Chrome wheels

LJEDGE

The issue is not with the "chrome Cladding" rather with the outside exposed metal rim which the wheel weights are attached to. I have peeling/flaking issues on all rims. The plastic is good. Was the issue of the outer lip of the rim addressed by the new manufacturer Lacks? I am about to take the car in for this issue, and do not want any crap from the service manager about replacement.

The issue is not with the "chrome Cladding" rather with the outside exposed metal rim which the wheel weights are attached to. I have peeling/flaking issues on all rims. The plastic is good. Was the issue of the outer lip of the rim addressed by the new manufacturer Lacks? I am about to take the car in for this issue, and do not want any crap from the service manager about replacement.

You shouldn't get any 'crap' from your service manager. These wheels seem to be a fairly wide spread issue. Plus I don't think anyone has had a problem with the chrome cladding, only with the clear coat coming off of the wheel lip. From what I have seen and heard the problem only exists on the 18" CHROME CLAD wheels. The 18" aluminum wheels I haven't seen or heard of any problems with these. So when someone says they have an issue with their Chrome Clad Wheels, they aren't talking about the chromed plastic hub cap.

Also, for a little added insurance and for looks, when I get my rims replaced next month, or so, I am going to have them put the weights on the inside lip and/or glue them to the inner part of the wheel behind the face of the wheel. All the custom wheels I have had this is where the weights have been put on.

You shouldn't get any 'crap' from your service manager. These wheels seem to be a fairly wide spread issue. Plus I don't think anyone has had a problem with the chrome cladding, only with the clear coat coming off of the wheel lip. From what I have seen and heard the problem only exists on the 18" CHROME CLAD wheels. The 18" aluminum wheels I haven't seen or heard of any problems with these. So when someone says they have an issue with their Chrome Clad Wheels, they aren't talking about the chromed plastic hub cap.

Also, for a little added insurance and for looks, when I get my rims replaced next month, or so, I am going to have them put the weights on the inside lip and/or glue them to the inner part of the wheel behind the face of the wheel. All the custom wheels I have had this is where the weights have been put on.

Thanks Izzy, I have the stick on weights on the inside of the rims on my "Stang. I think it is horrible to put the wheel weights on the outside of the rim....I wasn't sure if they could use the weights on the inside of the rim. If so, this is what I will have done.

Mike

Yes, your correct. It's a corrosion issue, just on the outer edge where the weights go on. I haven't had any problems or concerns with the Chrome Cladding, I guess some have though. I tried the stick on weights, just on the inside when my first set of wheels were replaced. Then I developed a slight vibration at highway speeds. I took it to a buddy of mine that has a tire shop and he put the "Coated Weights" on the inside and on the outside and the vibration was gone after that. I'll live with one ugly weight on the outside, if I don't have to deal with any vibration issues.

Thanks

Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Wife's '09 Edge limited made in 8/08 with chrome clad 18" wheels has stick-on weights (LOTS of them) on the center of the rim. NO clip on weights. Don't know if I have the newer wheels or not since the new wheels came out in the same month as my manufacture date.

Jim

• 4 months later...

08 Chrome Clad Issue

My girlfriend just took her Edge in to get the Wheels looked at today and they said there was nothing they could do for her. From what I'm reading here that's a bunch of BS. I have attached the pictures I just took to plead the case. She has had the car for about a year and 5 months but only has about 8500 miles on it. She drive to the subway stop about 1/4 mile from her house to get to work every day. Everything else about the car is in mint condition. This is terrible. You pay all that money to get the upgraded RIMs and all you get is garbage. Does anyone have any hints to getting Ford to replace the RIMs? All for RIMs have the issue. Some just worse than others.

Thanks in advanced!

post-7003-1247702272_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702281_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1247702285_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702293_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1247702298_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702303_thumb.jpg

08 Chrome Clad Issue

My girlfriend just took her Edge in to get the Wheels looked at today and they said there was nothing they could do for her. From what I'm reading here that's a bunch of BS. I have attached the pictures I just took to plead the case. She has had the car for about a year and 5 months but only has about 8500 miles on it. She drive to the subway stop about 1/4 mile from her house to get to work every day. Everything else about the car is in mint condition. This is terrible. You pay all that money to get the upgraded RIMs and all you get is garbage. Does anyone have any hints to getting Ford to replace the RIMs? All for RIMs have the issue. Some just worse than others.

Thanks in advanced!

Hi cobra. :D It is often hard to tell from pictures, but it does look like corrosion in some of the photos you provided. Just curious, what was their reasoning for saying there was "nothing they could do for her"?

It can only be a design defect, a defect in material/workmanship or damage caused by road debris/contact. Did they claim it was damage caused by road debris/contact? Because if they are not claiming that, then it is a design defect and or a defect in material/workmanship and covered under Warranty.

If your current Dealer will not do anything to help, try another Dealership. You are not required to have service done at the Dealership where you purchased. If you still get no satisfaction, then call Ford Customer Relations and request that your car be looked at by the Regional Service Representative from Ford.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck. :beerchug:

08 Chrome Clad Issue

Thanks in advanced!

post-7003-1247702272_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702281_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1247702285_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702293_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1247702298_thumb.jpgpost-7003-1247702303_thumb.jpg

If that dealer doesn't want to help you go see another dealer. If that doesnt help contact Ford Customer service. They'll take care of you.

They said there was nothing they could do because it was corrosion caused by rock salt.

We didn't get to talk to the tech's because we had to pick it up off hours so we weren't able to argue in person which doesn't help.

