2016 Edge Sport - no more low fuel warnings or vehicle health report

So low fuel warning FINALLY came on with 20 miles till empty. The fuel gauge turned a yellowish orange and "Low Fuel Warning" message appeared on left LCD screen. The remaining fuel gauge was a thin orange line, which did little to reassure me that I will be reminded about fuel. Guess I have to re-establish those 20th century skills of actually paying attention to my fuel level and when to fill up. I preferred my 2012 Sport which sent out a reminder when tank reached 1/4 tank level.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe I read somewhere that the low fuel lamp comes on based on your driving style.

Inasmuch as the manual tells you that it's unreliable during the first thousand miles, would seem that it's developing a history to operate off of. (I'm making an assumption based on the information on page 179 of the owners manual).

Edited by enigma-2

Believe when I let it run low, it pops up in that same neighborhood.

I would guess that city driving, 40 or 50 miles would be more than enough. Highway 80 or 90 would be more appropriate.

Older generation (2007-2014) Edge/MKX had the low fuel light first come on at exactly 80 km to empty, then at 40km, then at 20km & finally at 0. (Not sure of miles since I use metric but probably 50, 25 & 12 miles). Also, whenever the car is restarted with less than 80km to empty the low fuel warning would come on. The same behavior was also in the 2008 Taurus I had & on a friend's 2013 Explorer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the same problem (or at least I thought it was a problem) and took the car to the dealer. The technician showed me an excerpt from the service manual (not the user one which is very vague) stating that the warning will come up when the fuel level in the tank is 1/16. It is plausible then, that the DTE value the warning will come up will be different each time because it will depend on the current average fuel consumption used by the system to calculate it.

I have seen this discussion on the Mustang forums as well and nobody has ever provided a satisfactory answer to the question "why would you want to run down to nearly empty?" I have a low fuel light that I have only seen once... and that was done deliberately just to see it work (the gauge turns red). Otherwise I always try to fill up with between a quarter and a half tank remaining. That's something that was drilled into me growing up in Canada and never changed even when I moved south. In snow country you don't want to get stuck somewhere without enough fuel to keep warm if necessary, and even here you don't want to risk getting stuck in a traffic jam for hours and running out of fuel. On a long interstate trip I tend to let it get a little lower to reduce stops (as long as I don't have my wife along) but with normal driving I see no reason to avoid a five minute stop to fill up.

Can someone explain it to me?

For me it's just laziness - I like to go as long as possible between fillups unless I expect I may have to make a long drive or get stuck in traffic. Luckily that almost never happens. But I usually get gas around 20-30 mte. I have gotten to single digits when we couldn't find a convenient gas station but that wasn't on purpose.

My wife was also taught never to go below 1/4 tank and obviously that is safer.

I agree it is a laziness thing, coupled with how much you drive. When I didn't drive much it was no big deal to keep filling up at quarter or even half a tank as sometimes that was every 10 days or more.

I drive 75 miles round trip every day for work, plus extra mileage after work or on the weekends. Sometimes I just don't feel like having to stop for gas every second or third day to "fill up". I run it down and go once a week.

I live in cold weather and agree in winter months I'm less incline to let it go that long. Also with it being a newer car I don't mind as much. An older car I try to keep full as I had a fuel pump go from sucking a bunch of crap up in the filter.

I'd like to think the first year or two on a brand new car there isn't enough in the tank to have that be an issue *fingers crossed*