Motortrend SUV of the year issue - January

GT500R

So I received the January 2016 issue of Motortrend and started reading the specs on the Edge Sport they tested.

0-60: 5.7s

1/4 mile: 14.3 @ 96 mph

Some comments:

- Generally quiet interior

- Liked folding / reclining / one-touch folding rear seats

- Sync was a bit slow

- Ton of interior rattles to match (lol)

- FAST!

But what caught my eye is the Lincoln MKX

335 hp and 380 lbs torque

0-60: 6.4

1/4 mile: 14.7 @ 94 mph

Which begs the question, why so much slower? MT advised it was due to 200 plus (224 lbs) pound weight penalty was why it was so much slower.... interesting, the .4 would maybe be 400 lbs difference, but I think there is more to it..maybe trans gearing?

PS - Volvo XC90 won the SUV of the year. Styling is OK, but meh...

Yes they were all tested at once. And adjusted to same conditions - SAEs J1349 procedure as a guide to correct all test results to standard operating conditions of 77 degrees F, 29.32 inches mercury barometric pressure, and zero-percent humidity

I guess the extra ho and tq didn't make up for the weight at all interestingly enough.

I remember this came up a while ago and I don't think we ever decided on a definitive answer. Was quite a bit of debate on that the actual curb weights were (listed differently all over the interwebs).

Maybe heavier wheel/tire combo on the MKX or other significant unsprung weight differences?

As you know GT500R, the answer is just put on the Livernois tune and go :)

I'd guess it is also because of the tranny. As far as I remember, the torque limit was 350 lb-ft for the 6F55 transmission. Which was supposed to be the reason why the FWD based 3.5 Ecoboost engines were all limited to 350lb-ft of torque. I was surprised to see them announce the MKX with 335hp & 380lb-ft, more than even the RWD based F-150 (325/375). So it the PCM might be cutting off power considerable at shift points to protect the transmission.

I remember reading all about that testing and who won the SUV of the year and came away from it feeling less than satisfied. Not because I was wanting the Edge to do well, but that Ford in general has been dogged so much by Sync 2. If that is the worse thing you have to say then I'm not sure that should count for that much. I have enjoyed Sync 2 for the most part. Can it be better, absolutely, but it is not the dog they make it out to be...

Does the magazine go more into the reviews and testing than the youtube videos? If so I may have to buy the Mag...

Edited by chicagoslick

I'd guess the as tested weights were more than 224 lbs different - lots of heavy options on most MKXs. Plus torque management. Also the MKX requires premium gas to get those numbers - if they used regular that would account for some of it.

Don't put any stock in the winner of any of the MT "OTY" contests. It's all about the marketing plan and how the winner plans to advertise the award and not the technical merits of the vehicles.

I'd guess the as tested weights were more than 224 lbs different - lots of heavy options on most MKXs. Plus torque management. Also the MKX requires premium gas to get those numbers - if they used regular that would account for some of it.

Don't put any stock in the winner of any of the MT "OTY" contests. It's all about the marketing plan and how the winner plans to advertise the award and not the technical merits of the vehicles.

Agree....

Now the one thing I recall them praising the MKX about was the Revel sound system. I think one of the guys, who tested, said it was one of the best systems he had ever heard in an automobile....

I actually looked at the MKX and thought I might get one. After looking at it in person I thought the styling was too bland for my taste.

Edited by chicagoslick

My wife and I test drove a 2.7 MKX and I was very confused....with the added hp and torque I thought it would have been quick, but compared to the sport it was quite subdued.

One of my tests was acceleration from 60 kph to 90kph....the sport would hit hard and pull like a beast.....and the MKX was un-inspired...it pulled ok, but did not incite any adrenaline rush like the sport.

Edited by cds71

My wife and I test drove a 2.7 MKX and I was very confused....with the added hp and torque I thought it would have been quick, but compared to the sport it was quite subdued.

One of my tests was acceleration from 60 kph to 90kph....the sport would hit hard and pull like a beast.....and the MKX was un-inspired...it pulled ok, but did not incite any adrenaline rush like the sport.

That is the entire point of the luxury car market for the vast majority of people. They don't want that large jump or the throw back feel but they want adaquite acceleration. As some of the very high end car manufacturers quote their hp and tq figures to be "adaquate"...

Of the luxury SUV's, I tested just about all of them. The only ones that felt inspired or sporty were the QX50(almost sports car like, just no interior space), MB GLA45 AMG(small again, but a rocket ship and that exhaust note is beyond satisfying), BMW X1/X3 3.5i models,(the smaller engine ones felt boring) and RR Evoque(not as fast as the others just was a fun vehicle). All Lexus offerings were sluggish and sloppy on the road, Acura felt refined but boring, and their seats do not fit a 6'5" guy like myself very well. Have never had trust for Audi/VW and the model that interested me was outside my price range(Same with porcshe). Ended up choosing the Edge Sport as it felt every bit as equipped as the luxury offerings but still has that raw American power feel I love.