Ford Edge 2016

t0lkman

Hello there,

I'm interested in buying Ford Edge 2016, and I have couple of questions.

1) Does this car have good noise isolation? From 1 to 10 how do you find it noisy compared to your previous vehicles?

2) What trim do you think worth its money? Currently, I'm leaning more towards "SEL"

3) What tires do you suggest? 18,19 or 20". I find 19" not very popular and see their prices usually highest.

Thanks!

I can't fully answer #1. For 2016 they added more noise isolation in the glass according to the order guide.

For #2, you really can get the majority of the tech in the SEL unless you want self parking and adaptive cruise/steering. But it really depends on your must haves. The Titanium has a bunch of nice visual upgrades such as ambient lighting and the LED tail light ring. It also has heated rear seats and air conditioned front seats, HD radio with 12 speakers and different leather color options. You get to save a thousand or so dollars by equipping a SEL with 201A + tech + utility + sunroof compared to a Titanium with 301A. So that's a deal if you don't care about the appearance upgrades of the Titanium.

for #3, again it all depends on your vanity. If you like showy wheels, get the 20 or 21. If you are all about saving a buck or two and avoiding curb rash, get the 18 on the SEL or 19 on Titanium.

I travel a lot for work and my favorite rental is a loaded Titanium Edge. One of the things that got me looking a the Edge for my own daily driver is how quiet it was...

It was that or a Taurus and I like sitting higher, so Edge. :)

To your questions:

1) Yes. I put it up there with an Audi A6 I used to have. I'd rate it 8+ (I'd think a 10 would be a Tesla with zero engine noise).

2) Sport for me. It's all about that more aggressive stance, non-chrome look, black wheels and molded tail pipes! LOVE!!!

3) Back wheels I think means 21" wheels on the Sport.

Thank you for your replies! I think "Titanium" probably would be my choice.

Another thing is, I've read a lot about PU leakage. Do you think AWD worth it? Have you really ever noticed the difference AWD vs FWD?

I was thinking maybe I should pass on AWD and avoid PU leakage problem completely..

Thank you for your replies! I think "Titanium" probably would be my choice.

Another thing is, I've read a lot about PU leakage. Do you think AWD worth it? Have you really ever noticed the difference AWD vs FWD?

I was thinking maybe I should pass on AWD and avoid PU leakage problem completely..

I don't yet own an Edge, but feel I should reply, anyway. In anticipation of purchasing, I've done a ton of investigating. I've read in a couple places, or have seen a video, which talks about the torque steer of the Edge..... and I believe it's in all the engines. (Hopefully, akirby, or some of the regulars to this Forum can chime in.)

Anyway, supposedly the torque steer is severe enough that the folks doing the testing of the Edges recommended the AWD as a safer choice, or more pleasant choice. The Edge just has quite a torque, even in, or even especially in, the 2.0 engine. Since I don't have the personal knowledge, please just check it out, or, as I said, hopefully you experts will chime in. The torque wouldn't care if you lived in a warm, dry climate.... but it might depend on the type driver you are? (Oh, and I don't know even what is PU leakage..... but I don't think it has anything to do with wearing Depends?) Jack

Hello there,

I'm interested in buying Ford Edge 2016, and I have couple of questions.

1) Does this car have good noise isolation? From 1 to 10 how do you find it noisy compared to your previous vehicles?

2) What trim do you think worth its money? Currently, I'm leaning more towards "SEL"

3) What tires do you suggest? 18,19 or 20". I find 19" not very popular and see their prices usually highest.

Thanks!

I was curious about noise insulation, I owned a 2011 Ford Rdge SEL and waiting for my 2016 Edge Titanium, I test drove both SEL and Titanium Trim and Titanium was much less noisy.

Also if you go on you tube there is a channel (you probably already know about it) "Alex on Autos" he actually measures the decibel levels in cars he test. He measured Edge Titatnium same level as Luxury level Lexus and BMW.

• Like 1

I was curious about noise insulation, I owned a 2011 Ford Rdge SEL and waiting for my 2016 Edge Titanium, I test drove both SEL and Titanium Trim and Titanium was much less noisy.

