FORD's long term reliabilty?

Denicio

So I gotta ask. How widespread was the 'engine dying while in motion' problem?

1 out of 10?

1 out of 100?

Is it even answerable?

Nobody knows. Look at the thread here. Seems like it was limited to the 3.5L but I may have seen someone talk about the 2.7L having the issue. Seems like it may be a rarity.

You will drive yourself nuts if you look in to every reported problem on forums. You'll end up in a Camry.

Excellent reply! Thanks for all the info.

So I see various mentions of the current Sync but not really sure what the problems are.

Also, is the 2015 edge a redesign? As you say that's reason enough to take pause.

I've totally eliminated any Nissan product in my search now. Way to much crap about that CVT.

It 'appears' that Subaru has admitted to the windshield crack issue and are fixing those cars but other complaints are about the wind noise generated from the side mirrors. Its apparently pretty obnoxious! I have been tempted to go check out the Santa Fe Sport.

Something is telling me to be cautious of the 2015 edge. Its hard with the DEEP cuts in prices they are giving. Crazy deep!

Depends on which Nissan you're looking at. The 2016 Murano CVT is fine (from what I can tell), although 2 or 3 people have posted a rather bizarre issue where it "jerks", but apparently fixed with some sort of computer reprogramming. If I remember correctly, it was the 2012 or 2013 Murano CVT that had some pretty bad issues and a 2009 something from Nissan (maybe it was the Murano as well with water leak issues?). Again, specific models can have issues that are later fixed. Go to carcomplaints.com or Consumer Reports and you can see what I mean. I *think* the 2016 Murano was predicted reliability, but I could be wrong on that (will have to check consumer reports site again).

I personally found the CVT in the Murano to be the best of the 3 that I test drove. The other 2 were Subaru forest and Outback 2.5i Limited. Not that any of them were bad/anemic, just that the Subaru's were LOUD. 85db on my sound meter for the Outback. Murano cabin got maybe 74 or 75 db. Noticed a "little" engine noise if I stomped on the gas at low speeds.

But I did not test drive the Rogue or any other Nissan.

@Evilkid,

Thanks for the informative reply. Good info here.

My wife drives a new Honda HR-V and its just perfect for her. Its a 'neat' Small SUV but not for me. I need something with a bit more power. For performance and towing. Right now the only thing Honda has that can tow is the beastly Pilot. I've owned one and they are great SUV's but with my kids grown and out of the house I don't need THAT MUCH car. The CRV looks nice in its redesign but it cant tow. Toyota's highlander is a looker but near the price of a lexus and a quick walk over to the highlander forums and you will see the multiple threads on how bad the JBL system sounds in that car. I need a good stereo. Music is important to me.

It seems that ford's finally worked the bugs out of MFT right as they are phasing it out. Hmmm. Wonder if the new one will take years to get right? They are apparently in the new explorers.

Hearing of your leak problem is concerning. I wont be getting an AWD but it speaks to continued 'issues' that seem to be part of the Ford brand. My dad's always owned fords. His fords are always going into the shop for minor little things beyond the regular maintenance. This is alien to me as I have owned Japanese cars most of my adult hood and only deal with oil changes for the most part. My mazda has been the exception but its only been in the shop for the updates to the catastrophic infotainment system they cant seem to get working properly. Good news is the updates only take a few minutes and a USB drive. Not gaskets, sealants and engine flash updates that the Edge seems troubled with.

At this point I am holding off on the 2015 Edge and waiting to see what the 2016's bring. Its just that the 2015's have such HUGE discounts right now. With the friends & family discount and other discounts I could save nearly 4000 on a new 2015! I am torn.

The guy up the road has an Edge with MFT and hates it. Has had it lock/freeze up several times and will be getting something else when his lease is up. My Uncle had an early one with MFT and had the same thing. Although from what I've read, most people have had the issues resolved with the latest firmware/update. But since Ford says they're only committing to 5 years worth of updates for MFT, I don't want to buy a 2015, especially when I'm going to keep it significantly longer.

Sync3 supposedly will bring Carplay/Android Auto, but it's not been 100% confirmed.

Unfortunately for the Titatnium AWD Trim with Driver's assist that I want, NOBODY in my area has any in stock at all. Friends and whatever discount won't do me any good. The 2 dealers (actually there's like 4 or 5 in the area, but only 2 have ordered the Titaniums) have had Titaniums on order for going on 3 months now (keeps getting pushed back due to Quality issues at Ford).

Given that, and what Truecar reports, I can probably get the same pricing later, but I'm definteily waiting for 2016 model year and even then, probably next November, should have about 6 months of "reliability" reports to come back. I can actually wait 2-3 more years and may buy used. Or I may end up with a Kia Sorento. I really like the Edge interior styling (except on the SEL model where they put the stupid console controls all the way to the bottom where the shifter knob is in the way--I can't test drive the Titanium, so I don't know what it looks like other than pictures). Really like the exterior styling (other than the funky sculpting on the hood). Thought it was very nice and quiet, but then again wasnt' on 19" wheels either.

Lucky for me I don't have to get anything now. (watch my car blow up on the way home now). But I'd really like to be able to nail down my "dream" car (if such a beast exists). On the plus side, this gives me time to save up more money for it!!!

I kinda look at car deals like timeshare "deals". You know, the ones that "disappear" when you walk out the door? They'll always be there, maybe not advertised, maybe you have to haggle more, but I'm pretty sure you can get it for the same price you originally negotiated, maybe even less when you're ready.

Good luck!!

All good thoughts and info.

I had the exact same thought about the current radio being phased out. "Do I want to buy something knowing its obsolete?"...literally 10 minutes ago.

