change all four tires at once

lpgao

enigma-2 - In regards to your 1st post here, if you read the information available in the 1st page of this thread, you'll realize that this is mainly just a sales tactic... Or a case of misinformed tire shop employees who just don't know any better.

I was also told the same thing by local Ford dealer and Monteith Tire. Monteith did have the same brand and series and told me that I needed to put on the same size and tread if I needed to replace. Asked why about tread and had to do with the stability system or breaking (maybe both, they were talking (and talking) about what happens if the tread is different with AWD on ice. At the time it seemed to make sense. Do remember that it didn't matter if it was only FWD.

Ā 

However, owners manual only requires same tires on each axle - seems to allow different tread designs between front and back axles. From a personal preference, I would prefer same tires on all axles.

Edited by enigma-2

Ā 

The stability system is designed to account for that, it doesn't actually know how much grip can be produced by each tire, it just reacts to what's actually happening. But it is true that mixing tires is never a good idea, it can ruin the steering and handling feel of the vehicle and make it more difficult to control in an emergency.

Ā 

To lpgao - if you're going to put two tires in storage, I'd put the two Pirelli's in storage (or sell them) and put all 4 of the same tires on the vehicle. Also sounds like you have not been rotating them, so make sure you do that every 10K km or so. Keep in mind that even in storage, tires do age. If you keep those things in your basement for 5 years they will not be as good as they are now.

Many thanks Waldo for your great information.

Ā 

I never did rotation on my tires as I have my Edge just 2.5 years, and it has total 160k KM. Now I put 4 new Goodyear tires. I attached photo here to show everybody the difference between fron and rear tires. Front one is done, but rear one is still prety good.post-28394-0-78784800-1461726082_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to revive what looks like a dead topic, but I'm having a similar dilemma!

Ā 

I recently just bought a used Edge (08) and took it to the dealership for a service.

Ā 

The main thing he noted was that "all 4 of the tyres werent the same" but that they were all in good condition and to only change the front 2

Ā 

all tyres are P245/60R18/104H, 2 Bridgestone on the front axel, 2 Michelin on the rear axel, the tread is about 90% identical and they have exactly the same wear from the penny test!

Ā 

Is it necessary I even change the tyres? do I have to do 2 or 4? why oh why did I go from a 2WD to an AWD! :D

Sounds like you have good tires on there at least, even if different brands. As far as tread evaluation etc, that is not the only defining characteristic of a tire's handling capabilities. for AWD, it is always going to be recommended to have all 4 changed at once, and to keep the tires rotated. What is current tread depth on the tires?

Ā 

But if the wheel tire height is the same, and there is sufficient tread on the tires (will depend on your conditions what that amount is), then usually the front tires will wear out more because this is really a FWD platform. If you keep them rotated, then you will be replacing all 4 at the same time. If you don't (not advisable on AWD), put the rear tires on the front, and new tires on the back.

Ā 

The AWD system is sensitive to differences in wheel/tire height at a certain point. But I think it defaults to FWD if it senses an issue in that regard. You'll know when it happens, very noticeable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Ā 

So far i havent felt it default to FWD, its been pretty consistant in AWD from what i can tell.

Ā 

My concern is that the difference in tires will damage the drive train or something, but atthe same time, i dont want to fork out for 4 new tyres as these are in excellent condition!

Ā 

Not too sure of the exact tread depth, but both tyres tread are identical (at most 1mm out from one another)

Ā 

Cheers!

I don't think the AWD will get damaged, but will it be at its' best? That's a different story. As long as you are not in a critical situation (very rare), I'd say not to worry too much about it, if it is driving well now. Just remember the Edge is FWD most of the time, and don't press your luck, and you will be fine.

Ā 

Definitely measure/have the depth measured though. Not sure how you would know how different they are for sure otherwise.

