Intro - 2015 Edge Sport - Tuxedo Black

cjh

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the

H-15 LED DRL's, were your original dlr's hid or halogen ? Are they both, dlr's and high beam lights ? Are they plug and play with no issues ?

I'm going from halogen and looking at led conversion kits for both, but figured I'd start with the drl's.

Are you looking for actual LED headlight bulbs? Your factory halogens are 100 times better

That's what I was looking to do, just about everything else on my Edge is LED. I like the way the LED DRL's look on cjh's sport, I know he has HID headlights, just wanted to know if his original DRL's were halogens. Trying to make this as much plug & play as possible, I was also wondering if I could just swap out the halogen headlight bulbs and put in the DS-3 HID bulbs ? I've read on another thread that the projection lens is different from the HID to halogen, but at about $750ea (minus bulbs) changing out the headlight assemblies is not an option. I would consider a HID conversion but would want something that would be as close to a factory install as possible, not crazy about having exposed resistors as many of them do. Some of the LED kits I've seen has everything contained in the headlight assembly, that's why I was looking to go that way.

That's what I was looking to do, just about everything else on my Edge is LED. I like the way the LED DRL's look on cjh's sport, I know he has HID headlights, just wanted to know if his original DRL's were halogens. Trying to make this as much plug & play as possible, I was also wondering if I could just swap out the halogen headlight bulbs and put in the DS-3 HID bulbs ? I've read on another thread that the projection lens is different from the HID to halogen, but at about $750ea (minus bulbs) changing out the headlight assemblies is not an option. I would consider a HID conversion but would want something that would be as close to a factory install as possible, not crazy about having exposed resistors as many of them do. Some of the LED kits I've seen has everything contained in the headlight assembly, that's why I was looking to go that way.

The DRLs on all Edges are halogen. Not sure I exactly understand your question, so I'll just explain.

SE, SEL, base Titanium: all halogen headlights with the DRL being the projector beam (set on a lower intensity than the low beam). The high beam on these models is located where the DRL is on the Sport and upper level Titaniums. An LED DRL swap is not possible on these models unless you plan to have an LED low beam as well, which as mentioned, is a TERRIBLE idea. I had them in my Fusion and it was awful.

Sport and upper level Titanium: bi-xenon projector HIDs with the DRL in the inner portion of the light where the high beam is on other models. An H15 LED DRL swap is possible and takes all of 5 minutes at most.

Thanks for the info, the light configuration on my Titainium is the DRL's are in the inner part of the headlight but the also act as my high beam, the projection lens is low beam only. To be more specific with my question, Are the H-15 LED bulbs you put in your Sport both DRL's and high beam ? Are am I correct in assuming that on the HID headlights they act as DRL's only and you bi-xenon headlight is both high and low beam.

• 1 month later...

Titanium without HID:

Low beam is in the projector, also serves as DRL, manual states bulb # H11LL (H11)

Note: this can be changed to a HID bulb, with an upgrade kit

High beam is in the reflector housing, manual states bulb # 9005LL (9005)

Note: this should not be changed into a HID bulb, high risk of blinding oncoming drivers

Titanium with HID: Same as sport with HID

Sport without HID:

Only saw one, appeared to be the same configuration as the Titanium without HID

Sport with HID:

High and low beam is only the projector housing, a shutter moves to reveal the rest of the bulbs beam. Bulb: (D3S)

Options: http://bit.ly/2aKkhWv Have not purchased this, but it should be the same as the factory D3S

Note: These can be upgraded

The DRL is in the reflector housing. Bulb: H15

Options: http://bit.ly/2auvA5u Ebay: H15 80W LED Found this bulb type to be better as it operates at 16W which is close to the factory H15 Halogen 15W vs the H15 50W LED which operate at a lower wattage. Also I like this seller, bought several colours, all looked great - white 6000K was the brightest, shipping was long but still arrived on time.

Note: do not use the H15 LED for your highbeam, they will suck.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the information, I stand corrected, my Edge is the non HID configuration. 9005 High beam (reflector) and H 11 Low beam & DRL (projection lense) At this point I'm either going to go with a brighter set of halogen bulbs, or see if I can change out my halogen headlight assembly's with factory HID's. I have access to a set from a rear end collision, just need to find out if they are able to be programmed to my Edge or if it's a plug and play swap.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the information, I stand corrected, my Edge is the non HID configuration. 9005 High beam (reflector) and H 11 Low beam & DRL (projection lense) At this point I'm either going to go with a brighter set of halogen bulbs, or see if I can change out my halogen headlight assembly's with factory HID's. I have access to a set from a rear end collision, just need to find out if they are able to be programmed to my Edge or if it's a plug and play swap.

We're all here to help each other out.

Brighter halogens will be the easiest and most compatible option. If you were to swap a housing, the light control module would have to be reprogrammed if its even possible.Not to mention the wiring harness might not have the correct wiring for a HID housing.

check out this thread: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20964-2016-edge-sel-would-sport-headlights-fit/?do=findComment&comment=155880 we're trying to figure out the same thing.

Edited by Beezz
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a 2015 Sport with HID headlights and H15 DRL. I tried swapping to LED for the DRL today and they wont turn on. Any suggestions? I understand you need to be out of park with auto lights on to see the lights go on, but nothing on either side. Bulbs tested and work w/battery.

44 minutes ago, ontherise72 said:

I have a 2015 Sport with HID headlights and H15 DRL. I tried swapping to LED for the DRL today and they wont turn on. Any suggestions? I understand you need to be out of park with auto lights on to see the lights go on, but nothing on either side. Bulbs tested and work w/battery.

did the H15 work prior too? if you are in the US, are your DRLs turned off in the left gauge cluster menu? I've never changed this bulb because I simply have it turned off as it's completely useless

10 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

did the H15 work prior too? if you are in the US, are your DRLs turned off in the left gauge cluster menu? I've never changed this bulb because I simply have it turned off as it's completely useless

yes, they did work no problem. they are also turned on in the cluster menu.