Headliner Overhead Rattle - Vista Roof

Rextang

Yes - I just got a 2016 30 days ago and mine also has the same issue. I have noticed though that if the roof is subject to sun and temperatures over 55 degrees it does not make the noise. Made the noise all day yesterday and we took the car out today and NOTHING!. I had an appointment last week with a dealer (temp was over 55) and the way there it did not make the rattle/creaking noise. So I just cancelled the appointment. I think I am going to wait for a TSB to come out as well.

Angela,I had the exact same issue, at over 50 the noise went away. I had my in and out of the dealer for 5 months, last time for 3 weeks, it is a '15 and within 2 weeks after purchase it made the noise. Mine needed spot welding in the "a" pillar (where the pillar meets the roof). The noise was a spot the size of a flat toothpick that was not welded, so the paint was rubbing together when cold. When over 50 the metal expanded enough not to make the noise. My best advise is to be persistent with your dealer and contact Ford or BBB to resolve the issue. This is what I did and so far so good, no noise. I do sometimes have another noise, which is an actual magnet out of place, as the magnet can be moved and the noise stops. But your issue sounds exactly like my struggle. If there is anything I can help you with let me know, as I know the frustration with this issue.

Edited by Nono

Yes - I just got a 2016 30 days ago and mine also has the same issue. I have noticed though that if the roof is subject to sun and temperatures over 55 degrees it does not make the noise. Made the noise all day yesterday and we took the car out today and NOTHING!. I had an appointment last week with a dealer (temp was over 55) and the way there it did not make the rattle/creaking noise. So I just cancelled the appointment. I think I am going to wait for a TSB to come out as well.

Ugh, still problems on the 2016? Well, hopefully the figure it out soon (but doesn't sound like it since the 2015 have the same issue). That would drive me crazy. My '05 Equinox is finally making a noise after all these years, but I think it's the front tweeter either lose or dying.

Drives me crazy every time I get in the car. Will have to analyze it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how does a "non Ford employee" person get a hold of the TSB's that apply to their vehicle?

This should be public, maybe not the solution service part but at least the stated issue.

And the chances of asking a busy Ford service guy for the TSB's are slim.

The NHTSA site is the best way for the public to get a "free" hold of the TSB summaries that I know of.

Thanks! I looked up NHSTA. Unfortunately, it didn't have STB16-0053, yet. I guess it may take some time between Ford issuing a TSB and NHTSA posting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine back from the dealer on Friday. They said the fixed it, gave me no indication as to what was even done. Got on the road....and shocker it's not fixed. I called and made another appointment, but now I am thinking I need another dealers advice.

Maybe you have advice.. The sound is on the driver side, above my head. I think it's more like a creak than a rattle. Happens with the sun shade closed/open and with the roof window closed/open. Sounds like it's between the roof and driver side window, something with the vista roof harness? I get the noise anytime I hit a bump or the car shocks need to come into play. I tried pressing and pulling all I could but I think it's all in the headliner.

I really want to love this car but it's so hard with this annoying noise.

Have you got the issue fixed?

Talked to my service adviser a few days ago, he checked to see if there was anything new from when the Ford Engineers came in and checked out the other two that have the same problem that my dealer is handling, so far nothing on a fix, but he did originally say it could take up to six weeks or so. I am not even taking mine back until something more comes in from the engineers. The original fix for the problem, that did not work for me or the other two, was to re-weld a bracket for the moonroof. As soon as I hear something, I will post it.

Mine is at the shop now been there all week, I dropped it of before I went on vacation so they could take their time. Dealer called yesterday said they had a TSB on it and sent it to the body shop to have a some metal bent over. I'm assuming that's the same as others have described that did not work. I pick it up on Monday when I return, I'll let you know.

Mine is going back in tomorrow, the dealer said they would have it at least three days. They also said that they have done this repair to 3 others so far, and have had positive results, so I am hoping this is it.

Doug what repair are they having success with? they did the metal bend on mine and it did not work plus they got my headliner dirty all over it from the service techs hands when he was reinstalling it. Going back tomorrow so they can clean it.

I assume it is the newest repair TSB that was mentioned earlier (16-0053). When I asked my service advisor about the TSB when I dropped it off, he just said it involved doing more welding, he didn't say anything about bending metal. They still have my car, and I am planning on calling Monday and see how things are going. Once I get it back I'll report in with what they did.

Well, so much for that TSB fixing my rattle. Went to the dealer today to pick up my Edge and the service manager took me out for a ride in it to show me there were no more rattles, but guess what, it started rattling again. He said yesterday they took it out twice over the same bumpy road he took me on, and it was perfectly quiet. Needless to say, I left it there for them to tear it apart again, (4th time). I think it might be time for me to talk to Ford directly now, about this.

In colder weather (-10°C to 0°C), I coud here the rattle every time it seems. Since it's now warmer, I rarely hear the rattle. Mine is in the shop now so I'm a bit anxious that they won't hear the rattle. Anyway, I'll let you know how it turned out.

That's strange, because I think mine rattles more when it is warmer. My dealer just called me and said they drove it several times today, over the same roads as yesterday, but it did not rattle at all. It is about 20 degrees cooler today than yesterday here. He also told me that the Ford engineers will probably be coming in again, but not until next week. Oh boy, I get to drive this Fusion loaner even longer. :(

This is getting ridiculous my is rattling just like before now I'm hearing other rattles, or it could just be in my head. I swear it's the whole headliner now. On a side note I was driving the other day and talking on the phone through the blue tooth and its vibrating in the center console sometimes. I thought that was something inside the console so I took everything out still vibrating when people speak. This is new as I have a long commute and use the time to call people, it's never done this before. I starting to think this thing is just be one constant rattle trap.

Got my Edge back after 1½ days. They did TSB16-0053. Just to be sure, I asked them what was the procedure exactly. They mentioned using some short screws and the rest was unclear. So, can someone post TSB16-0053? On the short drive back home, no rattle.

They also did TSB15-0166 (cooled seats). I still have to check that one out when it gets warmer.

Yeah, that sounds like what my dealer said they did when I asked. The service manager said they installed some screws, (even though when I dropped it off the service adviser said more welding was going to be done), but of course the screws didn't work on mine.

Edited by DougS

So, my service advisor got a hold of me this morning, he said Ford just issued a new TSB yesterday for the roof rattle. They have sent my Edge back to the body shop to perform this new one. He didn't say the number, or what was going to be done. I'll update once I get something else.

• Like 1