• Like 1

IMO the same tires on and AWD Edge and you buy two new ones is an acceptable way to do things. Just make sure they are the same model and brand. The AWD system is not as sensitive as the TIRE BARKERS are saying and they are in it for the cash. I have done this with 4WD and AWD with not one issue. Two new ones ont eh rear and older worn ones on front. Once you get more cash and the tires are at about 4/32nds (I know 2/32nds is the wear bar) I replace mine at 4/32nds This is really not a big deal.

• 8 months later...

You DO NOT have to change all 4 tires at once. Nor do you HAVE to have the exact same brand/model on all 4 wheels. As long as the overall diameter of all tires is REASONABLY close, you will NOT do any damage to your drivetrain, etc. This idea of damaging your vehicle if you don't buy 4 tires at once js simply a sales tactic.

I always do a 4 tire rotation when I rotate my tires, ie. LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, RR to LF. I did that procedure when I had my 4x Explorer and I intend do follow that procedure with my AWD Edge, All 4 tires are the exact same - Goodyear Eagle RS-A P245/50R/20 Speed Rating H.

Ā 

I disagree that Goodyear is the "cheapest brand out there." The G'year Eagles are very highly rated tires, some of the industry's best sellers, and are OEM on some very pricey high end cars. Does Goodyear make some cheap tires - sure they do for people who want to buy cheap tires. So does every other tire maker. Are there better tires out there? Sure there are. Some people say Pirelli's are the best tires money can buy, some say they are junk. Same with any product. But to say that Goodyear is the cheapest brand out there when tomorrow I can go to "Speedy Pete's MegaStore Tire Outlet" and get a set of "SuperZoom ElectraDynamo P245/50R/20's" balanced and mounted for $259.95 is ridiculous. Also, Goodyear will rotate your tires free of charge at any Goodyear store in the country even if you are not there for any type of service, I believe that Sams and Costco will do this also.

Ā 

That said, I always buy tires in sets of four's. If rotated properly at the appropriate intervals and kept properly inflated, they should wear evenly as long as the vehicle is operly aligned, is in good operational order, and operated under normal driving conditions.

Ā 

XXXXX

Ā 

Mac - is 4/32nds pretty close to 2/16ths? What about 1/8th? I don't think my Harbor Freight Digital Caliper depth gauge with handy carrying case and extra battery (only $11.99 with the 20% coupon!) can handle that precision!! (Jes' kiddin' Mac. Jes' kiddin') :victory:

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

I always do a 4 tire rotation when I rotate my tires, ie. LF to LR, LR to RF, RF to RR, RR to LF. I did that procedure when I had my 4x Explorer and I intend do follow that procedure with my AWD Edge, All 4 tires are the exact same - Goodyear Eagle RS-A P245/50R/20 Speed Rating H.

Ā 

I disagree that Goodyear is the "cheapest brand out there." The G'year Eagles are very highly rated tires, some of the industry's best sellers, and are OEM on some very pricey high end cars. Does Goodyear make some cheap tires - sure they do for people who want to buy cheap tires. So does every other tire maker. Are there better tires out there? Sure there are. Some people say Pirelli's are the best tires money can buy, some say they are junk. Same with any product. But to say that Goodyear is the cheapest brand out there when tomorrow I can go to "Speedy Pete's MegaStore Tire Outlet" and get a set of "SuperZoom ElectraDynamo P245/50R/20's" balanced and mounted for $259.95 is ridiculous. Also, Goodyear will rotate your tires free of charge at any Goodyear store in the country even if you are not there for any type of service, I believe that Sams and Costco will do this also.

Ā 

That said, I always buy tires in sets of four's. If rotated properly at the appropriate intervals and kept properly inflated, they should wear evenly as long as the vehicle is operly aligned, is in good operational order, and operated under normal driving conditions.

Ā 

XXXXX

Ā 

Mac - is 4/32nds pretty close to 2/16ths? What about 1/8th? I don't think my Harbor Freight Digital Caliper depth gauge with handy carrying case and extra battery (only $11.99 with the 20% coupon!) can handle that precision!! (Jes' kiddin' Mac. Jes' kiddin') :victory:

In your case I recommend running them down past the wear bars. With the wear bars touching the road you will have extra rubber on the road and better traction. LOL