Also if you go on you tube there is a channel (you probably already know about it) "Alex on Autos" he actually measures the decibel levels in cars he test. He measured Edge Titatnium same level as Luxury level Lexus and BMW.

That Alex on Autos video is very well done. It helped when we were deciding which options to order with our Edge.

Interior noise level was an important point for me. On our 2007 Honda Civic it was impossible to hold a conversation at highway speed with all the wind/road noise. The HVAC was also like sitting in a wind tunnel. As you mentioned, to get a quiet interior you need to make the jump to a luxury brand, which I didn't want to do.

• Like 1

That Alex on Autos video is very well done. It helped when we were deciding which options to order with our Edge.

Interior noise level was an important point for me. On our 2007 Honda Civic it was impossible to hold a conversation at highway speed with all the wind/road noise. The HVAC was also like sitting in a wind tunnel. As you mentioned, to get a quiet interior you need to make the jump to a luxury brand, which I didn't want to do.

Yo u are correct, thats why I was surprised when I test drove New Edge, its so close to luxury brands, they did a great job, I had no intention to see my 2011 but I was so impressed I decided to switch, Waiting since september. Hopefully soon.

• Like 1

Can someone inform as to what "PU" is?

The torque steer is certainly is VERY present on the sport. To me it felt like the the tires were letting go. Very strange feeling. This only happened when I goosed the car and was only present for a short time ( 1-2 seconds) until it evened out. I thought something was wrong until the salesman informed me that it was torque steer. Than I thought it was very cool. We ARE funny creatures. Its annoying until its cool...... Anyway ordered my sport last week.......Sure I will get used to the torque....I mean that's why I bought the thing.

To ME it felt like I didn't have steering control of the car, like it was floating. It's just a sensation I felt when I really pushed it. Just not used to it. Calms down quickly. Have you tried driving one yet?

Yeah, that's torque steer. The power of the engine actually pulls the wheels to one side.

From wikipedia:

Root causes for torque steer are:[2]

• Incorrect sidewall ply design allowing deformation of the tire sidewall.[3]
  • Asymmetric driveshaft angles due to any combination of
    • Unequal driveshaft length or diameter
      220px-Torque_steering.gif
      Torque steering effect simulated using MSC Adams.
    • Transient movement of the engine
    • Tolerances in engine mounts
    • Body roll
    • Single wheel bump
  • Different driveshaft torques left to right (due to wheel bearing or differential problems)
  • Suspension geometry tolerances
  • Unequal traction forces due to road surface (µ-Split) in combination with kingpin offset

Yeah, that's torque steer. The power of the engine actually pulls the wheels to one side.

akirby--Thanks for chiming in..... and all the rest of you, also...... because I didn't really know what I was talking about. You who mention Alex on Autos..... this is one

of the guys I was talking about who mentioned torque steer. He actually recommended AWD over FWD because of it. Here is his video on the Edge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZhdVrfM4Ao In this, at about 16-minutes, Alex says this is the quietist crossover he has tested, and at about 17 minutes, he talks about the torque steer..... mentioning AWD is his recommendation, mostly on the Sport model. His is a very good review of the Edge, and he also touches on the competitors. Jack

Any time you get over or close to 300 hp in a FWD vehicle you're bound to get some torque steer. That's why almost all 300+ hp FWD vehicles come with AWD standard. The 2015 Edge sport was the exception, but now for 2016 it's only available in AWD.

BTW - you only feel it at WOT or close to it - in normal driving it's not there or it's at least not significant enough to worry about. Even then it's just a nuisance. It's not like you lose control.

• 7 months later...

In FWD vehicles it's mostly due to unequal length halfshafts.

I've only driven a AWD 2.0L Edge and I didn't notice much torque-steer. What I did notice is that it was a bit gutless and that the pedal feel and transmission were a bit sensitive/jumpy. I was leaning FWD drive to get/retain a bit more HP out of the engine, but this torque-steer comment in a few places has me a bit concerned.

I thought AWD only kicks in when wheels slip; why would it come into play during hard acceleration on a dry road?