Outside air temp sensor not working

Jonathan Lynch

Hi all. Got my 2016 Edge Sport last weekend. Noticing that the outside air temp never updates. After the car has been off for a number of hours, it will take an initial reading, but that never changes afterwards, until I turn off the car again for a number of hours. Making the climate auto control pretty useless. Taking to dealership tomorrow to have LoJack installed and will ask them to check it out. Anyone else noticing this? Any fixes?

So went to the dealer today. Temp sensor has been working, kind of. Fiddled with it a bit with my finger through the grill (it's under the right headlight, towards bottom, and behind the grille. Seems the issue is that it works differently than my 2012 Edge. That sensor updated continuously. My 2016 sensor seems to need a little sustained speed (around 40 mph for a minute or so). Unfortunately for me, I live in Los Angeles traffic hell, and rarely get on the freeway. Have an appt to have it checked, but not until first week of March. Anyone else getting this issue? Are my deductions/observations about speed correct? Anyone? Bueller?

My cousin's Cruze (I know, I know not at all a Ford Edge) does the same thing in regards to being slow to update the outside air temperature. The solution was in finding the logic behind when it updates:

If the vehicle is driven at:

25-40ā™¦km/h (15-25ā™¦mph), the display will update after 5 minutes.
41-60ā™¦km/h (26-37ā™¦mph), the display will update after 2 min 30 sec.
61-100ā™¦km/h (38-62ā™¦mph), the display will update after 1 minute.
Once the first temperature update begins, the outside temperature display is refreshed every 2 seconds.

Ā 

Ā 

I wonder if the Edge has similar logic built in.

Ok, found this on another site. It is from the 2013-2014 Ford Escape Repair Manual, but the Ambient Air Sensor is the same part # as the 2016 Edge. Thus, this info probably applies to me. LA traffic is to blame for my problem....

Ā 

Ā 

Outside Air Temperature Display

Ā 

The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor provides the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) data used for the outside air temperature display in the IPC. The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor is hardwired to the PCM through separate input and return circuits. The PCM provides a reference voltage to the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor and monitors the change in voltage resulting from changes in resistance as determined by outside air temperature. The PCM filters the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) input and sends the BCM the air ambient temperature filtered message over the HS-CAN. The BCM sends the air ambient temperature filtered message to the IPC over the MS-CAN.

Ā 

Due to the location of the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor in the front grill area, it is greatly influenced by heat generated from the engine compartment at low vehicle speeds and at engine idle. For this reason the outside air temperature value displayed in the IPC does not update in the upward (hotter) direction under 33 km/h (20 mph). This update strategy is used because the PCM is unable to determine whether the increase in temperature is truly from an ambient temperature rise or by heat generated from the engine compartment.

Ā 

The outside air temperature display in the IPC updates in the upward (hotter) direction under either of the following situations:

Ā 

- if the vehicle is driven over 33 km/h (20 mph) continuously without the vehicle speed dropping below 33 km/h (20 mph) for approximately 90 seconds.

Ā 

- if the vehicle is allowed to sit with the engine off for approximately 6 hours (the outside air temperature display in the IPC immediately updates to reflect the current ambient conditions since the engine has cooled sufficiently and no longer has an effect on the outside air temperature sensor reading).

Ā 

NOTE: If the vehicle speed drops below 33 km/h (20 mph) before the outside air temperature display in the IPC begins to update, the PCM logic resets and the time starts over.

Ā 

Because this filtering strategy exists, it may be necessary to drive the vehicle continuously above 33 km/h (20 mph) for approximately 90 seconds when observing the outside air temperature display operation. After the vehicle has been driven above 33 km/h (20 mph) for 90 seconds, the outside air temperature display in the IPC starts to rise (filter upward), increasing toward the actual outside air temperature. Depending on the difference between what the outside air temperature is displaying in the IPC and the actual outside temperature, it can take several minutes for the outside air temperature display in the IPC to reach the outside temp.

Ā 

The outside air temperature display in the IPC does not filter in the downward (colder) direction and always displays the coldest temperature detected by the sensor even when the vehicle is stationary. When the outside Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) is lower than the temperature displayed in the IPC, the IPC immediately updates the displayed temperature downward to reflect the colder ambient air temperature, even at idle.

