from the phone speakers UNLESS I was streaming via bluetooth.

With v3.8, I noticed there was no sound. I thought it was the phone's issue. But no, apparently now even if I listen to music from USB or radio, phone's audio is directed to car (again, previously is was directed to car audio ONLY when when BT Streaming was selected in MFT).

It's not bad...unless the volume is extremely low. I cannot hear anything at all. My media volume on the phone is at max.

I noticed that modifying Voice volume in MFT will increase the sound volume coming from the phone but it also increases the volume of the car prompts and the prompts become TOO loud if I want to hear the phone. If it could unpair the phone notification volume from in-car prompts (Voice Control) volume...

I remember it was always like this, whenever the phone is connected, the audio from my HTC does not come over it's speakers, which is annoying, since I don't stream Bluetooth audio I just disable it from the phone to get notifications from the phone's speakers. You can also check google Maps' navigation settings. There is a setting to Play voice over Bluetooth added not long ago, uncheck it & try. Also the volume can be adjusted there.

I believe a Sirius/XM receiver will buffer for a few seconds, so beyond that, no signal no sound. I go through a ¼mile tunnel and I used to check how far in the satellite signal would cut out, and it varies, not by much but it does.

Now for yours to cut simply going under an overpass is abnormal from my own experience. On the other hand, I would be surprised the update was the cause.

Just for shit and giggles I decided to drive to my friends house in SW Philly and back to see if I was going crazy. Cutting out would be an exaggeration but not large by far. At this rate I'm not sure cut out is the right term. You're right it does seem to buffer for a few seconds.

Since you used a mile as reference I'll go with that. In Philadelphia a mile is 10 blocks long. Which I'm sure doesn't really give a point of reference as I'm sure the number of blocks = 1 mile ration differs by location.

The underpasses I am referring to are less than a block. One of the bridges I cross is a open bridge That is 1.7 miles long. I thought It was about 4 miles. Sitting in traffic can warp one's sense of perspective. The bridge is cantilever with two levels. On the top level it doesn't cut out but the bottom level it cuts out about a qt of a mile give or take.

I have seen where it says no signal right after it cuts out. I get what your saying about a tunnel, but this bridge is open on both sides. Reg AM/FM radio doesn't cut out on the bridge or going under overpasses.

I think it may be related to the update is because the update, upgrades/ replaces the MFT/ radio firmware. The only thing i have done was install the series 100 antenna and remote start and prior to that I had the battery replaced by Ford.

The issue was prevalent prior to antenna install, and I'm pretty sure it was there prior to the battery install. You may be right. Since I seem to be the only person with this issue it could be completely unrelated to the update.

Just trying to narrow down what may cause the issue before taking it into the dealership.