Edge Stalled / Lost Power After PCM Flash

edgetb

I have a 2015 Edge 3.5L. We previously experienced the loss of power / stall issue (see http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19171-edge-loss-of-power-stalling/).Dealership had the vehicle for about a week addressing this issue and a couple of other items.

On Tuesday evening this week, our Edge stalled again--the first time since the PCM flash. This time, we were driving and the vehicle stalled. We were able to stop safely, and the vehicle started again after putting it in park.

I contacted the dealer the next morning. Our salesman is a long-term employee and superb. Within the hour the dealership had involved 6 people including the owner. They asked us to bring the vehicle to them. They put us in a new Edge with only 8 miles in order to drive during a holiday trip and told us they would get this problem fixed.

I am really pleased with the dealership. I am also concerned about whether they or Ford can get this problem fixed.

Anyone else have the PCM flash and then their Edge stall after the PCM Flash? We have also lost about 3mpg in average mileage since the PCM flash.

Wow, kudos to the dealership for taking prompt, decisive, and positive action! Is the new Edge also 3.5 or did you choose a different setup this time.

Unusual to lose mpg to a reflash, unless they recalibrated the fuel system or speed monitors somehow.

They haven't traded cars with us...at least not yet. We are just driving this one until they resolve the issue.

Ford Customer Service is now involved and talking with the dealership. The Ford Customer Service Manger that is handling the case called this afternoon and stated that he would call me back on Thursday to advise me on what actions Ford and/ or the dealership would be taking.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the Edge from the dealership today. Ford had them replace the PCM, and Ford is offering me a 100,000 mile Premium Extended Service Plan. The best they are able to say is that they are "hopeful" it will not stall again. The dealership suggested I drive it 10-15 days before accepting the warranty. We will not give up any rights by accepting it. Dealership said they just cannot guarantee the vehicle is fixed. We will drive it--cautiously--and see.

Dealership also replaced all 3 tail light assemblies as all had water droplets in them. They replaced them with the Sport model lights, which is a nice upgrade to our SEL. They said they have seen water in the tail lights of a few Edges on the lot, and they think a recall could occur in the near future.

• Like 2

I have a 2015 Edge 3.5L. We previously experienced the loss of power / stall issue (see http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19171-edge-loss-of-power-stalling/).Dealership had the vehicle for about a week addressing this issue and a couple of other items.

On Tuesday evening this week, our Edge stalled again--the first time since the PCM flash. This time, we were driving and the vehicle stalled. We were able to stop safely, and the vehicle started again after putting it in park.

I contacted the dealer the next morning. Our salesman is a long-term employee and superb. Within the hour the dealership had involved 6 people including the owner. They asked us to bring the vehicle to them. They put us in a new Edge with only 8 miles in order to drive during a holiday trip and told us they would get this problem fixed.

I am really pleased with the dealership. I am also concerned about whether they or Ford can get this problem fixed.

Anyone else have the PCM flash and then their Edge stall after the PCM Flash? We have also lost about 3mpg in average mileage since the PCM flash.

My wife has the 3.5L Titanium and this has only happened once. I was hesitant to report it to the dealership as it had never happened before and was doubtful they would be able to replicate the issue. I has not happened since but it was kind of scary having the car just shut off in a flash. Luckily we were on a side street with no cars in sight. Do you think i should take her car in to have it checked?

Bad news for the last repair attempt.

One day last week, the Edge would not start, and this after Ford had the dealership replace the PCM last week. After several attempts, it finally started, ran rough and then smoothed out. About the same time we began to notice that the MPG and the Fuel History were were wildly inaccurate. The pictures included in this post show some Fuel History graphs as high as 40MPG. Today when I returned the vehicle to the dealership, it recorded a 26MPG AVG for the 15mile trip on two-lane, hilly roads. Saturday, the Powertrain Fault Indicator illuminated when we started it, and it remained illuminated until we turned off the Edge. Additionally, we have had the Advance Trac Fault and Airbag Fault indicators illuminate while the vehicle was running (see pics).

