USB Sync Difficulties

Hey everyone! I just bought a used 2010 Edge Limited about a week ago, and I need some help regarding the Sync and using a USB for music (didn't come with a manual and searching didn't turn up any concrete answers).

Whenever I turn the car on it automatically syncs to my phone, which is fine and all, but it also automatically plays the music on it. I have a USB with about 550 songs on it that I want to be the default music source. I plugged it in yet the car won't recognize it, it's not even an option via the menu. They're all mp3's and the files are all valid. I'm not sure if there's some weird limit on how big of a folder the system can read (had to limit folders to 100 songs each on an older Kenwood receiver I had in another car)?

Basically what I want to do is have the car play the music from the USB by default, but still be synced to my phone for calls. How can I make that happen?

Thanks in advance! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Gstam, I'm running into similar problem as yours. The usb flash I had in was working for about 2 weeks and then one day its no longer working. I only have like 12 songs on a 2 Gig flash drive and I know its formatted as FAT32. All I see on display is "sync line in" when i insert the usb and thats it. It used to play the song automatically and show the name of song while playing it but not anymore!

:headscratch:

Hi Gstam, I'm running into similar problem as yours. The usb flash I had in was working for about 2 weeks and then one day its no longer working. I only have like 12 songs on a 2 Gig flash drive and I know its formatted as FAT32. All I see on display is "sync line in" when i insert the usb and thats it. It used to play the song automatically and show the name of song while playing it but not anymore!

try unhooking the battery and plug it back in. seems to solve a lot of sync issues

Hi fe2102,

Are you able to change the music source manually? When you see SYNC LINE IN, select MENU>SELECT SOURCE>USB.

Let me know if this works.

Shaay

Hi fe2102,

Are you able to change the music source manually? When you see SYNC LINE IN, select MENU>SELECT SOURCE>USB.

Let me know if this works.

Shaay

Hi Shaay, Thanks for the response. First let me say that mine is only the base model (SE) and I dont recall seeing source after selecting menu. I dont think I have the voice activated sync either but I will try doing what Nick said and let you know.

Thanks again.

Hi Shaay, Thanks for the response. First let me say that mine is only the base model (SE) and I dont recall seeing source after selecting menu. I dont think I have the voice activated sync either but I will try doing what Nick said and let you know.

Thanks again.

The instructions I provided is for the basic SYNC system. You have to use the ARROW key or VOLUME knob to scroll to SELECT SOURCE. If this does not work, I recommend trying a master reset: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync I don't suggest removing the battery without consulting with your dealer.

Shaay

Edited by FordIVTteam

:try doing a master reset..what version of sync do u have gen 1 v 4.4?

Edited by fit1446

The instructions I provided is for the basic SYNC system. You have to use the ARROW key or VOLUME knob to scroll to SELECT SOURCE. If this does not work, I recommend trying a master reset: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync Idon't suggest removing the battery without consulting with your dealer.

Shaay

Ok I just did what Nick said and after reconnecting the battery I then saw the option "source". I dont remember seeing that before battery disconnection. Anyway Its working now and I'm very happy :)

Thanks guys you're awesome! Specially you Shaay.

• Like 1

Ok I just did what Nick said and after reconnecting the battery I then saw the option "source". I dont remember seeing that before battery disconnection. Anyway Its working now and I'm very happy :)

Thanks guys you're awesome! Specially you Shaay.

You're welcome! I'll be here if anything else comes up.

Shaay

• 6 months later...

You're welcome! I'll be here if anything else comes up.

Shaay

Hello Shaay, I hope you read this but I have run into same problem again! After I press the menue button, the option "source" is not there! very strange indeed.

In fact even after I take the usp stick out, a message says usb disconnected but still shows sync line in and none of the arrow keys do anything.

I have no idea how to do that. But why would this happen every once in a while?

Hi fe2102,

I can't say why this has been happening, but you can find the reset steps here: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync/phone-setup/how-to-perform-a-master-reset.html?sync=sync

Cara

Edited by FordIVTteam

Hey fe2102,

Step #1 is needed if you have a phone connected to SYNC. You can skip to step #2:

• On the SYNC screen, press the MENU button.
  • Press the DOWN ARROW button until SYNC SETTINGS displays on the screen then select OK.
  • Press the DOWN ARROW button until MASTER REST displays on the screen then select OK.
  • A confirmation message displays on the screen; press YES.
I hope this helps!
Shaay
Edited by FordIVTteam