I have a Sport Trac Adrenalin with Chrome Rims (factory). NOT "Chrome Clad" and the truck is 5 years old. NOTHING wrong with them.

I drive the highway everyday and don't have any "ROCK" chips. The picture above showing the spoke mainly - if you look hard at the spoke they said a rock caused that to chip away. It looks like all the "Chrome Clad" is just going to peal off if it is left alone. She barely drives the car and never really at high rates of speed. Just hard to believe.

Ill going to make some phone calls to other dealers in the area.

Thanks! I'll keep you updated!

• 1 month later...
My wheels are looking a little odd around the lip of the "cladded" cap. Also, my grill has developed a couple of bubbles...will post pics tomorrow. Mine is an 07 with 22K miles. 18" wheels.

If you complain to the dealer where you bought the car, they will replace the rims. Also, with the Continental tires that came on the car, they wore out in 28,000 miles. I complained directrly to the Continental Tire website and as a sign of good will, they gave me a new set for 50% off. With the rims, the dealer will act like he doesn't know about any problems, but, they all know and if you make enough noise, they will replace them with a newer type.

• 5 months later...

Well, here it is, 10 Months later and I need another set of wheels. They look horrible.

I love my Edge, I really do, but I can't keep doing this wheel thing.

My car has 18k on it and is a little over 2 years old.

Am I the only one having this kind of problem?

I really take care of my car too. I always power wash the salt off during winter months.

Here are a few pictures that were taken about a week ago. It's without a doubt a Corrosion issue from rocks hitting them, and then salt getting under the clear coat..

Thanks

Dom

post-1800-12646908706534_thumb.jpg

post-1800-12646908825849_thumb.jpg

post-1800-12646908925939_thumb.jpg

post-1800-12646909034513_thumb.jpg

post-1800-12646909146154_thumb.jpg

The 20" chrome clads on my wifes edge don't have the outer rim problem, they had large bubbles of chrome flaking off the plastic. We had one replaced last summer. I expect more this spring.

You see, the 20" wheels have the outer edge covered with Chrome Clad, unlike the 18" Wheels that have a clear coated aluminum edge. I'm trying to find a set of 20's as I think I will have less problems with those. Or I can run the 18's in the winter and put the 20's on in the Spring.

Thanks

Dom

You see, the 20" wheels have the outer edge covered with Chrome Clad, unlike the 18" Wheels that have a clear coated aluminum edge. I'm trying to find a set of 20's as I think I will have less problems with those. Or I can run the 18's in the winter and put the 20's on in the Spring.

Thanks

Dom

Only the 20's had problems from what I remember, not the 18's.

The 18's have the problem of the outer clear coated aluminum rim pitting and flaking. The 20's have the issue of the plastic cover coming loose and clicking when turning.

Yes, you are correct about the loose covers. I've heard of no real chrome issues with the 18's, just the outer aluminum lip corrosion and pitting on the 18's. I've heard of a small handful of the actual chrome clad itself bubbling on both the 18's and the 20's, no real big numbers though.

I've decided to go for the 20's in the nicer weather and run the 18's in the bad weather and have tires mounted on them both, so it's an easy swap when I do swap them.

• 5 months later...

Well, here it is, 10 Months later and I need another set of wheels. They look horrible.

I love my Edge, I really do, but I can't keep doing this wheel thing.

My car has 18k on it and is a little over 2 years old.

Am I the only one having this kind of problem?

I really take care of my car too. I always power wash the salt off during winter months.

Here are a few pictures that were taken about a week ago. It's without a doubt a Corrosion issue from rocks hitting them, and then salt getting under the clear coat..

Thanks

Dom

My wifes 2007 has the 4th set of 18" chrome wheels on it currently. They corrode after each winters use. Ford will go broke

replacing these wheels. They keep saying that it is a new part #, but the design is terrible. I'd sooner have the plain wheels, but

the dealer is only allowed to replace with the wheels that came on the Edge originally.

As soon as warranty runs out, the corroded wheels will be our problem. I guess that's what Ford is counting on.

My wifes 2007 has the 4th set of 18" chrome wheels on it currently. They corrode after each winters use. Ford will go broke

replacing these wheels. They keep saying that it is a new part #, but the design is terrible. I'd sooner have the plain wheels, but

the dealer is only allowed to replace with the wheels that came on the Edge originally.

As soon as warranty runs out, the corroded wheels will be our problem. I guess that's what Ford is counting on.

The dealer is allowed to offer you an alternative wheel.

You just might have to pay the difference.

• 2 months later...

If you have problems with the chrome wheels and ford does cover it under warrenty you can only get the same wheels as a replacement. Ford will not pay a warrenty claim if you replace them with a different part number than what came on the car.

I have an 08 Limited and the car is great except the wheels like yours. I have the 18" and the wheel edge has started to pit on all four. I had one replaced under warranty ( No questions asked!). The other three fell outside the warranty period. Ford was only willing to pay 25% the dealer was willing to kick in another 25% but that left me with a $400 plus bill. I didnty bother. I expect I will get a set of aftermarket in the future. I have had many alloy wheels on my cars and never had a problem with them. I think Ford knows it. I bet they get rid of them in the near future.

• 4 months later...

At 2000 miles the right front developed a bubble about an inch in diameter about half way between the hub and the rim on one spoke. No sign of damage inflicted to the wheel. Dealer is ordering a replacement under warranty. Ironically I read that one reason Ford went to the chrome claddng was the high warranty claims from pitting on "real" chrome wheels.