• Like 3

I wouldn't mess with that area as it is already optimised for proper air flow into the condenser/radiator and aerodynamics. Also some models have active grille shutters in the same area.

Ā 

I remember for the 2011+ MKX already, there are two different parts for the support behind the grille (the black mesh piece with holes in it) for tow & non-tow models, again confirming the airflow dynamics.

Ā 

Edit: the parts can be seen here.

Edited by omar302

• 8 months later...

I have a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium and the outside temperature don't work, it change some time but never indicated the proper value, I left 2 time my Edge at my Ford Dealer , each time they changed the sensor

The problem remain the same, only the value display is different

Ā 

Does some body has the same problem and how was it fixed?

Thanks

Francois

Edited by frmichaud

• 3 weeks later...

Ithink my technician found the problem of the wrond display of temperature

They found water and oxydation in Connector C140 located in the Left Front Fender masqued by the liner, it is necessary tu peplace the 2 pigtale male and female and replace them

I have the 2 parts in order and they must be replaced nex week , I will let you know the result

Francois

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The issue with my temperature sensor is that it reads way higher when I start my car in the morning after sitting overnight. So when I use auto start in freezing temperatures, it'll read in the 60's or 70's meaning there is no heated seats or defrost coming on when it warms up.I did drive in frigid temps this past weekend with some snow and lots of road salt so I am wondering if this is having an effect on it.

Ā 

Looks like I'll be taking it to the dealer. Not even 5K miles on it yet...sheesh.

Edited by Mirage52

Just started the car. Said temp was 113 degrees. It's in the forties.

Ā 

Just called the dealer to schedule a service time. Apparently they need to diagnose the problem before I can have a loner. They said it'll take a day to diagnose the issue. I said just turn the damn car on and look at the temperature!!!

Ā 

So they want me to drop the car off 10 miles away, figure out a way to work and back 18 miles away, and then bring the car back when they can work on it and I can get a loaner.

Ā 

WTF, man. WTF.

Ridiculous. The diagnostic would tell them what to replace. They can see it's broken in 2 seconds. Can you try another dealer?

I know, right? A joke.

Ā 

I'm taking it in first thing Monday morning and asking them to diagnose the problem while I wait. I'll have about an hour. Then they can keep it and fix it and I will be on my way with a loaner, or I will just take the car to work and look elsewhere for a fix. There's another dealer closer to where I work, so that'll be my fallback option.

Ā 

Just hoping that this is dealer speak...I've bought two cars at the dealer in the last 5 years.

Edited by Mirage52

@Mirage52...In the mean time disconnect the battery (negative) terminal for a few minutes to see if that clears the issue. Did I read that right...you have a 13 with 5000 miles on it?

I can't figure out how to change my account settings to update my current Edge. It's a 2017 with under 5K miles.

Ā 

I'll give disconnecting the negative cable a try...but I am thinking with all the salt and grime on the roads this past week that the sensor or cable connection might be gunked up. We'll see if the rain we're supposed to get the next few days fixes the issue. I may also take it through a car wash.

Edited by Mirage52

Click on your name in the upper right.

I have changed it but it won't save.

Ā 

Anyway, the check engine light came on this morning and now the gauge seems to be stuck on 50 degrees.

Ā 

I'll try disconnecting and reconnecting the negative cable on the battery tonight but my guess is that the sensor is shot or something is bad with the connection.

Edited by Mirage52

Had the local Autozone pull the code. Outside air temp sensor. Service at a more convenient dealer on Monday.

Ā 

It was funny. Went in and asked the guy if he could pull a code. He asked what year was the car. I said 2017. He was like, already? After he was like, "boy I sure would be upset if my 2017 Ford Edge Titanium was throwing codes all ready." I was like, "me too."

Edited by Mirage52
  • Like 2

Had it in at the dealer, they replaced the sensor, told me that there were no more codes, check engine light was out...so what happens when I get back into the car? See that the sensor is still reading 80 degrees when it's really 28. I tell the guy at the dealer and he just sighs. Looks like this will be a lingering issue...taking it back to the dealer once they get a loaner.