I think I need to slow my roll and just be patient.

I'd have to be REALLY convinced there is a substantial difference in quality/reliability on the 2016's when the 2015's are still being held up a month and a half before the end of the year.

Maybe that's my answer. I am looking for rock solid reliability in Ford and the level I see is just not there. Too many issues all in 1 year. You build a house brick by brick. If there are many little bricks that are questionable then how sound is the house?

I spent some time over in the Explorer forum today. Not a lot of comforting info there either. I REALLY liked the Edge I drove but I simply don't have the confidence in Ford that I do with Honda or Toyota. I may in fact be looking for a purple squirrel!

Outback's have loads of complaints and even some videos about the wind noise created by the side mirrors. Its got many of its owners very upset.

D

To the OP, you should get something else, and don't waste your time with the Ford Edge. With that being said, I have a 2015 Ford Edge Sport with a late May build date, and I have zero issues. I love the vehicle, and look forward to driving it whenever I get a chance. Good luck on finding a vehicle that is 100 percent perfect for you.

Edited by blitz118
  • Like 1

Good luck with air bag & sudden acceleration issues :) But yeah, I get what you mean. We all have certain brands that we hold dear.

I spent some time over in the Explorer forum today. Not a lot of comforting info there either. I REALLY liked the Edge I drove but I simply don't have the confidence in Ford that I do with Honda or Toyota.

People don't jump on the internet and search for vehicle specific forums to gloat about how great there car is. They clean it and drive it around. They are either here to complain about their random problem or what they feel might be a prob, or are very interested in learning about the vehicle with info they can't find elsewhere.

Myself I don't worry too much because I lease, but if I was buying I think i would take these forums with a grain of salt. With all the new tech on cars nowadays I couldn't see myself sticking with one for 5+ years.... would feel like i'm driving a Packard Bell if you get that reference :)

BTW I love my Edge Sport

Edited by Brad Luczak

Myself I don't worry too much because I lease, but if I was buying I think i would take these forums with a grain of salt. With all the new tech on cars nowadays I couldn't see myself sticking with one for 5+ years.... would feel like i'm driving a Packard Bell if you get that reference :)

BTW I love my Edge Sport

I miss my old Packard Bell! I used to play Mega Race on it all the time as a youth.

People don't jump on the internet and search for vehicle specific forums to gloat about how great there car is. They clean it and drive it around. They are either here to complain about their random problem or what they feel might be a prob, or are very interested in learning about the vehicle with info they can't find elsewhere.

BTW I love my Edge Sport

Bingo! When I find a good resource of info. about something I am interested in I pull up a chair and hang out awhile. The more I learn about this new Edge the better informed I become about which options I purchase and those which I omit. For better or worse, all cars today are "fluff" delivery systems. Gone are the days where long lasting durability counts for much in today's market place. Mega sun-roofs,multi screen vehicle connectivity systems, auto-stop, 9 speed auto. trannies are just problems in waiting.(IMO) I am not sure what the designed life cycle of all the ecm's, ecu's, and bcm's are that control these features, but you can bet you will see some sad times about the time that the long term warranty expires. I just try to buy a vehicle with as little fluff as I can, but these days it's not an easy job. Fluff is everywhere! :doh:

Obviously living in a cave far away from all those nasty ECUs has it's own benefits and thus some market :)

But I don't miss the choke valve, mechanically operated wipers and manually opened windows instead of AC. I love "fluffs" :)

Same here I want all the fluff, and bells and whistles. I love the advanced enhanced park assist on the Edge Sport, and will not purchase any future vehicles without that option.

Unrelated to this topic but my hand's been slapped about creating new threads.....

My super cool salesman at Ford babysat me for about 2 hours last night. I got to try the Sync3 in the Escape. Man that's a killer freaking Infotainment system. Fast & responsive. I spastically jumped menus and functions trying to get it to crash. Could not do it. It would not crash. Now my phone was not connected via BT so I was just using my Ipod. BUT the Santa Fe Sport that I recently drove COULD be crashed in the same way. Just hangs. Sync 3 seems well thought out and rock solid.

I drove an Explorer too for grins and giggles. Cool truck but its too huge for my needs. THEN he said I should try the Edge Sport. He warned me of its power. I was unprepared. That thing is a freaking ROCKET! We were doing 80 on the interstate and I punched it and it glued us back to our seats! It has the kind of power I like to call "This will kill me" power. I have no business with that much power, me thinks. We then jumped back to the Edge Titanium that I drove on sunday. Not as much power but enough for what I need. I've dismissed just about every car in its class and the Edge has EVERYTHIGN I need and want. Here is my struggle. Do I wait for the 2016 to get the Sync3? The MFT seemed slower in the Titanium vs the Escape with Sync3. The bell that keeps ringing in my ear is the fact that I can have about 4000.00 in discounts on a new 2015. That's nothing to sneeze at. BUT knowing that I suffer from 'battered wife syndrome' because of my mazda3's infotainment....it gives me the brain pain. My heart (and wallet) want to jump now..my brain tells me to wait. How happy are you guys with the MFT in your 2015 Edges? Are you loosing BT connectivity? Are you seeing MFT lock up and not reboot?

At this point the only car that checks off all the boxes on my list of needs/wants/desires is the Edge. Just wonder if I should wait for Sync3/2016.

• Like 1

No issues with MFT or Sync locking up. My iPhone 6 and Samsung S6 both keep connection no problem. I have had a lot of luck with Sync between my '11 Mustang and the '15 Edge.

The only issue I have is the Navigation. Just too slow/laggy to input a new address. But I usually use my phone anyway.