Since we purchase the Edge in September 2015, it has spent 24 days in the shop (18% of the time we have owned the vehicle). This morning, we returned it again to the service department. The dealership has been great, and they put us back in the new 2015 Edge they gave us to drive the last time. Ford Customer Care says they will not buy the car back, and I must work with the dealership or begin the lemon law process. The dealership is advocating with Ford on our behalf and also advised us this morning to begin the lemon law process.

The Edge has no stored codes in it (they checked this am). The dealership is baffled. They previously performed the PCM flash and then the PCM replacement per Ford's recommendation. We continue to have issues. The Service Manager suggested this am that he suspects there is an issue with the throttle body, but he would have to talk to Ford as they have no additional TSBs or instructions from Ford regarding what to do.

Pic4 ServiceAdvTrac.12.014.15

Pic5 Powertrain Fault.01.16.16

Pic3 40MPG.01.14.16

Pic1 26AvgMPG.30MPG.01.16.16

This is almost exactly what was happening with my 2015 Sport. Ford ended up buying it back - but only once the owner of the dealership got involved. The first Sport stumbled while accelerating (I called it "blips" in accelerating) among other things. It left the service manager at my dealership stranded so they knew I wasn't full of it. My replacement Sport has been problem free thus far though.

• Like 1

We need to keep in mind that the issues reported by edgetb & djrjr are on different powerplants. One with throttle body and one with direct injection.

They both use a throttle body, that's what regulates the air flow. Direct injection squirts the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, while regular fuel injection squirts the fuel behind the intake valve.

If I remember right mine was built in February of 2015. One other 'defect' from the factory was that the rear light bar on the hatch was one from an SE or SEL ... it did not light up. I've noticed other Sports and Titaniums online that appear to have the incorrect middle light bar, as well. I know that isn't related to the issue but thought I'd throw it out there.

When were your Edge's manufactured? Just wondering if there was a run of edges that are buggy? OR if its hit and miss with them.

Also, was this happening to each of you after a certain number of miles are on the car?

Mine was built 16.04.2015.

The first time it stalled was at about 4,500 miles.

Edited by edgetb

• 3 weeks later...

Final Update on my stall / loss of power issue.

My Edge has been back at the dealership since 01/18/16. They were waiting on instructions from Ford about what additional steps to take as flashing and replacing the PCM has not resolved the issues we were having. When I hit 30 days in the shop for warranty issues, I followed GA's Lemon Law process and formally requested Ford to buy it back.

During the last two weeks, a representative from Ford's Dispute Resolution Program has been in regular contact with me. Yesterday, he called, and reported that Ford has approved my request for to buy it back. The reacquisition department is to complete the process during the next 40 days, and we will be in a new vehicle.

The dealership has been exceptional throughout this entire process. Even now, we are driving a new Edge they loaned to us to use during this time. Likewise, Ford has also been responsive, fair, and thorough. We could not ask for better. These are machines. Most of them work as intended. Some do not. We had one that did not, and Ford is making good on it.

My Recommendations:

1. You can buy a car anywhere, from anyone. You can only get great support from a great dealership, and if things go badly, great support is priceless.
  2. Document, document, document. I presented Ford with pictures of error messages and a detailed spreadsheet of significant events related to this stall / loss of power issue. My dealership said it was one of the best they had ever seen, and I am confident it made this process come to a positive result more quickly.
  3. Read, understand, and follow your state's Lemon Law. GA has a great website that makes it easy to understand and to complete the necessary documents. GA's site also provides templets of letters. http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-services/lemon-law-complaint-process
  4. Be patient and be friendly with the dealership and the folks with Ford Customer Service. They went the extra mile for us, and while I wish we had not had to go this route, they made it the very best experience possible.
  5. Be loyal to good service. We will buy our new vehicle again from Akins Ford, Winder, GA--small town with a huge Ford/Dodge dealership (http://www.akinsford.com/)-- and if you call, ask for Mac!
Edited by edgetb
  • Like 4