2016 Ford Edge quality is shocking

Harvey Hanson

I have a 2016 Ford Edge sport - got it in January 2016. With 2500 miles these are the problems I have had to far, including the dealer visits:

• Damaged mirror car at pickup, replaced a week later at dealership
  • Window sills not sealed properly so wind noise >30mph, replaced passenger side sill at dealership
  • After passenger side window sill replacement found window sills still not sealed properly so wind noise >50mph is very noticeable, and now issue is noticeable on both sides, dealership still trying to fix, they seem incapable of fixing a window sill!
  • Steering wheel creaking, supposedly a faulty clock-spring on the steering mechanism with the part being on back order therefore waiting for a replacement
  • When turning off vehicle, there is a considerable screeching noise, dealership investigating
  • Adaptive steering failed at 2400 miles (was just coming out of my garage and then dashboard failure notice and adaptive steering now not working at all) so another dealership visit booked

Considering the 2016 is just a mid-life refresh and this is a $45k car, this is not good at all!

Edited by Harvey Hanson

I have a 2016 Ford Edge sport - got it in January 2016. With 2500 miles these are the problems I have had to far, including the dealer visits:

• Damaged mirror car at pickup, replaced a week later at dealership

What mirror? Why did you take delivery?

I have a '15 Edge sport that was built in Sept 2015 and I not 1 issue to be had, not even a rattle. 7k miles. Sounds like your Edge didn't end up at your dealership the same way it left the factory to be honest.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow - sorry to hear about your trouble. I just took delivery of a 16 Sport a few days ago and thankfully - I have none of those issues so far. I will say that as I turn the car off, and open the door I can hear what I think are fans spinning down under the hood. I wouldn't describe any of those sounds as screeching though.

Best of luck getting your issues resolved.

Wow - sorry to hear about your trouble. I just took delivery of a 16 Sport a few days ago and thankfully - I have none of those issues so far. I will say that as I turn the car off, and open the door I can hear what I think are fans spinning down under the hood. I wouldn't describe any of those sounds as screeching though.

Best of luck getting your issues resolved.

Yup I have the same thing with my '15 Sport. Normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried pushing it back in all along the edge; it's plastic, but nothing appears to be trying to snap into place. It may be that a plastic piece underneath broke off. I don't think there's adhesive under it. It's almost as though the heat from the sun has deformed it.

I'll swing by the dealer this morning. Only noticed it yesterday.

Follow up to the loose dashboard trim - took it to the dealer yesterday. Clips holding the trip in place has somehow spread a bit. The bent them back into position and snapped the trim back in.

It's holding it fir now, but the only thing that I can think if that would have caused them to deform to begin with is the sunbeating on the dash.

Will see if the fix holds.

I Have a 2015 SEL v6 (its a fleet vehicle). Got it on 1/1/16 and now has 11k miles on it. That squeaking when turning off is the accessory belt. I havent found out if its pulley, idler, or belt but thats where it is. Not a big deal I guess.

Ive had it die on me twice though driving 75mph on i95. First time dealer said it was a vapor valve stuck open and engine went into safe mode, but it appears that wasnt the case. It happened a second time and this time the dealer identified a throttle body malfunction. Turns out Ford is waiting, at the moment, for 2600 back ordered units for SUVs down across the US. My edge was down for 4 weeks waiting on the part. Thankfully I got it back last week and my company paid for a rental in the interim. Just be alert if you are driving and lose power. The dealer said the 2016s have the new throttle body and dont have the issue.

Best of luck with your issues.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Someone forgot or someone along the way took the Homelink visor that was supposed to come on my new 15. No biggie. Dealer will put one on at first oil change.

Other than that, it's perfect.

Same here. Mine was missing as well. Dealer had to order and install a new one.

My first 15 Sport was bought back by Ford. The replacement, also a 15 sport, didn't have the homelink. I asked if they could just take the homelink out of the first sport and put it in the new sport. They did but I wonder why there are so many without homelink.

My first sport also was missing the middle light bar - it had a non-lit SE/SEL taillight in the middle but had the correct outside taillights. Weird.

FORD really needs to get their act together on high volume repair parts. Any time I read about a recurring part problem a bunch of people post they are without their car for weeks or wait months before taking their car in to be fixed.

As a retired Purchasing Professional who worked for a little company named International Harvester as well as several other companies well known as popular brands, I bet I could fix that problem in less than a year!

My Wife drove a 1988 Mustang GT hatchback with plastic taped over the left rear window for THREE MONTHS, December, January, & February of '88 and '89 because "Left rear fenders are backordered", even though they were building over 1000 cars per DAY with fenders. Every company I've worked for supplying service/repair parts took priority over new production. Not really, service parts shipped AND production went on as planned. I got involved expediting my car's fender and had a fender delivered within 24 hours, the included dent was no charge! I bet the good fenders went to production, the scrap fender sent to my body shop instead of being scrapped! Thanks FOR NOTHING FORD!

• 3 weeks later...
SSM 45936 - 2015-2016 Edge And 2016 MKX - Noise From Cooling Fans - Built On Or Before 6/11/2016

Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 MKX vehicles built on or before 6/11/2016 may exhibit a noise from the electric cooling fans, most noticeable right after the engine is turned off as they spin down to a stop. If the noise can be pinpointed to the cooling fan motor, install a new cooling fan motor and shroud F2GZ-8C607-E which was released for service to resolve this concern.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...